[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 97 KB, 764x1205, Drizzt111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1678921 No.1678921 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think about Te Legend of Drizzt series?

>> No.1678923

The Legend of Drizzt Series. excuse typo

>> No.1678938

Well, I like it when I was fifteen. Haven't read the newest one, though I did read the one before that. I like that he's stepped away from describing every detail in his battle scenes, that shit got tedious.

Overall, I think it's okay for a series of mass market paperbacks.

>> No.1679195

bamp

>> No.1679196

It was never the height of literature. It wasn't even really that good for Fantasy, take that as you will. But for the age when you just wanted to be emo and kick ass, it was the most awesome shit in existence. Too bad 4th edition screwed Forgotten Realms so bad it is a unplayable mess now.

>> No.1679199

For be the product of a bouncer's mind, is not bad.
Compared to other fantasy literature works, like the Dying Earth, Elric of Melnibone or Fafhrd and the Grey mouser series is a bit mediocre and poorly executed.

>> No.1679204
File: 87 KB, 400x622, how_do_i_covered_ambush.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

He isn't even the best Drizzit writer. Lieber just writes it better.

>> No.1679210

i love these books i started reading them in high school and the Detail in the book i can almost picture all the places that are being talked about and the items in the book i can go on all day about these books

>> No.1679225

Quick aside; my wife and I used to run a small freelance copy editing firm (the two of us plus some grad students we would sub out to) and we got to meet a lot of people in publishing. During the D20 licensing boom we started editing a LOT of stuff for Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition; a ton was being produced and most of it was by first-time writers. We actually quit our day jobs and did just copy editing for 3 years because of it.
Well, one of our big projects was working with R.A. Salvatore to translate one of his series to RPG format, so we had to read the series to look for errors in the copy.
Mother. Of. Heaven. Twice a day either my wife or I would look at the other and ask "People read this shit? On purpose?". We were used to small press novels having iffy editing, but this was simply atrocious writing; cardboard characters, nonsensical motivation, disjointed plots, you name it. And interacting with him was *worse* - I signed an NDA so had to destroy the emails we exchanged, but the guy needs a full-time editor in real life.

>> No.1679339

>And interacting with him was *worse*

Holy shit, shop talk. If you're still there, tell me moar Editorguy

>> No.1679346

I never bother with any rpg setting fiction, and I've always hated the character of drizzt, so take that for what you will...

I'd rather read Moorcock's Elric books, or Fafrd & Grey Mouser as >>1679199 suggested.

>> No.1679358

>>1679225
I've heard that he was pretty much a worst case example of a D&D player, come writer.

Would you say that's accurate?

>> No.1679361

I read quite a bit of fantasy. I've even been know to enjoy RPG setting specific fiction every once in a while. I may not be the most discerning when it comes to literature. But even I can tell that R.A. Salvatore is a complete hack.

I don't generally judge people on their taste in literature, but if you tell me you think the Ice Wind Dale Trilogy is good I will seriously lose all respect for you.

>> No.1679367

>>1679339
He had the spelling and grammar of an elementary school teacher (I worked with textbook publishers a great deal), meaning - terrible spelling, poor grammar, and very, very hostile to those improving the same. Copy editors get little love, anyway, but it is even tougher when you have to deal with "*I* am a NYT best-selling author!"

>> No.1679380

>>1679358
Very much; he was a mediocre writer who thought he was better but, even more annoying, he didn't know the rules of D&D very well but thought he was god-tier as a player, too (we also had to make his stuff fit the rules). Don't get me wrong - we made a lot of money off the assignment, so it wasn't that bad and he was no different than dozens of other authors we worked with... who paid a lot less.

>> No.1679391

>>1679380
When was this? His last several books, ie, the transition to 4th edition has been rather terrible in comparison to his earlier books.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't putting much effort into them anymore.

>> No.1679403

>>1679380
As for him not knowing the rules of D&D well, he stuck with the 2nd edition rules, so he probably didn't know 3e, let alone 4e. The books themselves don't follow the rules very well in general though.

>> No.1679416

>>1679391
about a decade ago

>>1679403
Nope, he didn't know *any* ruleset very well, trust me.

>> No.1679428

It sucks horribly.

>> No.1679433

lol everyone in here uses so much grammar to describe shit no one will read or ever care for i hope your punctuation has sex with you fucken nerds

>> No.1679464

>>1679433
Salvatore has sold at least 15 million books

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2010/01/new-book-deal-for-ra-salvatore.html

>> No.1679497

enjoyed them as a teenager

>> No.1679502

I'm not sure I understand what it means to write a story using D&D rules. I've never read a book like that, can someone describe it for me?

>> No.1679510

>>1679225
I read the Icewind Dale trilogy when I was in middle school and noticed how many mistakes there were. This was back when I was naive and thought authors/editors don't ever let shit like that slide.

>> No.1679514

>>1679502
As a copy editor in the particular project I had to ensure that the translation of his novels to an RPG were both faithful to the novels AND fit the rules of the RPG; weird stuff. Thing is, the novels set in various RPG worlds really *should* adhere to the mechanics of the games, but usually don't

>> No.1679554

>>1679514

So basically it means writing, say, a magic using character around any limitations there are for casting spells in the RPG it's based on?

>> No.1679561

>>1679554
yes

>> No.1679954

Hey guys OP here, I really appreciate your opinions and your suggestions for new novels. I was wondering, If there is a good novel out there with the MC as an Alchemist.

>> No.1680269

>>1679954
... not the main-character, but check out the Quicksilver trilogy by Neil Stephenson. The progression from Alchemy to Natural Science is one of the major themes of the books.

>> No.1680544

Salvatore is god-tier trash fantasy.

Sure, his early work is a bit amateurish, but I really feel like he's grown as a writer with his last few books and have thoroughly enjoyed them.