[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 614 KB, 967x1012, 1606840583629.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16919998 No.16919998[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Domesticity

Christcucks ideal of morality is over-domesticated, requires universal safety, and doesn't allow a person to fight back under any circumstances. A perfect religion for women

>love your enemy
>turn the other cheek

It's subversive to the basic premise of masculinity or human assertion. Greeks never would have had the balls to develop western culture with christianity's restrictive pussified framework.

Christianity in Europe only spread through the slave and plebians classes

>but muh kings converting

Yeah, a king in a newly democratized failing shitty empire makes an appeasement of the revolting lower classes by making the new religion one of domesticity so the plebs have two reasons to stop revolting and re-domesticate. Perfect.

>> No.16920008
File: 66 KB, 500x376, 1588631537288.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16919998

>> No.16920009
File: 40 KB, 640x628, 1494017130679.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16919998
But the virtuous pagan Europeans thought that Christianity was more virtuous so they converted to it.

>> No.16920016
File: 35 KB, 1425x625, British_Empire_1921.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes empires can't be built on a Christian foundation. We all should just larp as pagans.

>> No.16920033

If this is the best argument you could muster up you might have inadvertently done more harm to your own cause than Christianity.

>> No.16920036

>>16920016
Britain didn't exist before MED Christianity conquered them, that's like using America for your argument.

>> No.16920038

>>16919998
>masculinity
Speak for yourself

>> No.16920041

>>16919998
Go back
>>/his/

>> No.16920043

>>16920033
>I like being domesticated

Dilate tranny

>> No.16920053

>>16919998
We literally have no idea what an actual European pagan religion looks like. We are only able to approximate the actual traditions of the pagans through thorough analysis of texts like the Old Norse texts and of course those of the Greek and Romans, but in truth we can only guess what it looks like. You would essentially be inventing a new religion based on you best approximation of what an actual religion looked like. Instead, how about you ask yourself why the Romans willingly converted to Christianity over the centuries, despite risking persecution from pagans, until Constantine. Perhaps there is something to Christianity that your pagan ancestors understood but you don't? Also, maybe you should learn some more about Christianity before pulling out the "love your enemy" shit. If this was what Christians believed, we wouldn't have had the Crusades, the Reconquista, or literally any other war in Europe. You're just another faggot criticizing Christianity because you don't understand it.

>> No.16920055

Christians conquered pagans so hard there’s no way to be a true pagan ever again because their shit got eradicated.
>worshiping twigs and trees

>> No.16920075

>>16919998
>christianity is domestication
>early christian communities abolished history, barely any archeological remains
Underaged pagan larpers are an endless source of entertainment

>> No.16920082

>>16919998
Yeah I've thought the same thing myself. The truth is no one is actually a fucking Christian :-)

I grew up going to church in upper-middle class suburbia. All "christians" are hypocrites, rarely ever do they turn to the gospel on the mount when a moral quandary arises. Just sin and ask forgiveness and you go to heaven. A Christian empire is a misnomer. Christ promoted nonviolence. He promoted a lot of neat stuff, then died and a bunch of people took over his message and added all this mythological shit to convince the dumb sand people he was magic. There are no real Christians

>> No.16920092

>>16920082
>Everyone for the last 2000 years got it wrong. But I am the only one who truly understands the word of God
How brilliant

>> No.16920096

>>16920053
We do have a good idea of what pre-Christian Germanic and Mediterranean religion was like, though. Slavs don't need to have any clue what their ancestors worshiped, they just roll with it because of their biological incapacity for irony. This is why 1% of Russia are ethnic Rus polytheists. There's still Finnic polytheists practicing an unbroken lineage (the Mari, namely). The Balts were only "successfully" Christianized some 400 years ago, and there's people alive today whose great grandparents were Balitc mushroom-tripping shamans. But yeah we have no fucking clue what the Celts were on about, anyone who says they know is lying through their teeth.

