[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 129 KB, 1125x943, EUTTxPDXQAImZNp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16473328 No.16473328 [Reply] [Original]

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog Edition

Last thread
>>16450692

Suggested books on story telling:
>The Weekend Novelist
>Aristotle's Poetics
>Hero With a Thousand Faces
>Save the Cat
>Romance the Beat

Suggested books on getting your fucking work done you lazy piece of shit:
>Deep Work
>Atomic Habits

Other Resources
General grammar/syntax/editing help
>https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/purdue_owl.html
When/where/how should I write?
>https://jamesclear.com/daily-routines-writers
What software should I write with?
>https://self-publishingschool.com/book-writing-software-best/
Amazon Publishing to make that KDP monie
>https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200635650
Shill your content to 16 year old weebs
>https://www.royalroad.com/

>> No.16473335
File: 89 KB, 679x522, 1598591510665.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What is everyone working on today? You are getting some writing done, right?

>> No.16473346
File: 251 KB, 672x936, arn-10-shahrazad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16473335
Studying for the bar, but I'll try to knock out 1k words at some point in the next 6-8 hours.

What are you working on, anon?

>> No.16473347

>>16473335
I've finally gathered the gumption to write a book in a dying earth setting. Basically just a big collection of short stories but every other time I've tried writing a large single volume I always burn myself out. Fantasy, science fiction, I usually end up losing interest and it peters out.

>> No.16473424

>>16473346
Trying to finish the next chapter for my Wuxia novel. The perspective switches from third to first, so it's proving to be frustrating to write it well enough

>>16473347
I tried writing a story like that once. It's damn hard, so props to you if you actually stick to it and finish it

>> No.16473535
File: 45 KB, 833x607, spiderplant_d1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16473335
I typed up this poem I wrote the other night. rate it and hate it.
>>16473346
good luck!

>> No.16473638

>>16473335
I'm going to watch the presidential debate. Afterwards I'm going to read some Dracula so I'll know what to write for Blackula

>> No.16473665

>>16473638
The debate will depict more vampires

>> No.16473675

>>16473335
I need to write 1,000 words of thesis today, it's now 6:42 in the evening, and I haven't started. However, I have written in my journal.

>> No.16473682

>>16473328
I would appreciate any form of critique.

Self Sacrifice
Sacrifice is one of the building blocks of every civilization made. Jesus Christ Himself made one of the most important sacrifices in history and inspired an indominable force of nature, an incorruptible faith that has lasted millennia. Without sacrifice, nothing is created and sometimes evil flourishes because of this cowardice. Like now. To put a long story short, i'm faced with the ultimatum of ending the existence of a very powerful, a very sadistic, international group of predators with a simple click of a button. No, it wouldn't be instant but the effect would be comparable to cancer. A slow but sure death. They could and can very well come after me and torture me just like their victims after I press it. I wouldn't die fast.

But the other choice, the one they had offered me would be a life of luxury with the chance of never experiencing pain again, never experiencing the inferior lifestyle of the plebeians. I would be rewarded with more then just earthly pleasures.

Who would give up a once in a lifetime chance like this? To rule in this life and the next in royalty? Who would give up the chance to experience something beyond this life?

But what kind of person would sell out the soul of not just their self but humanity's? What kind of person would doom this evil to repeat on future generations and sabotaging the once bright future of mankind?

Being tasked with the crucial fate of mankind changes you in an instant. Your ideals and strength are put to the test. You have a responsibility greater then anyone should. But you get help from no one in this choice. The consequences of it are yours alone.

And when it comes right down to it, it exposes your character and what you really stand for.

I pressed the button and watched the screen light up with frenzied animations. I closed my eyes and let out the breath I was holding and thought of what was going to happening to me, what I could do to hold out against it and put trust in my ideals, in the strength of my work that had gotten me into this most pivotal moment in history.

Sacrifice is the principal of civilization and creation and I will take solace in the fact that this will not be in vain.

>> No.16473687
File: 47 KB, 480x480, F2B59739-9050-49C1-9A43-E37AF0922E44.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16473638
>Y’all can call my black ass Van motherfucking Helsing for all I care, but this lil’ bat nigga’s gonna get my wooden shaft straight up his ass so hard he’s gonna scream for his bat momma. Ya dig?

>> No.16473836

>>16473335
>>16473346
Need to finish up last scene in chapter and then give it some edits to publish later.

>> No.16473847
File: 55 KB, 500x281, Angel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16473328
https://pastebin.com/UXF7prTi
A biblical aesthetic alt history romance set in the early 1900's. Read if you like Wilde.

