[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 107 KB, 500x357, antithesis-thesis-antithesis-thesis-on-twitter-i-think-ive-taken-53959690.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16615691 No.16615691 [Reply] [Original]

How Greek literature from Homer to Plato helped humans discover the inner mental life (a developing understanding that humans have a unique and individual inner world of thought.)

When we are talking about the mind, according to Bruno Snell, is a particular understanding of what reality is. It's this habit that we have that we don't or are not aware of anymore: it's a very humanistic habit. It's the habit of always projecting outside of ourselves. If you are not able to project outside of yourself, you are an incomplete human being i.e. mindless. If you are mindless, you are only driven by passions because you are only concerned with getting ahead in life for yourself. This is why historically ancient cultures and modern day ones could practice all kinds of things that we object to. If you can project outside of yourself, you create this concept of empathy. You understand that what I do can hurt someone else, and therefore it can hurt me. A mind that doesn't understand how to project outside of itself tends not to understand that concept of hurt outside the self.

And this is part of the culture war people keep talking about nowadays. Ideas create humanity, and when Bruno Snell says, the mind, is only available to the Greeks i.e. the greeks discovered it.. not the egyptians, not indians, not the chinese, is that none of these ancient cultures were able to project the mind outside their own particular world. For the chinese, there was no world outside of china. For the indians, it was forbidden to cross the oceans - its a sin. For the ancient mesopotamians and egyptians, these were extremely inward-looking cultures.

This was all possible due to literature, and the creation of new pronouns and words in Homeric Greek. Hence memetics.

A problem with consciousness is a problem with language. There are no paradoxes in nature.

>> No.16615692 [DELETED] 

https://youtu.be/XAbZ8zUq34s

Anyone who thinks like a Greek, is a Greek. Ideas is what makes us human beings. This is our great affinity. If we think alike, we are a group.

This unfortunately, in recent history, becomes misused as DNA or genes and gets projected out as racism and whatnot.

What we are really talking about is idea or what unites us is the commonality of ideas, and this is what Hellenism does in the East.

>> No.16615740 [DELETED] 
File: 1.23 MB, 1901x3164, Oscar_Wilde_Sarony.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone who thinks like a Greek, is a Greek. Ideas is what makes us human beings. This is our great affinity. If we think alike, we are a group.

This unfortunately, in recent history, becomes misinterpreted, misused as DNA or genes and gets projected out as racism and whatnot.

What's at topic here are Ideas, not genes
or what unites us is the commonality of ideas, and this is what Hellenism does in the East.

>> No.16615822
File: 106 KB, 570x712, oscar_wilde_sarony.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This unfortunately, in recent history, becomes misinterpreted, misused as DNA or genes and gets projected out as racism and whatnot.

What's at topic here are Ideas, not genes
or what unites us is the commonality of ideas, and this is what Hellenism does in the East.

>> No.16616525

B