Which is sort of an irrelevant point, as the whole "hah hah, foreigners forced a foreign religion on us so now we can't do anything else :^)" meme literally only applies to Abrahamism. The unbroken chain of tradition is important in Christianity because of how Mass works, but there was precisely nothing in Germanic (or Mediterranean) religion that would require such a lineage (ignore Mystery Cults). Odin is real, Odin talks to mortals, just ask him what he wants.

>Perhaps there is something to Christianity that your pagan ancestors understood but you don't?
Yeah, getting converted at swordpoint.

>> No.16920100

>>16919998
The only argument that matters when it comes to paganism, and the one every pagan fails to make with the exception of 1 maybe 2 that I’m aware of, is whether or not paganism is even valid. It’s like arguing whether a cart and horse is superior to a car as a motor vehicle without ever even considering if the cart and horse can be considered a motor vehicle, or is even an option.

The reality is it’s a made up reality. You have no relationship with these gods. You have no explanation of these gods. You have no rituals. No inherited tradition. Nothing. Arguing whether or not it’s better in this area or that area is worthless.

>> No.16920101

>>16920082
There are no Christians in America. Not even ironic or joking.

> Christ promoted nonviolence.
Christ's parting words to his Apostles were "sell your cloak and buy a sword".

The only physical object made by Christ in the gospels was a whip. Which he then proceeded to use non-metaphorically on the (((moneychangers))).

>> No.16920120
File: 140 KB, 736x272, Screenshot_20201201-140823_Chrome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16920096
The extent of our knowledge on Odin is that he was a semen slurping God.

>> No.16920127

>>16920120
>a Jewish psychiatrist said that christianity is a giant cover for institutionalized boyfucking because pagan religions are homophobic, take THAT fagans :^)
damn bro, you sure showed him

>> No.16920142

>>16920096
>Conveniently ignores my final point.

>We do have a good idea of what pre-Christian Germanic and Mediterranean religion was like,
No, we really don't. The most we know about is the Greco-Roman flavor of paganism, which is still dubious in many areas of concern. The Germanic tradition is even worse. Almost all we know comes from Christian scholars, Roman ethnographers, and the Norse texts, which is hardly enough to get a solid understanding of how it worked.

>but there was precisely nothing in Germanic (or Mediterranean) religion that would require such a lineage (ignore Mystery Cults). Odin is real, Odin talks to mortals, just ask him what he wants.
Except that we literally know next to nothing. Your ignorance in these matters is apparent by your assumption that there is some sort of Germanic paganism. In truth, the ONLY texts we have from the Germanic pagans is the Old Norse texts, which is just one branch of a wider tradition. We know nothing of Anglo-saxon paganism, nothing about German paganism, etc. The little scraps of evidence we do have, suggests the already clear proposition: that we can only use the Old Norse texts to conjecture what these other branches of Germanic tradition looked like, but there do seem to be significant differences to. Go ahead a read this if you to see a case study of what I'm talking about.
https://norse-mythology.org/gods-and-creatures/the-aesir-gods-and-goddesses/frigg/

>Yeah, getting converted at swordpoint
I guess paganism promotes domesticity

>> No.16920144

>>16920120
I've always wondered where this came from. Like, it obviously comes from The Construction of Homosexuality, but like, how did it even enter these arguments? Why do Christfags stick with it despite it completely BTFOing them? It's literally by a Jewish "sexologist" who unironically argues in favor of the spermatophagy theory (you see, Mass is ACTUALLY the ritual consumption of Jesus' cum), and that every Christian of importance was gay. Clovis literally converted because the Pope told him he'd be allowed to fuck altar boys, according to this freak.

It's baffling to me not only why any Christfag would even be reading this to get their hands on it (it's from "The Construction of Homosexuality"), but why anyone would think that this is even a good argument. So, what, your messiah is a gay Jew and your entire religion is about sucking down cum, and because you're a gentile you're inherently gay and polytheism is the only thing stopping you from sucking dick? Seriously? How is this supposed to be a dunk on Pagans at all?

