[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 932 KB, 800x912, 1596515026485.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16845157 No.16845157 [Reply] [Original]

What are some books on the spiritual benefits of sexual abstinence?

>> No.16845164

You're supposed to books to guide your behavior, not to justify it.

>> No.16845166

>>16845164
Yes, that's why I asked

>> No.16845298

bump

>> No.16845325

>>16845157
My Diary Desu

>> No.16845331

>>16845157
Libido Dominandi, i guess

>> No.16845367

>>16845157
Mein Kumpg

>> No.16845518

>>16845157
look kid, ive been doing this for the last 25 days or so and heres my experience. i meditate, nothing has changed in my meditation. my spirit used to be excited and i even pranced around sometimes and i was all ambitious about the things it wanted to do. while some people obviously have problems with it, i was doin alright. i was more anxious and less confident but i was happy. i never felt guilty. then i quit cold turkey and ive been in a constant down state and im straight up depressed almost and my imagination doesnt excite me, art doesnt excite me, music barely does anything. but its a comforting sort of bad feeling. i care less about stuff and i feel stronger and heavier. i feel like i can take on more.

i dont think it affects your spiritual life. that might just have to do with guilt. both have their goods and bads. i think its good when you need that confidence boost or youre goind through a hard time and you need more stability, but its no way to live.

>> No.16845575

>>16845518
I don't know, after abstaining from all forms of sexuality including jacking off or even looking at erotic imagery for about a month, I barely ever had sex on my mind anymore, and it honestly felt pretty good.

>> No.16845585

The coiled serpent. Ignore all the imbeciles above.

>> No.16845657

Numbered Discourses 7

5. A Great Sacrifice
50. Sex

Then the brahmin Jāṇussoṇi went up to the Buddha, and exchanged greetings with him. When the greetings and polite conversation were over, he sat down to one side and said to the Buddha, “Does Master Gotama claim to be celibate?”

“Brahmin, if anyone should be rightly said to live the celibate life unbroken, impeccable, spotless, and unmarred, full and pure, it’s me.”

“But what, Master Gotama, is a break, taint, stain, or mar in celibacy?”

“Firstly, an ascetic or brahmin who claims to be perfectly celibate does not mutually engage in sex with a female. However, they consent to being anointed, massaged, bathed, and rubbed by a female. They enjoy it and like it and find it satisfying. This is a break, taint, stain, or mar in celibacy. This is called one who lives the celibate life impurely, tied to the fetter of sex. They’re not freed from rebirth, old age, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress. They’re not freed from suffering, I say.

Furthermore, an ascetic or brahmin who claims to be perfectly celibate does not mutually engage in sex with a female. Nor do they consent to massage and bathing. However, they giggle and play and have fun with females. …

they gaze into a female’s eyes. …

they listen through a wall or rampart to the sound of females laughing or chatting or singing or crying. …

they recall when they used to laugh, chat, and have fun with females …

they see a householder or their child amusing themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation. …

They don’t see a householder or their child amusing themselves, supplied and provided with the five kinds of sensual stimulation. However, they live the celibate life wishing to be reborn in one of the orders of gods. They think: ‘By this precept or observance or mortification or spiritual life, may I become one of the gods!’ They enjoy it and like it and find it satisfying. This is a break, taint, stain, or mar in celibacy. This is called one who lives the celibate life impurely, tied to the fetter of sex. They’re not free from rebirth, old age, death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress. They’re not free from suffering, I say.

As long as I saw that these seven sexual fetters—or even one of them—had not been given up in me, I didn’t announce my supreme perfect awakening in this world with its gods, Māras, and Brahmās, this population with its ascetics and brahmins, its gods and humans.

But when I saw that these seven sexual fetters—every one of them—had been given up in me, I announced my supreme perfect awakening in this world with its gods, Māras, and Brahmās, this population with its ascetics and brahmins, its gods and humans. Knowledge and vision arose in me: ‘My freedom is unshakable; this is my last rebirth; now there are no more future lives.’”

https://suttacentral.net/an7.50/en/sujato

>> No.16845661

Numbered Discourses 7

5. A Great Sacrifice
51. Bound and Unbound

“Mendicants, I will teach you an exposition of the teaching on the bound and the unbound. Listen and pay close attention, I will speak. … And what is the exposition of the teaching on the bound and the unbound?

