[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 83 KB, 682x850, Cervantes_en_Lepanto.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16874205 No.16874205 [Reply] [Original]

What level of Spanish do I need to know to read Don Quixote in its original language? I learned Spanish when I was 16 and I'd say it's really good. I can hold conversation with other Spanish speakers very well and have understood anything I've come across, but I started reading Don Quixote and I'm virtually lost. Spanish is my second language, but I've grown up around it my entire life. My mom, who is a native speaker, read some of it and told me it uses a lot of complex language.

>> No.16874430

>>16874205
Is it really that hard to imagine a 400 year old book is hard to understand if all you've read is contemporary Spanish?
If someone could parse the moonrunes in manga and light novels they would have a very hard time reading the original Genji Monogatari or even a far more recent writer like Natsume Soseki (early 1900s).
Quixote's particular Spanish is quite weird, full of rhetoric zig zags, double negatives, opposed meanings, lots of common expressions that are no longer used (RAE has a "dictionary" of Spanish sayings), obscure words, old spellings, argot, fake words (when don Quixote says "ferido" instead of "herido"), etc.
You have two choices. Read a modern Spanish adaptation (which is what most students read anyway) or Git Gud by reading shorter books from that time, like Cervantes' Novelas ejemplares, or Lazarillo de Tormes to get used to it.

>> No.16874484 [DELETED] 

>>16874205
>What level of Spanish do I need to know to read Don Quixote in its original language?
ÓPTIMO NIVEL DE DOMINIO —LA PROSA HISPÁNICA CULMINÓ EN ESTA NOVELA, POR TANTO, TU DESTREZA LINGÜÍSTICA, Y TU CONOCIMIENTO DE EL CONTEXTO LITERARIO, E HISTÓRICO, EN QUE FUE HECHA, DEBEN ESTAR EN CORRESPONDENCIA CON LA PERFECCIÓN DE ESTA OBRA.

>> No.16874487

>>16874430
>What level of Spanish do I need to know to read Don Quixote in its original language?

ÓPTIMO NIVEL DE DOMINIO —LA PROSA HISPÁNICA CULMINÓ EN ESTA NOVELA, POR TANTO, TU DESTREZA LINGÜÍSTICA, Y TU CONOCIMIENTO DE EL CONTEXTO LITERARIO, E HISTÓRICO, EN QUE FUE HECHA, DEBEN ESTAR EN CORRESPONDENCIA CON LA PERFECCIÓN DE ESTA OBRA.