>> No.16473894

>>16473424
>I tried writing a story like that once
What the short stories? I figured that would be easier since it's technically less work. I spend more time world building than making an actual plot so it's easier for me to make smaller stories in a bigger world. I guess that's the consequence of me being a DM for so many years.

>> No.16473902

>>16473687
>>16473638
Blacula already exists, though, and it's actually pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Sfrhj5IP4

>> No.16473942
File: 36 KB, 336x286, IMG_1601391049621_1601425242107.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

2/3red way done with the second draft. Post them numbers anons.

>>16473347
I always like that kind of setting, preferably without the post apocalypse chaotic shit with constant conflicts. Imagine writing a dying world, a quiet journey through what once was: impressive infrastructures and technology now nothing but backdrops for the end. Surprisingly I have never seen it done in literature form, or done well. The only one that captures this melancholy feel perfectly is unironically an anime where two kids travels through many layers of a dead city and at the final episode after endlessly desolate lands, they came across a video playback of the small moments in daily lives of the people in the past.

>> No.16473951
File: 136 KB, 426x418, Scrivener_w14txAYBWx.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16473942

>> No.16473969

Are any of your female characters "milky"?? As in, do they produce milk from their breasts? (otherwise known as lactation)

>> No.16473976

>>16473942
I've got it all set underground. It's less apocalyptic and more just being it is what it is. The apocalypse or whatever happened that put them underground was so long ago it's irrelevant. The biggest and oldest city is basically run on lostech with bubblegum and shoestrings and other smaller settlements underground usually run on what we consider modern methods of power, like coal or gasoline run through shitloads of exhaust filters so they don't poison themselves. Being underground that stuff is really easy to get.

Right now in my writing it's coming across as a mix of a Book of the New Sun with the strange setting, the thematic attitudes and ideas of A Canticle for Leibowitz, but with the brutality of Blood Meridian.

I also have a story I gave up on that's basically a gold rush wild west attitude set in a fantasy setting where people still use pike and shot. Maybe I should try that one again later.

>> No.16473992

>>16473687
>>16473665
It'll be weird seeing Biden not via zoom

>>16473902
kek
I'm actually going to experiment and write Blackula's brides' dialogue like this. I'll post it later

>> No.16474004

I've been writing short stories of around 1k to 3k words for the last couple weeks, usually getting them done in one sitting and then editing next morning or at night the same day, thinking of trying my hand at a 6k serial, I've avoided dialogue like the plague because I make a face everytime I read what my characters are saying. And I've been reading a dozen pages of the techniques of the selling writer everyday since it was recommended to me, which has certainly helped

>> No.16474005

>>16473992
You should just watch the movie, but then again I'm just a sucker for exploitation movies in general.

>> No.16474284

>>16474004
>thinking of trying my hand at a 6k serial,
If you do it right you should chop them into 2~3k chapters. 6k will be too long for readers.

>> No.16474293

>>16474284
Ah I saw a post earlier about the average chapter being about 4500 to 7k words but that sounds much more doable right now so I'll defer to your wisdom there, I'm really not sure if I'm going about this right but I'm also getting really tired of writing prompts, I want to make something of my own, in a sense

>> No.16474324

Somehow I just accidentally sperged out over the description of a fake gun that's basically a sten. Two whole paragraphs.

>> No.16474342

>>16474284
The average is 2k to 5k I think

>> No.16474494

>>16473902
>Dracula's soul brother
Lost.

>> No.16474898

>>16473335
Finished my novella. Promptly sent it to a literary agent. It seems chai latte is on the menu boys!

>> No.16474989

starting brainstorming on a novel. I have a lot of lore ideas but don't know what story to tell in this world. how the hell do I figure out what characters to add and what the hell to make them do?

>>16474324
the feeding ramp is polished to a mirror sheen..!

>> No.16475006

>>16474989
What's the most interesting part of the world you are building? Hero's Journey is always a good one. There are only so many "stories" to tell. Which one do you like the most? Do you have a character architype you always like, or someone that's been in the back of your head that you could throw into the world?

>> No.16475007

>>16474989
>the feeding ramp is polished to a mirror sheen..!
Nah I mean I actually described the mechanics of it being a simple blowback operating system with a side loading magazine which was an issue for one of the left-handed characters. After the magazine it goes straight into a cheese-grater looking heatsink which is near impossible to hold when it heats up in a firefight so he had to invest in a under mounted pistol grip that extended forward from under the receiver. Basically modded his to look like a sten mk5 minus anything being made of wood. It's all steel and plastic due to wood not existing anymore.