A woman focuses on her own femininity: her feminine moves, feminine appearance, feminine ways, feminine desires, feminine voice, and feminine adornment. She’s stimulated by this and takes pleasure in it. So she focuses on the masculinity of others: masculine moves, masculine appearance, masculine ways, masculine desires, masculine voice, and masculine adornment. She’s stimulated by this and takes pleasure in it. So she desires to bond with another. And she desires the pleasure and happiness that comes from such a bond. Sentient beings who are attached to their femininity are bound to men. This is how a woman does not transcend her femininity.

A man focuses on his own masculinity: his masculine moves, masculine appearance, masculine ways, masculine desires, masculine voice, and masculine adornment. He’s stimulated by this and takes pleasure in it. So he focuses on the femininity of others: feminine moves, feminine appearance, feminine ways, feminine desires, feminine voice, and feminine adornment. He’s stimulated by this and takes pleasure in it. So he desires to bond with another. And he desires the pleasure and happiness that comes from such a bond. Sentient beings who are attached to their masculinity are bound to women. This is how a man does not transcend his masculinity. This is how one is bound.

And how does one become unbound? A woman doesn’t focus on her own femininity: her feminine moves, feminine appearance, feminine ways, feminine desires, feminine voice, and feminine adornment. She isn’t stimulated by this and takes no pleasure in it. So she doesn’t focus on the masculinity of others: masculine moves, masculine appearance, masculine ways, masculine desires, masculine voice, and masculine adornment. She isn’t stimulated by this and takes no pleasure in it. So she doesn’t desire to bond with another. Nor does she desire the pleasure and happiness that comes from such a bond. Sentient beings who are not attached to their femininity are not bound to men. This is how a woman transcends her femininity.

>> No.16845666

>>16845661
A man doesn’t focus on his own masculinity: masculine moves, masculine appearance, masculine ways, masculine desires, masculine voice, and masculine adornment. He isn’t stimulated by this and takes no pleasure in it. So he doesn’t focus on the femininity of others: feminine moves, feminine appearance, feminine ways, feminine desires, feminine voice, and feminine adornment. He isn’t stimulated by this and takes no pleasure in it. So he doesn’t desire to bond with another. Nor does he desire the pleasure and happiness that comes from such a bond. Sentient beings who are not attached to their masculinity are not bound to women. This is how a man transcends his masculinity. This is how one is unbound. This is the exposition of the teaching on the bound and the unbound.”
https://suttacentral.net/an7.51/en/sujato

>> No.16845678

>muh spiritual benefits
Spirituality does not exist. All that exists is our material existence.

The benefits that arise from abstinence have nothing to do with muh morals muh god and other spooks. There are clear physiological and neurochemical consequences that accompany sexual activity. In reality, the benefits of abstinence come from increased prefrontal neurotransmission , sustained oxytocin levels, reduced prolactin, and elimination of sexual behavior from habitual regions of the brain.

Belieiving in God and spirituality will mess your abstaining progress up because you'll think something is there to help or save you. There isn't.

>> No.16845683
File: 1.51 MB, 611x968, epictetus doge meme.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16845157
Epictetus Enchiridion

>> No.16846063
File: 216 KB, 1024x811, IMG_20200204_024214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16845166
You're still seeking out books on abstinence for the purpose of knowing its benefits, you've put the bull before the cart.
Instead of looking for what you want, learn about abstinence from the most trusted scholarly sources and derive any potential benefits from that.

>> No.16846127

>>16845157
Have sex

>> No.16846157

>>16845683
Epictetus thought we should have children though

>> No.16846323

>>16846157
Yea but he lived in a different era and place than us.
You can imagine things in his time who are complete blur, today are not (sexual revolution, psycology, ciences, economy, finances, etc).
So maybe having children in his time was ok, maybe today is not.

>> No.16846480

>>16845157
OP, I have been living together with my fiancée for 5 months now, and I didn't bust a nut since her bags full of clothes touched the floor - I am not a happier, nor active man. I just realize, after not orgasming for half a year that women, no matter how hot, are useless when they lack personality or life skills.

I don't have any way back because of the death threats I'd receive but you do.

>> No.16846487

>>16845518
Oh my god I found him. The fattest, gayest, virgin.

>> No.16846493

>>16846323
I see your point but I don't agree. Epictetus thought having a wife and children was virtuous and helped us flourish, although obviously being a stoic he didn't think we should indulge in sexual gratification for the sake of it. I think his outlook is probably a more healthy one than complete abstinence.

>> No.16846521

>>16846493
Hmm I get it.
But I think in todays worlds, woman have too much power and marriage isnt great. More than half of marriage today ends in divorce.
Having children is cool but getting a good woman is very rare. I think we are doomed to start

>> No.16846607

>>16846521
That has nothing to do with Epictetus and goes contrary to the lessons of the Enchiridion. Good job.