>> No.16920152

>>16919998
Parmenides, Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus, Proclus, Damascius etc proactively refuted Christianity and firmly placed polytheism as the highest wisdom.

People only think Christianity is worthwhile if they skipped the Greeks. Never skip the Greeks.

>> No.16920156

>>16920142
No, I addressed your point directly. You have no idea what you're talking about, and it shows. We know plenty. You don't read, but I'll still cast pearls before swine anyways. Here's a good starting place:
>Fire, Water, Heaven and Earth. Ritual Practice and Cosmology in Ancient Scandinavia
It's on libgen.

>> No.16920158

>>16920152
You believe the early church fathers skipped the Greeks, huh?

>> No.16920163

>>16920152
The Christian god is defined as the λογοσ. This is why the pagan philosophies morphed into Christianity. Try better next time

>> No.16920167

>>16920158
Yes. Most of the Church Fathers were woefully unfamiliar with the Greeks. This isn't really fair, because we have the collected works of dozens of philosophers, when even an educated man at the time would only have a few.

>> No.16920173

>>16920156
you still haven't addressed:
>Perhaps there is something to Christianity that your pagan ancestors understood but you don't? Also, maybe you should learn some more about Christianity before pulling out the "love your enemy" shit. If this was what Christians believed, we wouldn't have had the Crusades, the Reconquista, or literally any other war in Europe. You're just another faggot criticizing Christianity because you don't understand it.
>>Fire, Water, Heaven and Earth. Ritual Practice and Cosmology in Ancient Scandinavia
Literally only about the Scandinavian tradition (Norse), which is only one branch of the wider Germanic traditions. You're fucking stupid, which I guess is clear from you wanting to larp as a pagan.

>> No.16920177

>>16920173
No, it covers continental Germanics as well. Again, you don't know what you're talking about. Go read a book, retard.

>> No.16920191

>>16920177
>Still ignoring my point.
If it talks about continental Germanics, I can assure you it's hardly enough to base your fucking religion on it.

>> No.16920198

>>16920167
My god, maybe you should read some theologians before you comment on their works? Aristotle and Plato's works survived because monasteries thought they were edifying because they discussed the summum bonum and the λογοσ, both of which are fundamental to Christianity.

>> No.16920205

>>16920191
Have you considered that the reason that no one takes you seriously is because you're not worth taking seriously? Have you considered that the reason people disagree with you is because you don't know what you're talking about?

>> No.16920212

>>16920198
yes, yes, you are quite BASED and TRADITIONALIST for looking up "logos" on wikipedia. start with lysis, you have some reading to do.

>> No.16920219

>>16920205
Lmao. you got BTFOed and can't admit it.

>> No.16920225

>>16920191
>t. materialist atheist
Don't you have some instathot to be defending?

>> No.16920230

>>16920167
I don’t really know what else to say other than to tell you you’re mistaken. Maybe you can read Justin Martyr or something for a start.

>> No.16920234

>>16920212
nice deflection, faggot. I just gave you a counterpoint to your assertion that the Church fathers were unfamiliar with the Greeks. Isn't the trivium a book this board recommends? Don't you know what the Trivium was in medieval Europe?

>> No.16920240

>>16920230
Oh, you're asking for literature. Start with City of God. Although, quite frankly, since we're discussing the Church Fathers, you should get off the internet and ask your Priest to explain the Bible to you. Do exactly what he says.

>> No.16920241

>>16920225
>Literally btfoing a larpagan for thinking chrisitanity is dumb
"Must be an atheist"

>> No.16920245

>>16920234
>t. wikipedia scholar
lol should've read that article a bit more thoroughly bud, the trivium isn't a fucking book.

>> No.16920252

>>16920241
You're an atheist because your entire conception of religion is that it's nothing more than playing dressup and talking about creeds. You're an atheist because you can only conceptualize any kind of spiritual, higher values as purely material. You're an atheist because you're a fat neckbeard who wears a fedora.

