[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 419x630, 9780393341768_p0_v3_s1200x630.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16956197 No.16956197 [Reply] [Original]

I just read it and I wanna govoreet about it with my droogs.
>Alex brutally assaults and rapes for kicks.
>Gets brainwashed into being a good boi.
>His torture is deemed inhumane because he has no control over his actions, and what is a man without choice?
But on a larger scale, this happens to all of us. Parents, public education system, government, media, etc. We get brainwashed from birth, and that influences, if not dictates, our choices.
>Alex gets "cured," becomes a shit bag again.
Meaning, you can't change who someone is? You can't force a circle to fit into a square. Or maybe, you can't do it quickly.
>Alex meets Pete, who is married. Decides he wants a wife and kid too.
droogs, this book is so rich. plz respond so we can talk about it more.

>> No.16956277

>>16956197
The biggest thing is, the authority figures in the book are often just as void of empathy as Alex is, the only difference is Alex doesn't resort to all the mental gymnastics and pious pretenses those in authority do to justify their ugliness. I watched the movie as a teenager before I read the book and I can remember feeling conflicted with how much of myself I saw in Alex, not the love of ultraviolence and mayhem, but the way that being an individual because you don't know how to be anything else can lead to suffering.

>> No.16956457

>>16956277
I haven't seen the movie. I wanted to go into the book blind. That's a good point. And even though he's a murdering rapist, you empathize with him more than the authority figures in the book. The narration is brilliant. I especially love how he repeatedly refers to the reader as his droog, brothers, etc. You become his droog whether you like it or not. You're on his side. So it allows you to see the world through his eyes very clearly.

>> No.16956506

>>16956197
Him meeting pete certainly wasnt why he wanted a wife and kid. it was a shock to him to be sure, but it only personified what he wanted before his meet with pete
He had already become more mature, long before even his incarceration. The lines where he adopts the "yes?" from Deltoid are evidence of that.
I also think there's one or two sentences buried somewhere that mentions a child before his hospitalization, but I might be misremembering.
>>16956457
>havent seen the movie.
Its a pretty faithless retelling of the story, even for movie standards, I wouldnt bother. important parts of the story are thrown out for no good reason

>> No.16956537

>>16956506
Sure, yeah. He cut out a picture of a baby from a magazine and carried it around with him. He was getting softer. He wasn't feeling the violence anymore. But it IS when he clearly puts what he wants for his future into words.

>> No.16956582

>>16956506
Eh Kubrick pretty much only made adaptations and he very much made them his own each time, so faithfulness isn't a great metric to judge him by. I really enjoyed it, it's got an incredible aesthetic for how significantly lower the budget was than any of his other movies and I liked the way it was able to present the violence to the viewer without implicit moral weight exerted on either side of the conflict, it made the viewer grapple with what feelings of pleasure or disgust arose in them when they were made to watch the gruesome acts, he kind of flipped the theme of the book to deal with violence in media. That said, this isn't /tv/ so I'll swing back around with some interesting trivia I learned about the book.

Apparently Anthony Burgess was falsely diagnosed with a brain tumor and believed he was terminally ill, he wrote A Clockwork Orange in like 3 weeks because he planned to write 5 novels that year so he could leave money for his wife since he thought death was right around the corner. Ironically, he ended up outliving her.

>> No.16956819

the nadsat language is tight. The story is ass.

>> No.16957254

>>16956582
My friend told me I should read about the author because, "Let's just say he didn't *want* to write. He needed to write."
I guess that's what he was talking about.
That's insane. Guy was a super genius.

>> No.16957749

I need to reread this. I had seen the movie lots of times and liked it so when i read it was such smooth reading, I think I read it in one seating. Prose is kino.