>> No.16846633

>>16845518
>last 25 days or so
god i thought you were going to say 25 yrs or so

>> No.16846658
File: 72 KB, 513x513, 1600905976653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16845657
>>16845661
>>16845666
Based Pali Canon poster

>> No.16846666
File: 84 KB, 387x299, image0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16846480
>haven't had sex with your fiance for nearly half a year
What the fuck is going on there bro

>> No.16846684

>>16845164
>>16846063
God you're an insufferable autist

>> No.16846688

>>16845518
>>16845575
For a long time, sir, I have understood your teaching like this: ‘Greed, hate, and delusion are corruptions of the mind.’ Despite understanding this, sometimes my mind is occupied by thoughts of greed, hate, and delusion. I wonder what qualities remain in me that I have such thoughts?”

“Mahānāma, there is a quality that remains in you that makes you have such thoughts. For if you had given up that quality you would not still be living at home and enjoying sensual pleasures. But because you haven’t given up that quality you are still living at home and enjoying sensual pleasures.

Sensual pleasures give little gratification and much suffering and distress, and they are all the more full of drawbacks. Even though a noble disciple has clearly seen this with right wisdom, so long as they don’t achieve the rapture and bliss that are apart from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities, or something even more peaceful than that, they might still return to sensual pleasures. But when they do achieve that rapture and bliss, or something more peaceful than that, they will not return to sensual pleasures.

Before my awakening—when I was still unawakened but intent on awakening—I too clearly saw with right wisdom that: ‘Sensual pleasures give little gratification and much suffering and distress, and they are all the more full of drawbacks.’ But so long as I didn’t achieve the rapture and bliss that are apart from sensual pleasures and unskillful qualities, or something even more peaceful than that, I didn’t announce that I would not return to sensual pleasures. But when I did achieve that rapture and bliss, or something more peaceful than that, I announced that I would not return to sensual pleasures.

And what is the gratification of sensual pleasures? There are these five kinds of sensual stimulation. What five? Sights known by the eye that are likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasant, sensual, and arousing. Sounds known by the ear … Smells known by the nose … Tastes known by the tongue … Touches known by the body that are likable, desirable, agreeable, pleasant, sensual, and arousing. These are the five kinds of sensual stimulation. The pleasure and happiness that arise from these five kinds of sensual stimulation: this is the gratification of sensual pleasures.

And what is the drawback of sensual pleasures? It’s when a gentleman earns a living by means such as computing, accounting, calculating, farming, trade, raising cattle, archery, government service, or one of the professions. But they must face cold and heat, being hurt by the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun, and reptiles, and risking death from hunger and thirst. This is a drawback of sensual pleasures apparent in this very life, a mass of suffering caused by sensual pleasures.

https://suttacentral.net/mn14/en/sujato#sc3

>> No.16846699

>>16846480
>>OP, I have been living together with my fiancée for 5 months now,
huh, a woman needs a lot of animal sex to contain her hysteria. No woman can withstand 5 months of abstinence. She is cheating on you. You may as well dump her right now.

>> No.16846714

>>16845157
May I suggest Nietzsche's Twilight of the idols? It has answers to all of your questions. In spades.

>> No.16846725

>>16846480
She's cheating

Playing you for a fool and cuckold

>> No.16846772

>>16846607
What do you mean?

>> No.16846775

>>16846684
t. incel desperate to justify his life

>> No.16846777

>>16846772
Read Epictetus again but put all of the redpill stuff out of your mind

>> No.16846809

>>16846777
Can you explain what is my error?

What is stoic about having children and marryng just because some old man told you to do it? Isn this the opposite of stoicism? To blind follow "advice" without really think twice?

>> No.16846827

>>16845157

https://www.dlshq.org/download/brahmacharya.pdf

>> No.16846846

Looks, it's very simple. To a woman Abstinence is pure torture.

This is against the basic Human Rights. Your are the Milosevic of sex, the Hitler of the pussy.

>> No.16846879

>>16846775
I'm not OP

I just think you'e being autistic for scolding OP over book recommendations, and correcting his behaviour to suit your own emotional needs. Insufferable.

>> No.16846885

The simile of the Leper

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/MN/MN75.html

>> No.16846891

>>16846879
>correcting his behaviour to suit your own emotional needs
nice projection anon, it's very nice
I never "scolded" or "corrected" anyone, merely made fun of OP because his request is comically puerile.