>> No.16920254

>>16920245
> the trivium isn't a fucking book.
This isn't what I said.
I thought /lit/ would have a little better reading comprehension than this.

>> No.16920258
File: 778 KB, 750x947, 1599903104942.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16920120
This is very old and fake
>>16919998
Take things from a more jungian point of view anon,read jung and crowley(you need to read a lot to tell whether he is serious,making a methaphor,or straight up doing something retarded to make normies go away).
I think the archetypes of some saints and euro gods are the exact same,that isn't to say gods serve yhwh or some stupid shit like that.
>>16920041
kek religious threads are a mess.
>>16920016
Yes,peganism would have changed history
Euro empires were kind of born out of the church being consistently retarded,not from the church being the good guys,the church fucking up improved the west.
>>16920036
>roman britain
>>16920142
Converting people by the sword is quite literally againts the teachings of Christ,even if he did whip the money lenders
Christianity also gave the west the guilt mentality that we see today in liberalism.
Christianity is also incompatible with gassing the jews,even if muh sinagogue of satan.
>>16920144
nice

People in this thread can't comprehend that worshiping any god ''works'' .

>> No.16920262

>>16920252
imagine losing an argument on an anime picture board and getting so mad about you can only muster name calling

>> No.16920268

>>16919998
>basic premise of masculinity

The basic premise of masculinting is turning the other cheek, as that is an act of mental strength. Only beta males 'rage' at situations they have less power in.

>> No.16920277

>>16920254
No, he has a point, you did just say
> Isn't the trivium a book this board recommends?
in >>16920234

>> No.16920280

>>16920096
>ut yeah we have no fucking clue what the Celts were on about, anyone who says they know is lying through their teeth.
bullshit

>> No.16920288

>>16920280
No, we actually have no fucking clue what the Celts though. No, Varg and Gardner are not sources. We know they had a priestly caste, we have a few names of their Gods, but we have no clue what the "point" of the religion was, how the rituals worked, what the rituals were, etc.

Also we know they didn't practice human sacrifice, the whole wicker man thing is flat out falsified by Caesar for propaganda. There's zero archaeological evidence of Celtic human sacrifice.

>> No.16920290

>>16919998
if Paganism is so powerful and manly then why did the pagans get btfo by Christians in Europe and beyond?

>> No.16920291

>>16920277
Right. There is a book this board recommends called the trivium of some shit like that, but I am also talking about the Trivium of Medieval Europe too. He's just arguing in bad faith trying to conflate two different things I'm talking about.

>> No.16920294

>>16920240
What? I’m not asking for literature. I’m giving a recommendation of an example of an early church apologist that wrote extensively on Greek philosophy since that’s what was being denied here. I don’t understand your goal with this comment?

>> No.16920305

>>16920294
My goal is to get you to stop LARPing. Go read a book.

>> No.16920322

>>16920096
>we were defeated thoroughly by your morality
>your morality is the slave morality though
This "paganism was extinguished by force" gripe crushes paganism beneath the wheels of its own 'virtues'

>> No.16920347

>>16919998
There are no good pagan arguments that have not already been addressed by St Augustine.

>> No.16920351

>>16920158
Yes. Ad hoc justifying their religious beliefs is also not philosophy. So it is kinda irrelevant whether they read them or not, because they did not use their supposed Greek learning to further philosophy but to copepost about Christianity.
>>16920163
The Christian God is defined as Jesus, YHWH, and the Holy Spirit. This is why Christians coped by trying to connect the God of the Bible with Greek conceptions of divinity.

Church Fathers trying to equate Jesus with the Greek Logos is no different from when modern hippies try to equate Nibbana with Christian heaven.

>> No.16920354

>>16920288
I was raised Pagan. I had paintings of celtic goddesses around my house. My family had hundreds of books on this topic. Why should I believe you?

>> No.16920356

>>16920322
Who are you quoting?

