[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 253 KB, 1200x1632, 1200px-Sigmund_Freud,_by_Max_Halberstadt_(cropped).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16839377 No.16839377 [Reply] [Original]

Okay /lit. What do we make of this guy?

I've spent the day reading Freud (and his fanclub) and honestly I think it is vile. It seems to me that Freudian psychoanalysis is just a made up discipline to give cokehead pedophiles unfettered access to mentally ill children

I think reducing human existence to the flux between the build up and discharge of libido (sexual energy) is extremely reductive. Perhaps Mr. Freud is doing some projecting of his own here. There's a more reasoned critique for you.

Ultimately, however, this stuff read as literal smut. Foul stuff.

What do you think? Any big fans here?

>> No.16839416

>>16839377
>there's a more reasoned critique for you
MAYBE FREUD HIMSELF SHOULD HAVE TAKEN A SEAT IN THAT CHAIR, KNOW WHAT I MEAN? HEHE DAMN DIRTY FOOL KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING, DIDN't HE? I TELL YOU ME AND MARGARET WAS GOIGN TO THIS HEAD SHRINKER AND HE SAID MARGARET FEELS CONSTRAINED BY THE RELATIONSHIP, BELIEVE THAT? MORE LIKE CONSTRAINED BY HER 300 POUNDS AMIRIGHT HEHE THAT'S ME OLD SAM YEAH HE

>> No.16839425

With regards to the whole Oedipus/Electra stuff, I think it is wholly reasonable to identify that these tendencies do arise, from time to time, in the real world. Tragedians of old, Shakespeare (maybe in Hamlet), and so forth are all examples of this.

But it is a *wholly* other thing to then extrapolate from this a vehemently all encompassing world view which, alongside being unfounded, is frankly horrible.

>> No.16839475

He had a basic schtick that was pretty revolutionary (different levels of the psyche and how they function) and some great 'rough' insights into the empirical psyche. His hopes for psychoanalysis, as a secular cult practice which could 'free' human beings from themselves, were an overestimation of what the practice could (and should) accomplish, especially in the rude form he and his co-developers left it.

The developed world now solves existential problems with medication, which limits his contemporary significance to that of an object of curiosity. I still regard him as a great thinker, all things considered.

>> No.16839513

>>16839377
Don't bother with him, he was refuted by Brentano long before he even put pen to paper to pour his bullshit and infect susceptible minds.

>> No.16839548

>>16839377
Dr. not Mr.

>> No.16839580

>>16839377
checked. he was super influential and without him we won't have my daddy Jung.
>b-but he was refused
who the fuck cares, just take authors and their ideas with a grain of salt.

>> No.16839940

>>16839377
>The Psychoanalytic Movement The Cunning of Unreason by Ernest Gellner, Jose Brunner

>> No.16840013

>>16839377
All of psychotherapy shows minimal evidence of working. Meditating has been shown to be as effective as the best of them at solving, say, depression and anxiety, so why pay for a shrink?
Anyway, even though psychotherapy in general is all overblown hype, psychoanalysis is the greatest overblown hype because academics reference it as gospel truth all the time. If someone unironically references Freud and Lacan all the time, ignore them.