>> No.16846905

>>16846891
That's obviously not the case >>16845164

>> No.16846931

>>16845157
cope

>> No.16846932

>>16846905
This person is literally just telling OP that you shouldn't look for facts knowing what you want to find, because that's not looking for knowledge that's looking to confirm your feelings.

>> No.16846968

>>16846891
You sound frustrated and irked for some reason, the one being puerile here is you.

>> No.16846973

>>16846879
He IS looking for validation.

>> No.16846981

>>16846968
>you mad?
>puerile? no u
very good post, anon

>> No.16846989

>>16846973
More like justification.
As in, I need to justify why I haven't had sex yet, there's totally a good reason somewhere!

>> No.16846997

>>16846989
And so you start looking for justification of your conclusion

>> No.16847011

>>16846989
OP here, I have had sex.
Not sure why everyone ITT is seething at my request, looks like projection to me

>> No.16847032

>>16847011
>I-I'm not mad, you're mad! Seething! Projection!
homey we're just making fun of you, you dont need to take it personal

>> No.16847038

>>16847032
Okay, whatever you say anon.

>> No.16847074

>>16846973
>>16846997
>He IS looking for validation

How do you know? You're jumping to conclusions. He might be looking for books challenging his worldviews. How would you know? You don't. Just give some recommendations on the subject instead of being a moralizing superior asshat.

>> No.16847127

>>16846827
>Pure air, pure water, wholesome food, physical exercise, outdoor games, walking withbrisk steps, rowing, swimming, light games like tennis—all contribute to the maintenance ofgood health, strength and a high standard of vitality. There are indeed many ways to gain healthand strength. These ways are doubtless indispensably requisite. But, Brahmacharya is the mostimportant of all. Without Brahmacharya, all your exercises are nothing. It is the master-key foropening the realms of health and happiness. It is the corner-stone of the edifice of bliss andunalloyed felicity. It is the only specific that keeps up true manliness.The preservation of semen is the secret of health and longevity, and of all success in thephysical, mental, intellectual and spiritual planes. He who has even a little bit of Brahmacharyawill tide over a crisis of any disease very easily. If it takes a month for an ordinary man forrecovery, this man will be completely all right in a week

lol i should go post this on /fit/

>> No.16847140

>>16846480

Women love a verbal fight, because according to them it enhances the hate sex afterwards.

This is the great vaginal perversion: the atavistic vagina has turned the abuse into a fetish.
This is why women need to be yelled at to listen, otherwise they just think they are always right, yet all they do is just basing their life on wishful thinking...
Women are children who just enjoy being controlled and sermonized, and never grow up (because they don't need to since men keep orbiting them)

>> No.16847163

>>16847140
I'm a male and I feel the same way why is that?

>> No.16847300

>>16847074
The phrasing of the request.

>> No.16847746

>>16846725
>>16846666
>>16846699
How is that possible when during the lockdown we have been living together for 5 continuous months? Yes she went out at times, but that was to get food, and the times I went out was to be on-call.

How can you tell she is cheating? I am a fool still, please help me. Once some fake account messaged me on social media saying he fucked my fiancée, but I don't believe it because he didn't offer evidence.

>> No.16848097

>>16847746
Hello?? Help?

>> No.16848697

I realized that women cannot be asexual.
Women love sex and love to desire sex.

Men love sex but they do not love much nor dislike much the desire for sex. In fact the desire for sex is more like an hindrance and a thing to eject, precisely by wanking and ejaculation that is the pinnacle of fucking a slag.
men still despise not loving sex, since it removes the most effective mechanism of valuation that they have, which leads them to the usual mockery of being shagless didlos remaingin on the shelf, being baby dicks and being asexual.
Men despise asexuality in men since it shows them to be far less dominant than the story they plays in their heads

Women despise asexuality in men, since the few asexual men (very few are handsome) no longer acknowledge women for sex nor for companionship. Some asexual men claim to still want a gf just to cuddle, but that's already a baby-level sex and we are still in the situation of validation (and the gf still wants sex anyway sooner or later) and once they have sex with a girl they love they see sex is not so bad.

Women despise asexuality in women, precisely because women live on sex while their hate of their body for menstruating leads them to take pills which kills their desire for sex (but indeed kills their menstruation). They hate their life since through their own body, they acknowledge in their intimacy that they cannot win on both accounts: either have a comfy life or have an erotic life. Women want the erotic life.

>> No.16848724

>>16847746
This is cuck bait.
The answer if you were serious would be for you to go to her apartment and have sex with her.
Of course, you aren't serious, so there's no real point to this point, is there?

