[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 88 KB, 828x741, guin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16611703 No.16611703 [Reply] [Original]

Should someone interested in history and mythology put any effort into the philosophical canon or is it a waste of time?

>> No.16611713

Total fucking waste. Read some handbooks about the history of philosophy in general, and maybe textbooks on specific time periods (Renaissance, Enlightenment, Modernity), but if you like history and mythology, the only worthwhile texts are Plato's dialogues and Aristotle's works. Don't waste your time with Kant, Hegel, Heidegger, etc.

>> No.16611740

>>16611713
This was actual very helpful, thank you anon. Do you think those very short introduction books would be sufficient or do you recommend something else?

>> No.16611949

>>16611740
not him, but i would suggest a new history of western philosophy by anthony kenny, read the section on a philosopher if they influenced a historical figuere or if their philosophy was influential at a certain time.

>> No.16612003 [DELETED] 
File: 130 KB, 840x559, fren.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16611949
I'll put this one on the order list. I'm nearly finished with the Histories so this could be a good follow up. Thanks fren

>> No.16612007

>>16611703
>Should someone interested in history and mythology put any effort into the philosophical canon or is it a waste of time?
You would have a brain failure if you tried reading the philosophical canon in the wrong order and without proper preparation
You should at the very least have to read 300 books from classical literature (ancient greeks, ancient romans, medieval, english, russian), have a firm graps on your own native tongue by having studied 2 good grammars and read some works realted to intellectual work

THEN, you would start with easier stuff like meditations from marcus aurelius

Philosophy isnt a childs activity, it presupposes you have the mastery of the fundamental sciences and humanities (luterature, music, theater, history, etc.), kant itself believed people should only study philosophy after their 30s

>> No.16612009

>>16611949
I'll put this one on the order list. I'm nearly finished with the Histories so this could be a good follow up

>> No.16612033

>>16611703
If you aren’t interested in philosophy or see how there is any connection between your interests and philosophy then I would say there is no purpose in reading about it. However you can do you own philosophical investigations into history and mythology by asking yourself questions about the subjects. I would say ultimately philosophy underpins history and mythology but any comprehensive reading of history and mythology probably already talks about this..