[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 249x382, death-of-a-salesman-arthur-miller.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1688434 No.1688434 [Reply] [Original]

hey /lit/
i was wondering if i could get some help with an essay for an AP language & composition class. there is really no prompt for the essay, i just have to write "a 1500-1750" word essay on a serious topic related to a 20th century novel or play"; i chose Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller as my book.

i'm leaning toward discussing the book's theme of betrayal in my essay. i made that decision when i had finished my book, which was nearly a month ago, and now that i'm about to write my essay, i'm sort of foggy on how i came to that conclusion. could anyone help me out?

what i do remember is that willy betrayed his wife and had an affair, and his son kind of betrayed him by not becoming some kind of alphamale superstar...

TL;DR: discussion of betrayal in Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

>> No.1688511

Instead of discussing betrayal, you should discuss the themes surrounding the relationship between a father and son. Spend a few paragraphs to illustrate the relationships between each son and Willy. Explain how the relationship reveals the message prevalent in the thematic statement you made. Use some more literary elements to spice up the Essay.

>> No.1689016

>>1688511
thanks! i like your input. perhaps in my thesis should i write something like "the play explores the relationship between willy and his sons, and the underlying betrayal/betrayal experienced/etc...." something like that?

i feel like my teacher wants us to relate the book to the human nature, society, or the world today in some way as well.