[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 250x388, Infinite Jest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1685301 No.1685301 [Reply] [Original]

Oh god. What the hell?

I understood everything fine until I got to page 30. Can someone explain what happened on pages 30 and 31?

>> No.1685321

bump

>> No.1685329

don't have it in front of me, but there's several different "threads" going on at once in that book.

the kid who plays tennis and quit smoking pot so he salivates a lot is pretty much the "protagonist"

then there's those guys that do all the downers and lay around in their apartment

and the bit in black dialect about the girl who is raped repeatedly by her father

+more

>> No.1685334

well, this is when we get some back story about Hal having a possible history of tongue-tiedness perhaps due to the mold he ate as a child, perhaps due to other factors

it helps fortify one of the theories as to why he is incapacitated at the beginning (and end) of the book

it's ambiguous as to whether or not the conversationalist is Hal's father, and there are some references to the Quebecois plot that manifests itself later in the book

just keep going OP, it'll work itself out

>> No.1685338

>>1685334
Just not sure about the back story with his family.

Was his mother having a sexual affair with politician or something along those lines?

>> No.1685342

>>1685338
that's also meant to be ambiguous although she was definitely involved in the Quebecois separationist movement

>> No.1685361

/lit/ has a boner for this book, a huge boner. I try not to think about that too much.