[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 32 KB, 420x710, vwwaves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1689713 No.1689713 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/ seems extra slow today. Must be the fucking fantastic weather here in Canterbury.

Anybody read The Waves? I'm using it in a paper about modernism and I love it. The way Woolf shows her characters ageing through different first-person accounts and their comparison to the environment is beautiful.

I would consider getting a tattoo some of the prose. It's that good.

Agree/disagree? Waves/Woolf general?

>> No.1689721
File: 215 KB, 500x369, vwtxt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This isn't one of my favourite quotes, but it's a good representation of the work. And it's a great example of how the landscape is created through the dreamlike imagination of the characters. The end of the quote is quite beautiful, as well.

>> No.1689727

My favourite book, even over and above Pale Fire. It's the closest prose has come to poetry.

>> No.1689735

>>1689727
Absolutely. I haven't read Pale Fire but I've read other Nabokov.

I would also suggest An Imaginary Life by David Malouf. It's a quick read and extremely beautiful prose.

>> No.1690298
File: 25 KB, 372x495, vw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump

>> No.1690306

>>1689721
brb going out and buying this

>> No.1690311

What's your favorite line from the novel?

>> No.1690341

>>1690311
Tough question. I think right now this is my favourite line- "There was a star riding through clouds one night, & I said to the star, 'Consume me'."

It's just so honest in the context of the story you have to feel it. And outside the text it could be interpreted many different ways.

>> No.1690364

"There is, then, a world immune from change. But I am not composed enough, standing on tiptoe on the verge of fire, still scorched by the hot breath, afraid of the door opening and the leap of the tiger, to make even one sentence. What I say is perpetually contradicted. Each time the door opens I am interrupted. I am not yet twenty-one. I am to be broken. I am to be derided all my life. I am to be cast up and down among these men and women, with their twitching faces, with their lying tongues, like a cork on a rough sea. Like a ribbon of weed I am flung far every time the door opens. I am the foam that sweeps and fills the uttermost rims of the rocks with whiteness"
I nearly cried the first time I read this passage.

>> No.1690367

fucking love the waves

i should read it again sometime

as for favourite lines it's one of those books where i ended up underlining a load every other page so it's just pointless to try and pick

>> No.1690447

>>1690364
amazing.

>>1690367
yeah it's like every line is your favourite line. i know what you mean.