[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 61 KB, 500x667, image0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16885259 No.16885259 [Reply] [Original]

From a lifetime of playing videogames, watching YouTube videos and TV shows I have trouble sitting down and reading. I know I'm a faggot and all that, but I have found I have no problem getting through books if its through an audiobook format.
Do you think you lose something if you listen to a book rather than read it?

>> No.16885301

>>16885259
>Do you think you lose something if you listen to a book rather than read it?
Yeah.
If you want a way in listen to an audiobook and then read the book, move on from there. I recommend starting with Book of the New Sun or weird tales stuff like RE Howard and Lovecraft if you’re a fantasy fag, they have excellent audiobooks and are well written

>> No.16885402

If it helps you read it helps you read. It's about absorbing the knowledge not about fondling pieces of paper, despite how enjoyably that can be.
Stop listening to others, it's far far far better you listen to audiobooks than you don't read at all.

>> No.16885424

If you are listening to audiobooks while doing ANYTHING else, then yes you are dividing your attention and losing a significant amount of comprehension. This includes things like mundane chores and shitposting on 4chan. If you sit down and just listen to the words then you won't miss as much.

>> No.16885429

>>16885424
I tend to get my hour and a half of listening in the day when I'm at the gym or biking. I think that helps me listen more though because I want to take my attention away from my current situation.

>> No.16885455

>>16885429
You're probably better off listening to podcasts or something that is designed for that purpose. But if it works for you then it's all good, my opinion is based on my own experiences and the experiences of others I've heard on the internet so it is not an inalterable fact.

>> No.16885481

>>16885259
I had the same problem, hadn’t read for years and when this pandemic started i was trying to get back into it. But holy shit it was hard, I couldn’t concentrate for longer than a few minutes, and I couldn’t make pictures in my mind. I’d say if you want to get off audiobooks(nothing wrong with those, though) try reading something simple, and just keep at it. It’ll come back to you fairly quickly if you keep reading. Most important part if starting with books you’re really into, makes it a hell of a lot easier to read

>> No.16885491

>>16885259
>I know I'm a faggot and all that
No. You're just a faggot.

>> No.16885769

>>16885424
>If you are listening to audiobooks while doing ANYTHING else, then yes you are dividing your attention and losing a significant amount of comprehension.
Maybe shut the fuck up if you don't know anything about attention and cognition at large.
>>16885429
Since gym and biking does not involve language, you can absolutely listen to audiobooks without any interference. Your only problem is mind-wandering, but you'll get better at focusing your attention with practice.
>>16885259
>Do you think you lose something if you listen to a book rather than read it?
In general, listening is harder, but still possible. You need to watch out for these periods of zoning out, you might miss a lot and not even notice that you missed it. You also need to be active in your listening, do some effort in keeping the structure straight and putting things together, especially with non-fiction.