[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 37 KB, 500x392, aerodynamics of a cow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16959253 No.16959253 [Reply] [Original]

>study French and teach French
>study Latin and teach Latin and linguistics
>study Greek and teach classical studies
What is the most /lit/ choice?

>> No.16959256

if you'e not french and unemployed you're not /lit/. not complicated.

>> No.16959322

>>16959253
Try having an overbearing mother, an absent father and becoming an alcoholic with a Potemkin village of friends made through your last unsuccessful relationship that lends your barely together life a sheer of regularity. In the meantime, learn Greek and Latin. That should do it.

>> No.16959332

>>16959253
Ancient Greek but not teaching anything because fuck the academia and universities

>> No.16959345

>>16959322
>having an overbearing mother
check
>an absent father
check
>becoming an alcoholic
check
>with a Potemkin village of friends
I have no friends
>your last unsuccessful relationship
I'm a 28 years old virgin who's never been in a relationship
Yep, I'm thinking I'm /lit/

>> No.16959356

>>16959345
I'm almost a wizard too. How do you deal with the anxiety of being almost one? Do you have any hopes to even have your first gf or you have come to terms that will never happen and it's best to ignore it all together? Sorry for the overloaded question

>> No.16959384

>>16959356
>How do you deal with the anxiety of being almost one?
I read books. If it wasn't for them I'd killed myself long ago. I try to learn as much as possible and ask myself the question "what for?" as little as possible.
>Do you have any hopes to even have your first gf or you have come to terms that will never happen and it's best to ignore it all together?
Not really, even if it happens by some miracle I will still probably fuck it up because of my inexperience and personality

>> No.16959426

>>16959322
Check on all counts but luckily my overbearing mother never allowed me to partake in alchohol consumption

>> No.16959438
File: 261 KB, 1168x863, krishna radha cows.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16959253
Of those three, Greek

>>16959356
>>16959384
Take the Brahmacharya aka volcel pill

>> No.16959462

>>16959253
Learn Latin, Greek, french and teach classical studies

>> No.16959551

>>16959332
>because fuck the academia and universities
I meant teaching A-levels

>> No.16959582

>>16959253
Those are all pretty /lit/ choices. But for me it's the frogs.
>Baudelaire
>Sartre
>Camus
>Foucault
>Lacan
>Deleuze
>Derrida
>Houellebecq
>Bergson
>Badiou
>Benoist
>Beauvoir
>Montaigne
>Rochefoucauld
>De Sade
>Lafargue
>Cioran
>Pascal

>> No.16959586
File: 5 KB, 222x227, Giganoticer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16959345
Well, well. Two peas in a pod. Hello there, fren.

>> No.16959606

>>16959586
hello fren :3

>> No.16959607

>>16959582
Where are Debord, Barjavel, Guénon?

>> No.16959614

>>16959582
I never heard of any of these. They are probably not that good.

>> No.16960574

>>16959614
low quality bait

>> No.16960616

There aren't many jobs for Greek and Latin teachers. You can tutor but don't expect to find much after your postdoc. If you get a postdoc. They're also harder to learn, especially learn well enough to teach. You may get away with TAing bullshit Classics language courses (which are usually farmed out to grad students), but if you want a career, that's different. The professors aren't teaching the language classes, generally. Why would they hire you if your only skill is pedagogy? They want original research, whether it's in Classics proper or in some kind of classical philology. And then you have to understand, all Classics departments are contracting significantly right now, some are closing, and many more may close. This is a bad time to enter Classics willy-nilly.

If you just want to tutor Latin and Greek, my advice is to learn it on your own or in undergrad (don't even need to major for that), but only if you're sure. And only go to grad school if you are extremely, deathly serious and know the stakes. As I said, you may not even be able to go to grad school at this point, with the way the winds are blowing. Be careful.

French at least has the benefit of being easy to learn and apply in the economy. I always tell NEETs, at least start learning languages if you're doing nothing else. Not lazily either, actually learn them. You can learn French, German, and Spanish/Italian in the time it takes to learn Ancient Greek well enough to read it half-decently. Substitute any modern language you like.

So a better breakdown might be
>learn Latin/Greek as a side interest and tutor rich kids in them?
>go to grad school for Latin/Greek and most likely never get a job in Classics, and end up tutoring on the side at best anyway?
>learn 3-4+ modern languages in the same amount of time, which can also be done relatively casually (as a dedicated hobby) and needn't be your primary focus in life, and which can then be put on your resume?

If you mean teach French lit at a university, I imagine that is undergoing or about to undergo the same contraction as Classics. I also advise you to carefully consider whether you want to know the sorts of people who teach French literature. Go look at the French or Comparative Literature faculty of any major university, it's mostly Frenchmen and other Europeans who already know French fluently anyway, and they are just as postmodern as English departments.