[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 520 KB, 753x1160, 9780140445169.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16917582 No.16917582 [Reply] [Original]

Hey I don't know if there are any Dutchfags on /lit/ but I am one, and I wanted to discuss Multatuli's Max Havelaar (of de koffieveiling der Nederlandsche Handel-Maatschappij).

Have you read the most iconic work in Dutch /lit/? I am currently reading it and I am two thirds through. I have to say that it is a bit boring sometimes, but I do like the parts that Droogstoppel wrote and the parts where the writer directly speaks. Droogstoppel is the most based character of the novel. I even think that it is very postmodern. And why is it that Multatuli is one of the few Dutch authors of the 19th century that's still read spontaneously? Also I didn't have to read it in highschool, that's why I'm reading it now. Did you have to read it in highschool?

Is this book read by non-Dutchfags as well?

>> No.16917715

i have to read this book for my exsamens/ literature lijst

>> No.16917811

>>16917582
I had completely forgotten about this book. We had a whole project on it in 11th grade (vwo 5). I have to admit that I didn't read it tho, I only remember how the book opens. I want to start reading Dutch lit as I didn't do it highschool so Max Havelaar may be a good starting point, thanks for brining it up anon.

>> No.16918119

>>16917582
I havent looked into the literature on this but i have the unconfirmed suspicion that the weird chaotic way it was written was heavily inspired by Laurence Sterne's book 'The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman', perhaps because that book was such a massive popular success and Multatuli wanted his message to reach as broad a scope as possible. I think he even states something along those lines near the end of the book.

>> No.16918167
File: 116 KB, 653x527, maxhavelaar-sterne.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16918119
hmm seems he was already compared to Sterne on release, but didnt actually use the book as an influence himself.

>> No.16918332

i haven't even read the whole title