[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 796 KB, 2200x1295, wallhaven-11757.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16669085 No.16669085 [Reply] [Original]

I fear I've run out of authors for my favourite aesthetic, theme and style. I love literary fantasy in the vein of Dunsany, MacDonald and Clark Ashton Smith. To be frank, I love reading about wizards and necromancers and gods in glorious colourful prose. Is there anyone else who achieves, for example, this sort of style? And I've read Peake; he's one of my favourites, but he's not 'high fantasy'.

>The fumes of the censers, blue and white and violet, arose in thick clouds and speedily filled the room with ever-writhing interchanging columns, among which the sunlight disappeared and was succeeded by a wan unearthly glow, pale as the light of moons that ascend from Lethe. With preternatural slowness, with unhuman solemnity, the voice of the necromancer went on in a priest-like chant till the scroll was ended and the last echoes lessened and died out in hollow sepulchral vibrations. Then the colored vapors cleared away, as if the folds of a curtain had been drawn back. But the pale unearthly glow still filled the chamber, and between Malygris and the door where hung the unicorn's head there stood the apparition of Nylissa, even as she had stood in the perished years, bending a little like a wind-blown flower, and smiling with the unmindful poignancy of youth. Fragile, pallid, and simply gowned, with anemone blossoms in her black hair, with eyes that held the new-born azure of vernal heavens, she was all that Malygris had remembered, and his sluggish heart was quickened with an old delightful fever as he looked upon her.