>>16920291
The Trivium isn't a book, it's an educational theory deriving from pre-Christian Roman notions of what was required for a puer to be considered vir ("a man", but this term has political connotations). This is where "Liberal Education" comes from, referring literally to the education necessary to be a free man (as opposed to a slave), which required political participation. One thus had to be educated in order to perform their duty.

The Trivium consisted of grammar, logic, rhetoric, although these were only literally grammar and logic in the Roman period. By the Medieval period, grammar also included logic, and logic was more focused on synthesizing information into an actual argument; rhetoric was simply how to speak (including flourishes, rhetorical techniques, etc). The mark of a truly educated man would be his training in the Quadrivium, arithmetic (counting), geometry (shapes, but also the relations between things, notably ideas), music (actually the study of periodicity and pattern), and astrology (sometimes called astronomy, this is sort of "science" as Greek astronomical theories posited the movement of the planets as the reasons for why things happened).

While influenced by the Greeks, the Trivium and the Quadrivium weren't just quoting Aristotle (who was mostly locked away in monasteries in the West, with very few monastic circles having anything approaching a "complete set"). Education occurred through a held tradition, with relatively little input from specific higher authors (that can be attributed to a specific author; the practice of just putting something that sounded wise in the mouth of Aristotle, Socrates, or Plato was very common).

>> No.16920360

>>16920351
No. john in the first three sentences of his gospel define God as the logos. maybe if you read the bible you wouldn't embarrass yourself so much

>> No.16920377

>>16920354
Because that's what I've seen from literally everything I've read. If you'd like to provide me with some literature to try and change my mind, I'm open.

If this is about Irish myth and the fact that "Irish Myth" is literally just Christianized Irish polytheism, then I will readily admit that this (Irish myth) is a weakspot of mine.

>>16920351
There's also the problem that literally every philosopher has their own definition of "logos".

>> No.16920380

>>16920356
I didn't say that the Medieval concept of the trivium was a book. I said that there is book recommended on here called the trivium or something which i presume is based on the Medieval concept.
I don't understand why you niggers can't grasp this

>> No.16920382

>>16920305
You don’t see the irony in that statement, do you?

>>16920351
>Yes. Ad hoc justifying their religious beliefs
First of all, the claim was never that the writers in question were philosophers. They were religious apologists and some of them theologians, which I suppose philosophized as part of their theologizing. Either way, the question wasn’t who philosophized and who didn’t. The question was whether the the church fathers studied the Greeks and they very clearly did. It’s essential to their theology. To say otherwise, is just patently false and you can’t possibly argue or prove otherwise. Be honest with me. Is this a troll?

>> No.16920385

>>16920360
So, Jesus isn't God then?

>> No.16920392

>>16919998
>doesn't allow a person to fight back under any circumstances
There are literally warrior saints, dude. This is so dumb.

>> No.16920393

>>16920385
there is nothing is the statement you're replying to that implies that

>> No.16920408

>>16919998
this whole thread reeks of i halve a million half baked opinions based on authors ive barely read
Read more faggot stop getting your opinions from 4chan

>> No.16920410

>>16920393
Anon said
>The Christian God is defined as Jesus, YHWH, and the Holy Spirit
but now you're saying that this is wrong (this is heresy btw), and that he's the logos and not God.

Or are you saying that anon was right, and that you're just being pedantic?

>> No.16920412

Stop watching Jay Dyer's videos on what the church fathers said and read the actual fucking Bible. You'll have to tell me that
>most souls are created by the mercy of God to spend an undetermined amount of time post-death in waiting being tortured by demon whilst asking mercy to other souls which will be sitting LITERALLY on Abraham's lap, and the souls on aforementioned lap will be the 'righteous' yet they'll be having a good time whilst still hearing the screams of those tormented.
>after that comes Judgement Day after which all souls will again receive an eternal body to either taste of unlimited pleasures of the flesh or be tortured
this is fucking schizophrenic. Don't get me wrong I love monotheism and the metaphysics but any part that involves the actual abrahamic revelation is just arbitrary and bizarre.

