[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 540 KB, 1920x1200, 1297972814219.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1647522 No.1647522 [Reply] [Original]

So I am debating which book to start, Candide by Voltaire or Moby Dick by Herman Melville.

I have not read either, and do not really have a lot of time to do leisure reading, I own Moby Dick and just borrowed Candide from the library. I need something I don't have to think hard about when I am reading it. Or at least something with a story to hook me to make reading it easier for my tired head.

Not trying to cop out at all, but my school workload and constant lack of sleep prevent me from being able to truly appreciate anything requires my mental awareness.

>> No.1647525

> I need something I don't have to think hard about when I am reading it
neither one of those books is for you

why don't you read some fantasy or a magazine

>> No.1647542

Candide will take you a weekend tops to finish. Read that first and then do Moby Dick alter.

>> No.1647545

>>1647525
I was afraid of that, I thought maybe Candide at least might be simple enough. I wanted to spend my leisure reading time at least reading something I wanted to actually read instead of just wasting time on a magazine or something.

I was reading a bunch of J.D. Salinger's other works and enjoyed those a lot, I felt they were pleasant enough to read if for nothing but the story, but there was something there when I felt up to digging in a bit more.

>> No.1647813

Well, I decided on Candide, I just finished chapter 20, it seems so far to be an easy read. Quite funny and questions a lot of the more traditional views of the world being justified.

>> No.1647819

JUST READ THEM BOTH, THEY'RE BOTH /LIT/ ESSENTIAL.