[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 353x499, 41ntp4UMRiL._SX351_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16645228 No.16645228 [Reply] [Original]

do you guys take notes when you read? im a brainlet who wants to understand nick land and his forebears, and I was wondering if note taking helped? and what other methods do you guys use to enhance your understanding of difficult works?

>> No.16645239

Active recall(flash cards)
Elaboration of concept

>> No.16645252

>>16645228
Is that Rotwang from Fritz La g’s Metropolis?

>> No.16645336

I underline the important parts with a bendable ruler and write notes in the margin - if i have to write a handin for uni or write something else where i quote the book, then it's really easy to do.

What do you have to underline? Main arguments and difinitions. I also use stickynotes and write on them.

Keep the pencil sharp and use a ruler and then you will love yourself for having underlined the book.

>> No.16645341
File: 37 KB, 920x859, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16645228
>understand nick land

>> No.16645460

>>16645228
Kant, Hegel(to understand Marx and Bataille), Marx, Nietsche, Bataille, Klossowski, D&G, Lyotard. You can also just read Land and catch up on the others later. #Acceleration# is also good.

>> No.16645470

>>16645460
When you read the others you realize how much more exciting they are though

>> No.16645640

>>16645239
I don't think flashcards are appropriate for books about complicated topics. Maybe for learning arbitrary information like dates and vocab, it's good.
Active recall and elaboration are good though. Though I mainly just cover sections of my notes which I then try to remember, or perhaps make quizzes. Then I'll try to review previous chapters of notes every now and then.
Flashcards are a pain unless you use anki or other software, and the problem with srs flashcards is that the cards you review end up being arbitrary and not confined to a single chapter. While there's a case for this increasing recall, I personally just don't like how information is just tested for me arbitrarily by a computer algorithm.

>> No.16645672

>>16645228
Hi Nick

>> No.16646721

>>16645252
Apparently it's from Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1941).

>> No.16646955

>>16645228
>do you guys take notes when you read
only important works i read, stick the book in the noteshelf with the notes again for helpful reminders.
also often a gelpfull way of making your own summary.
>>16645460
>Nietsche
>nietsche

>> No.16647127

>>16646955
Yeah, I'm only reading what i write before i post it for uni, here i just post shit, deal with it.

>> No.16647512

His best

"I wiped the blade against my jeans and walked into the bar. It was mid-afternoon, very hot and still. The bar was deserted. I ordered a whiskey. The barman looked at the blood and asked:

‘God?’

‘Yeah.’

‘S’pose it’s time someone finished that hypocritical little punk, always bragging about his old man’s power…’

He smiled crookedly, insinuatingly, a slight nausea shuddered through me. I replied weakly:

‘It was kind of sick, he didn’t fight back or anything, just kept trying to touch me and shit, like one of those dogs that try to fuck your leg. Something in me snapped, the whingeing had ground me down too low. I really hated that sanctimonious little creep.’

‘So you snuffed him?’

‘Yeah, I’ve killed him, knifed the life out of him, once I started I got frenzied, it was an ecstasy, I never knew I could hate so much.’

I felt very calm, slightly light-headed. The whisky tasted good, vaporizing in my throat. We were silent for a few moments. The barman looked at me levelly, the edge of his eyes twitching slightly with anxiety:

There’ll be trouble though, don’tcha think?’

‘I don’t give a shit, the threats are all used up, I just don’t give a shit.’

‘You know what they say about his old man? Ruthless bastard they say. Cruel…’

‘I just hope I’ve hurt him, if he even exists.’

‘Woulden wanna cross him merself,’ he muttered.

I wanted to say ‘yeah, well that’s where we differ’, but the energy for it wasn’t there. The fan rotated languidly, casting spidery shadows across the room. We sat in silence a little longer. The barman broke first:

‘So God’s dead?’

‘If that’s who he was. That fucking kid lied all the time. I just hope it’s true this time.’

The barman worked at one of his teeth with his tongue, uneasily:

‘It’s kindova big crime though, isn’t it? You know how it is, when one of the cops goes down and everything’s dropped ’til they find the guy who did it. I mean, you’re not just breaking a law, your breaking LAW.’

I scraped my finger along my jeans, and suspended it over the bar, so that a thick clot of blood fell down into my whisky, and dissolved. I smiled:

‘Maybe it’s a big crime,’ I mused vaguely ‘but maybe it’s nothing at all…’ ‘…and we have killed him’ writes Nietzsche, but—destituted of community—I crave a little time with him on my own.

In perfect communion I lick the dagger foamed with God’s blood."

- Nick Land

>> No.16647979

>>16645228
>underline, take notes, flash cards

No. This isn't how you learn. Read a whole chapter, if you stop you will get caught up in minutia and definitions and miss the point. Just keep pushing through and the general idea will form like a painting. Then you go online and argue with other people anonymously defending your point of view without backing down. After the thread is over adapt your point of view according to refutations and start a new thread arguing that one.