[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.28 MB, 1200x1200, BRAIN_20ROT_20STICKER_20INSTAGRAM_20PHOTO-01_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16601339 No.16601339[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How the hell do I start enjoying literature?
I used to enjoy small non-fiction science books in elementary, but now hardly can make it through anything
I hated all assigned readings in high school and college and hardly did any, much less read them all the way through
Classics bore me with how seriously they take themselves, modern things I've tried rehash fantasy to be completely predictable, others bring in political bs to show how empathetic or redpilled they are
It gets so boring so quickly and I can't get a grip on any text to stick with it for more than an hour a day for three days before I ditch it completely
Anyone else have this brain rot before and get over it? I honestly feel retarded and want to enjoy the masses of books I own, becoming well read is something I want but seems impossible to get to

>> No.16601341

>>16601339
start small then progressively get into larger and harder books

>> No.16601343

Start slow. Read shorter stuff, keep reading and eventually you’ll be able to read longer and more complicated works.

>> No.16601401

>>16601339
I've thought about this before with TV shows, specifically popular sitcoms like The Office, which everyone except me seems to find absolutely windingly hilarious whereas I find it to be banal and contrived, much like your thoughts on literature.
I think it's mostly due to the mindset you engage the medium in. You have to emotionally identify with the character in order to enjoy the story, which is to say you have to be able to self-insert into the character(s)/background/story/author in order to really "feel" the medium.
And then what makes good self-inserts? Idealised forms of your personal "virtues" whether it be "rich funny guy who has everything" or "poor sad guy who has no friends trying to not kill himself", so on and so forth.
tldr; just read what you enjoy faggot, and if you don't enjoy reading in general then don't read

>> No.16601403

>>16601339
Don’t care, blogposts about your immaturity and stupidity are off topic