[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 46 KB, 328x500, the_republic01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16732835 No.16732835 [Reply] [Original]

Thrasymachus was right.

>> No.16733752

Right about what?

>> No.16734464

Glaucon is clearly the alpha.

>> No.16734478

>>16734464
>Glaucon
Nietzsche admired him, but Socrates must have refuted him, but how did he do it? Could you sum it up?

>> No.16734493

I have just started reading this
But this boi just spreading domination and roasting Socrates

>> No.16734953

>>16734478
It's been a while but if I remember correctly Socrates makes an appeal to religion to defeat the ring of gyges and the other argument about an unjust man living with a good reputation and vice versa that Glaucon makes. He implies that in both cases it is better overall for the immortal soul to be virtuous/'just' but this argument doesn't hold up if you dont believe in a deity.

Ive thought about some arguments against Glaucon's arguments and I think in the case of the ring of gyges there are probably people who would choose to commit unjust acts with it but I think many would also choose not to use it or not to use it for evil. I think there is more than fear of reprisal that prevents people from doing bad, and the belief that there is no deity supports that because it implies any sense of morality comes from humans rather than an outside force. For the second argument I'd argue that it's more important to be virtuous than to be viewed as virtuous and in a way this is the same argument Socrates uses against both arguments.

Glaucon doesn't neccesarily support thrasymachus' view of justice but his arguments in support of it provide stronger reasons to believe it than Thrasymachus' do and I think in many ways Socrates' answers to his challenges leave us unsatisfied.

>> No.16735166

>>16734464
Glaucon is just Thrasymachus with "you should pretend to be nice because it benefits you."

>> No.16735168

>>16732835
Socrates was right. Thrasymachus was correct.

>> No.16735379 [DELETED] 

>>16732835
Close. J̶u̶s̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ Law is the interest of the strongest. Justice is the interest of the weakest. Quality of a ruler is predicated upon the degree to which his rule of law aligns with justice.

>> No.16735392

Close. J̶u̶s̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ Law is the i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶e̶s̶t̶ will of the strongest. Justice is the interest of the weakest. The quality of a ruler is predicated upon the degree to which his rule of law aligns with justice.