[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 84 KB, 750x920, readingtime.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16915261 No.16915261 [Reply] [Original]

Good evening /lit/! It's your grandfather here to read to you before bed. As requested, I will be reading you Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol" for the holiday season. Each night I will read you a little bit of this classic tale, finishing on the night before Christmas. So get your hot chocolate and huddle up with your favorite blanket as I whisk you away into a new story!

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Stave One: Marley's Ghost

Jacob Marley was dead. Everybody knew that. There was no doubt about that. All the official papers were properly signed by witnesses to make them legal. The clergyman, the clerk and the undertaker all signed the papers. Even Ebenezer Scrooge signed them, and everyone knew that anything Scrooge signed had to be perfectly legal!
Yes, Marley was as dead as a doornail.
Did Scrooge know he was dead? Of course he did. How could he not? After all, Scrooge and Marley were business partners for many years. besides Scrooge was the sole executor, his soul administrator, assign and legatee, his sole mourner, his sole friend. Still Scrooge was not so saddened by the event, but was still an excellent businessman, and offered his customers great bargains on the very day of the funeral.
Yes, Marley was most certainly dead, yet Scrooge never painted out his name on the old sign outside their warehouse. Above the door it still read as always 'Scrooge and Marley.'
Oh, but Scrooge was a tight-fisted old man! He was a shriveled and shrewd old man and as skinny as a pencil. He was a squeezing, clutching, covetous old sinner! Hard and sharp as flint, but no steel could gather any warmth from him. No warmth in the world could warm and no winter could chill him. Not a wind that blew was bitterer than him.
No one ever bothered him, not that a soul ever could. No passerby ever bade him "Hello!" or enquired of him "How do you do" and Lord forbid, no one, not ever, wished old Scrooge a "Merry Christmas." Not even the most mangy dog would give a second begging look towards Scrooge.
But did this bother Scrooge? Not at all, it was just as he preferred.

>> No.16915268

>>16915261
Good night friends. Sleep tight!

>> No.16915269

>dickens
read me some felix and guattari faggot boomer

>> No.16915275

>>16915269
The infamous Gilles Felix and Delueze Guattari?

>> No.16915330

>>16915275
the very same

>> No.16915537

>>16915269
Maybe if you learn to ask politely we can read some Felix Guattari after Christmas, but right now we are reading Dickens because that's what was requested.

>> No.16915541

vocaroo it you coward

>> No.16915579

>>16915541
If that's what you would like I will tomorrow.