>> No.16920427

>>16920410
The Christian God is both the logos and the trinity, unless your Orthodox, then you have to deal with there with the filioque debate

>> No.16920431

>>16920427
So anon was right, you just want to argue and throw shit.

>> No.16920444

>>16920431
lmao. God=logos=trinity. They are one in the same. You just fucking stupid or arguing for the sake of arguing

>> No.16920448

>>16919998
Paganism was always present in Christian intellectual world through Hermeticism. But I guess you just want to larp.

>> No.16920453
File: 519 KB, 960x879, dder6dl-844dc01c-9f84-4356-bbd8-346523e5222d.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16920258
>Converting people by the sword is quite literally againts the teachings of Christ,even if he did whip the money lenders
>>16920322
>this crushes peganism,we defeated them lel
Chrisitanity quite literally acted againts it's own virtues,what is it now,the crusaders(who probably ended up killing more christians on the way than muslims) were actually Christian?
Do you realise that the crusader,is quite literally going againts the will of God when he kills?
And that many Chrsitian priests actually followed their own Christian virtues and protected jews when that one Crusade tried to kill them while travelling
back to
>>16920258
>Christianity also gave the west the guilt mentality that we see today in liberalism.
Yes I think the modern guilt mentality is sub-consciously influenced by Christianity,a lot of people converting to Christianity today are hardcore liberals,and the pope,the head of the Chrsitian church,very much promotes left wing values.
Honestly being catholic in 2020 is more shamefull than being a public (non wicca) pegan

>le joos bad christ said so
This argument completely falls on its head,you are not allowed to hurt them,you must turn the other cheek,Christ did not oppose to being crucified ya faggs.

Overall Christianity should be analysed,Christ is now a powerfull archetype,that works very similarly to a pegan god.
The reason pegan gods and their symbolism has persisted across history is how instinctual they are,methaphorically,europe,in it's purest form,is found in european peganism.

>> No.16920466
File: 209 KB, 800x1324, Saturn_with_head_protected_by_winter_cloak,_holding_a_scythe_in_his_right_hand,_fresco_from_the_House_of_the_Dioscuri_at_Pompeii,_Naples_Archaeological_Museum_(23497733210).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16920360
Yes. And either he is the logos of the Greeks or he is the logos of the Bible.
>>16920382
Actually the claim was that philosophy, proofs, and intellectual theurgy only exists in polytheist societies, and that it is irrelevant whether various Christian theologians decided to try and use polytheist philosophy to justify their revealed religion.

This is why it is pointless to try and argue which side has the best arguments, because Christians lack arguments. Christians taking claims about gods and/or The One/The Good and superimposing them on their Bible god will not and can not be a counter-argument against the gods for whom those systematized philosophies exists.

Protestants realized this, why can't you?

>> No.16920475

>>16920453
What is your native language? It certainly isn't English, and I'm not even certain it's European.

>> No.16920528

There is no "argument" for or against religion. There is no "debate" about the "best" religion. It's all sophistry. The only truth behind belief is γνῶσις. A conscious being experiences gnosis through destruction of ego, a surrender to the ineffable transcendent. Let pagan be pagan, christian be christian. Take the taoism pill.

>> No.16920531

>>16920453
>>16920475
Ight I am typing this on a phone,I am noticing my spelling mistakes,now to continue with my schizo /x/ tier rant

The pegan gods are ''real'' and aren't actually people in the sky with waifus,rather the relationships are meant to represent interactions between emotions/other archetypes.
You can't be both diligent and lazy,you can't be both humble and proud,gods fighting each other is like Michael fighting Satan,Michael representing humility,and Satan representing pride

You could very well get a dream of Wodan giving you orders,you could very well get a dream with Christ giving you orders,you could very well get a dream of Satan giving you orders,it all cases,I think it's both a manifestation of the collective unconscious and your own consciousness trying to talk to you/being influenced by the beliefs of your ancestors,or the people alive today.

