[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 350x264, 1265255646266.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1651647 No.1651647 [Reply] [Original]

Dear /lit/

I have a proposal for a research paper that is due in two days and I don't have the slightest clue of what to do for it.
The paper is a comparison of two works that are similar but differ in an ethnic dimension. The example we were given was Wilson's Fences with Miller Death of a Salesmen. Both plays are about finding success in America and the American Dream, but the races of the protagonists affect what exactly that means.

Also, one of the books must be by an American author

>> No.1651685

shameless self bump
I need helpppp

>> No.1651703

Haha, I assigned almost that exact paper to my students. How much time do you have to read the works? Ellison's "Invisible Man" vs. "Notes from Underground": misconception of the protagonist - prejudice and/or self-initiated?

>> No.1651724

>>1651703

OUTRAGEOUS

>> No.1651744

>>1651703
I have about a month and a half to read, so time isn't really an issue. Could you explain what you mean by the protagonist's misconception a bit more? I'm only cursorily familiar with both of the works and I don't want to propose something that I don't understand

>> No.1651768

Haven't actually read Invisible Man, but it's focus is mostly upon racism and how he is never perceived for who he is because of it. Notes from Underground is about a guy who is the epitome of non-action... he dwells on his hatred of other people and himself... he challenges people passively thinking that they perceive him in the same over-the-top way he perceives others. He romanticizes "rivalries" and then can't do much of anything when physically in front of that person.

>> No.1651794

>>1651768
>its
I'll go kill myself now.