[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 10 KB, 288x300, byron.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1657110 No.1657110 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/.

I found out that I got accepted to grad school today. I'm going to study Literature. I know most of you don't care but I have no one to tell really.

That's all. Are any of you working on a M.A., PhD, MFA, etc. etc.?

Pic related, I think my focus will be the Romantic Poets.

>> No.1657121

>>1657110

I hope you are just self-studying.
Getting a degree in literature is less than useless.

>> No.1657128

Don't listen to the troll, I'm an English major and my gif is a comparative lit major at Berkeley and she's on track to be an editor for a small newspaper in my city. There's definitely stuff you can do.

I'm an undergrad transfer student so I'm still waiting to hear from schools T.T

>> No.1657148

>>1657121

ditto, get a good degree instead

lit/english is one thing any person can EASILY self-study at a library for free...dont need any help, there are no problem sets, no labs, nothing

just read for free, get a library card

>> No.1657157

>>1657121

No, I'm going to earn a Masters of Arts in English Studies.

I don't think it's a waste of time, or useless, but to each their own. I feel content reading and discussing texts with other wannabe academics. That's what's most important to me, not the job I get after I'm done, or the potential salary I mght earn.

>> No.1657160

>>1657110
Congrats, OP! I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but getting into a school at a time when they are slashing humanities budgets is a real accomplishment.

I'm working on my Masters right now. Kinda stuck on the thesis, :(

If I can ask, if you don't mind sharing, what were your scores on the GRE subject and general? Trying to get into PhD program too, and I just wanted to get an idea of the range I need to be in.

>> No.1657176

>>1657160

I got a 640 on the verbal and a 430 (lol) on the math. I also got a 6 on the essays. They must not have taken my math scores into consideration.

>> No.1657180

>>1657176
Ok thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to raise my scores. ::sigh::

In any case, good luck in grad school!

>> No.1657185

OP I'm interested because I'm thinking about applying, if you don't mind telling me which Uni did you get into? I'm curious about the application process.