[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 417 KB, 505x866, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1670569 No.1670569 [Reply] [Original]

So, a few questions:

>How do books innovate and influence others?
>Do you, as e/lit/ists, have an easy time of noticing where this influence is and isn't? Can you usually read into most of the symbols and such that artists place in their works? Or do you use other sources of criticism to explain things? (Example: Joyce seems pretty dense on imagery that might be difficult to understand without his personal perspective being explained.)
>If you can, did it develop through reading books hand-in-hand with criticism or with just a lot of reading?
>How many books do you read a year?
>When/how do you set aside time for reading?

Just a bunch of questions from a /mu/tant trying to see how similar our forms of expression are.

>> No.1670576
File: 6 KB, 148x148, Caligula5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

make a thread for each one

>> No.1670583

>>1670576
i didn't want to spam up the board, sorry.

>> No.1670599

I'm a /co/mrade mostly but I hang out here, too. I'll answer.
>>1670569
>How do books innovate and influence others?
Same way music does.
>Do you, as e/lit/ists, have an easy time of noticing where this influence is and isn't? Can you usually read into most of the symbols and such that artists place in their works? Or do you use other sources of criticism to explain things? (Example: Joyce seems pretty dense on imagery that might be difficult to understand without his personal perspective being explained.)
Really depends on the person, the book, why the person is reading it, what he or she wants to get from it, etc.
>If you can, did it develop through reading books hand-in-hand with criticism or with just a lot of reading?
I can sometimes. I read mostly for pleasure, though, so I don't always care.
50-100, probably.
I don't. I read in my free time. Sometimes in easy classes.

>> No.1670614

90% of the fiction books people read are pure shit.

>> No.1670619

>>1670614
Do you mean fiction popular on /lit/? Or in general? Either way, that makes /lit/ a lot like /mu/.

Not OP, by the way.

>> No.1670622

>>1670583
No, thanks for the consideration there.
I'm probably the resident Neanderthal on /lit/, even out of the tripfag bunch, but I'll give your questions a go...
1. As far as I was aware, writers usually read a lot, and through reading a lot experience and then study writers they feel passionately for or about.
2. An easy time? Not really. It depends entirely on the author and if I've read the person it seems like they've been influenced by. I read Bukowski as a teenager, tried Celine and Fante as I got a little older, and went "Ohhh" when I saw how obviously Bukowski had borrowed things from both. Another example I would use would be Ginsberg and Walt Whitman, because I actually had read Whitman first. Symbolism except with obvious cases is usually lost on me, and yeah I normally have to look up criticism to get into that (and I usually don't). Generally speaking, that requires more understanding of Classical and Renaissance literature than I've got. Some authors like Gaddis I kinda think I've got it, then I look it up and find out I was dead fucking wrong.
3. I haven't developed shit. I can analyze literature somewhat well, but the much deeper things I don't even bother. I read for enjoyment, and either a book grabs my attention and intrigues me to research it, like, say, with Portrait of the Artist, or Faulkner, or it bores and/or confuses me and I never finish it.
4.I have no idea how many books I read in a year. I'd guess about 30.
In bed before I go to sleep, on the shitter, on the bus, in lines/waiting rooms, during breaks at school or work, rainy days, etc. I'm a casualfag when it comes to /lit/.

>> No.1670623

There is pretty much no one that doesn't have time to read. It takes 30 minutes to read 20 pages. You can at least read a book every two weeks without having to free up time.

>> No.1670626
File: 40 KB, 460x302, download2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Caligula was stupid and ugly

>> No.1670627

too lazy to answer the rest, but

about 100, most years. i usually don't read many longer books though.