>> No.16848744

>>16848697
awful pasta

>> No.16848748

>>16845157
You can avoid sex, fast, recite spiritual texts, jump up and down and spin in a circle--none of these things have spiritual benefit. Unless you realize your deeper nature--that which you've had from birth--it's all for naught.
If abstinence had any spiritual benefit whatsoever, most people on this website would be enlightened by now.

>> No.16848790
File: 618 KB, 1635x2560, 917lvLNfnnL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pic related and "Bliss of the celibate" by Julian Lee. Godspeed anon.

>> No.16848795

>>16847300
>The phrasing of the request

Again you're jumping to conclusions

>> No.16848803

>>16848748
>If abstinence had any spiritual benefit whatsoever, most people on this website would be enlightened by now.
as if /we/ actually are strong willed enough to go for more than a month on no fap...

>> No.16848806

>>16848724
I have no desire to fuck her except for children.
Somehow that drive just went away from all the nagging she did.

>> No.16848829

>>16848795
You’re ESL

>> No.16848865

>>16845678
/thread.

>> No.16849022

>>16846981
Acting like this much of a faggot should be a bannable offense

>> No.16849038

>>16849022
>calling out low effort posts should be bannable
how about y'all just make VIP quality posts such as myself am to do

>> No.16849139

>>16845678
What are you saying, can you repeat it somewhere else? I'm just seeing pixels on a screen

>> No.16849202
File: 15 KB, 644x800, 864214569054246.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16845518
>look kid

>> No.16850195
File: 9 KB, 192x192, gold.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16849202

>> No.16850405
File: 165 KB, 680x444, 1530037837924.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16849202

>> No.16850557

>>16845575
>or even looking at erotic imagery for about a month
How can you do it? Do you live in a cave?
You surely can't do it while acessing this place.

>> No.16850580

>>16846480
lmao the eternal nofapper cuck

>> No.16850637

>>16846480
>or life skills.
How do you define life skills? Give me some examples.
Also, why aren't you banging her?

>> No.16850697

>>16847746
>Yes she went out at times, but that was to get food
It was SHE who was eaten.

Kek. Just joking, bro. I don't know. It helps if you tell us what's her alleged reason for not fucking you.

>> No.16850703

>>16850405
Yes.

>> No.16850731

>>16848803
>a month on no fap
A month??
You're being generous, my man. It's twice times a day.

>> No.16851695

bump

>> No.16851814

>>16850557
I just disabled images on 4chan, it's not that hard.

>> No.16852410

>>16845678
based

>> No.16852468

>>16845157
Any spiritual book, really. Abstinence has always been considered THE way to subjugate the instincts, you'll see it in most enlightenment-oriented traditions of the ascetic sort. It's generally considered diametrically opposed to enlightenment. Just a few books off the top of my head:
>New Testament (the pauline writings especially)
>Gospel of Thomas
>Gospel of Philip
>Sri Ramakrishna's sayings (technically not a spiritual work but it's from a supposed jivanmukti so it's about as close as it gets)
>Ashtavakra Gita

>> No.16852487

>>16852468
>It's generally considered diametrically opposed to enlightenment.
Excessive sensuality, that is.

>> No.16852591

>>16852487
What's the reason for that? Some schools of thought posit that enlightenment can also be find in the moments of ecstasy following certain actions, such as sex.

>> No.16852649

>>16852468
>>New Testament (the pauline writings especially)
>>Gospel of Thomas
>>Gospel of Philip
>>Sri Ramakrishna's sayings (technically not a spiritual work but it's from a supposed jivanmukti so it's about as close as it gets)
>>Ashtavakra Gita
all those books are not canon and very very late
just stick to your weekly yoga class like women do

>> No.16852660

>>16852591
>Some schools of thought posit that enlightenment can also be find in the moments of ecstasy following certain actions, such as sex.
yeah people are hedonists and they prefer to view enlightened like a huge orgasms, since orgasms is all they know and their biggest dream. Plus they get to stay hedonists and feel spiritual while not changing their behaviors women and Christians like this very much. and with 'live laugh love'', ''living in the present moment'', ''enlightened is unconditional love'' it works also on the atheists.

>> No.16852674

>>16852649
How is the fucking NT not canon?

>> No.16852709

>>16852591
Alan Watts holds the nondual ecstacy can be approached both through what's aptly called inane indulgence and inane asceticism. "Nature, Man, Woman" if you want the full story of this interpretation.

>> No.16853445

virgin power