[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 75 KB, 360x280, ppmonsterscangetyou.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1667371 No.1667371 [Reply] [Original]

Can anyone recommend some horror books to me?

Not like Lovecraft or Stephen King, I'd like the goriest, stupidest, most insane horror book you've ever read. Bonus points if the book has one of those covers that made you afraid to go in the horror section as a child.

>> No.1667403
File: 34 KB, 400x400, stories-to-tell.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark trilogy by Alvin Schwartz. It's really just a collection of urban legends and folklore shorts, and marketed as children's books.

The stories themselves aren't so bad, but combined with the illustrations, it's very disturbing and destroyed my innocent childhood.

Pic related: just one of the illustrations (there's hundreds). Google if you want more.

>> No.1667510

>>1667403

this

>> No.1667532

>>1667371

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

just the setup scared the bejebus outta me! a black guy I can't see coming at me? brrrrr

>> No.1667546

>>1667403
Oh sweet jesus. These books made it impossible for me to eat spaghetti for years.

>> No.1667607

I used to read a lot of horror fiction in my teens, and for a while I got into really extreme horror. There are few really good writers of extreme horror. Most just figure they can take shitty characters and shitty plots and shitty dialogue and add some really fucked up sex and violence. The most popular writers of this variety of horror are probably Richard Laymon and Edward Lee. Really depraved, fucked up stuff, but bland and boring and completely forgettable.

One author I have found that can do extreme horror and keep the ball rolling when there isn't violence going on is Jack Ketchum. Check out any thing by him and you'll probably be pleased.

Also, I know you said you didn't want Stephen King, but there is one exceptionally gory and depraved story of his called "Survivor Type", which I think is in the collection Skeleton Crew. It definitely ranks up there in terms of gore.