>> No.16920777

My personal favourite thing coming from people that prefer Mediterranean paganism to Christianity is this idea of Greco-Romans being forced into something completely different. All this when the early church had to compete against the three most popular gods: Isis, Asclepius, and Mithras. All of which were so similar to early Christianity that the Early Church fathers deemed them great threats. People for some reason think Jupiter Optimus Maximus or Mars were pivotal gods in the empire when even their focus in the state was not "private" but a state level activity. When you actually look at the personal level, those gods were no where near as important as the three mentioned above, the imperial cult, and the Lares.

>> No.16920848

>>16919998
>Christianity in Europe only spread through the slave and plebian classes.

That is patiently false. Long before Constantine converted, which many scholars believe really took place on his deathbed, there were several persecutions of Christians that noted that many equites and patricians were already Christians. Constantine's conversion was more of a recognition of a reality than a widespread forced conversion.

Christianity's early spread was also likely in part due to the equites, an extremely powerful economic and political class. Paul's contacts in the eastern empire were all business men. The ones that travelled widely and on whose work the economy relied.

Like>>16920777 said, how can Christianity cause domesticity when its main doctrines were all ready widely worshipped in other extremely popular cults.

>> No.16921022

>>16920053
>, despite risking persecution from pagans
fake and gay persecution complex inherited from the jews.

>> No.16921047

>>16920531
Is this what /x/ believes? I appreciate the Jungian approach, but from the couple of times I've ventured into /x/ I got the impression that they had very literal interpretations of the gods.

>> No.16921061

>>16920466
>Actually the claim was that philosophy, proofs, and intellectual theurgy only exists in polytheist societies, and that it is irrelevant whether various Christian theologians decided to try and use polytheist philosophy to justify their revealed religion.
It wasn’t. I suggest you back track the comments.

You’re arguing nothing with no one.

>> No.16921561
File: 765 KB, 1703x2560, The-Germanization-of-Early-scaled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16919998
sounds like you've digested the prog understanding of Christianity
bump
read the Medievals
read Joseph de Maistre
but for your interest, this book will help

>> No.16921590

>>16920016
empires nigger delivery systems. it facilitates mud people immigration

>> No.16921627

>>16919998
Western culture is precisely because morality exists outside of whoever holds the biggest sword.

>> No.16921644

>>16921047
Not him, and while I cannot comment on /x/'s beliefs, it's worth mentioning that Jung's archetypes aren't "just" tropes. The archetype of, for example, Wotan, can physically kick you in the face. "The Pagan Gods are Jungian Archetypes" makes the Gods out to be far, far weirder than either "literal sky-dudes flying around" or "just archetypes".

>>16920848
It certainly was a religion mainly catering to the lower elements of society up until the Crisis of the Third Century in the West, however. In the East, it seems mostly to have attracted Greeks who wanted to go back to the days of Greeks huffing their own farts, but in a manner that lets them unmesh themselves from Roman (cultural and ethnic, only partially political) dominion.

After the Crisis of the Third Century however, yeah, the demographics shift.

>> No.16921953

>>16919998
>pagans
stupid
>christians
smart

why would i be pagan?

>> No.16922575

>>16920377
awen + otherworld is all you need really...

>> No.16922592
File: 2.89 MB, 576x1024, 1606868541736.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw follower of Bacchus
>tfw drinking is the equivalent of praying

>> No.16922685

>>16920412
>arbitrary
Because it's against your modern sensibility?

>> No.16922715

>>16922685
God's will, by its nature being transcendent, can never be known by man. It must then be, according to all of man's sense, faculties, reasoning, and cognitive capacity, appear arbitrary. This is why faith is necessary.

Not that you'd know, given that you're an atheistic LARPer, and are incapable of conceptualizing religion in a manner other than pretty buildings and fancy robes. In the past, the church kept filth like you illiterate, and beat you like a dog if you dared to open your stupid fucking mouths. For your own good, of course.