>> No.16475075

>>16475007
>It's all steel and plastic due to wood not existing anymore.
Fascinating, why doesn't wood exist anymore?

>>16475006
it's far as fuck into the future and the world is scarred with death. nobody knows how far into the future it is, what year it is; everything about our current day culture was lost to time, there's not even any surviving books. I won't give anything away but there's supernatural forces that have existed for so long that there aren't even records of when they first appeared, people just think they've always been there, and it won't be long before all surviving humans are gone forever. Is this ripping anything off, by the way?

>> No.16475081

>>16475075
>Fascinating, why doesn't wood exist anymore?
They live underground, hard to grow trees underground. And yes it's ripping something off, but that's okay because everything rips everything else off, it's only a matter of how compelling you make the story. Nothing new under the sun, bro. Look up The Night Land, that's one of my favorite books.

>> No.16475083

>>16475075
Well the obvious plot is hero's journey of a guy trying to find out about the past but has to deal with the perils of supernatural forces.

>> No.16475112

>>16474898
Congrats, man. Speaking of chai lattes, I just had one earlier

>>16473535
Sorry, I don't really read poetry very often so I can't give you much critique. I think it reads well, but that's about as much as I can offer you

>>16473682
To be honest, I'm having a hard time coming up with any critique for this because I don't really know what you're going for. Technically speaking, it's alright. Some sentences read a little clunky to me, but I didn't notice anything too egregious

>>16473836
Glad to see that you've been doing some more work on BurgerPunk. I enjoyed yesterday's chapter about drive thru spaghetti

>>16473894
Yeah, I think writing a cohesive set of short stories is a little difficult. If you want to read a novel that does that very well, you should check out Winesburg, Ohio.

>>16474293
Serial chapters are generally shorter. You want to write something that can be easily digested by people on a lunch break. I think around 3k words is the sweet spot of not too long and not too short

>> No.16475120

>>16475112
>Yeah, I think writing a cohesive set of short stories is a little difficult. If you want to read a novel that does that very well, you should check out Winesburg, Ohio.
Mine was more inspired by the likes of Asimov with his collections such as I, Robot, where everything is bound together under a central setting and then explores the finer details and moral implications of it. I've read excerpts of Winesburg, Ohio, in college though, during an American lit class in my gen ed years. I was almost more of a Southern Gothic fan but I'm biased having lived in the south all my life.

>> No.16475161
File: 36 KB, 518x564, 1577303293174.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16475112
>Glad to see that you've been doing some more work on BurgerPunk. I enjoyed yesterday's chapter about drive thru spaghetti
you got the wrong anon. I did drop a chapter just now though.

>> No.16475284
File: 85 KB, 776x1024, la_venus_a_la_fourrure_couverture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16473335
I just finished yesterday, I have no new project as of yet. I feel hollowed out. I feel like fapping.

>> No.16475313

>>16475284
>I feel like fapping
How about you take a seat and write some erotica instead

>>16475161
Ah, not sure how I got you two mixed up. I like the artwork you had done for your latest chapter. Didn't read the text yet though since I'm not caught up

>> No.16475325

>>16475313
>How about you take a seat and write some erotica instead
Lolita in Furs is too risqué to ever be allowed to exist anywhere outside of my brain

>> No.16475355

>>16475112
>I enjoyed yesterday's chapter about drive thru spaghetti
Thanks, anon. If the first chapter is an accidental rip off of snow crash, my current reading of infinite jest definitely had an impact on the spaghetti chapter. I think I had a kinda cool idea for a new section.
>Character stumbles upon the cult of the mysteries of Mithras, but it’s become bastardized over time into McThras, and his slaughtering of the wheat tailed bull is actually for burgers. Maybe similar to the genie stealer cults from 40k, of these big hive cities having secret cult undergrounds. I unno. I really should be studying.

>> No.16475403

>>16475355
That actually sounds like a really cool idea. Can't wait to read it, if you decide to go for it

>> No.16475418

>>16473682
It reads very formally. Not bad for that style but some formal style writings are written in a bit more variety which pushes the formalism into different uses. A really good piece of work I read which has two narratives, one more non fictional, which eventually blend more and more into each other.
Another style is adding relevant poetry to bring out a topic of which progresses the fictional narrative.

>> No.16475482

So in my story the author mentions using pseudonyms for everyone. So far I've got Ever and Anon, Wynken, Blynken, and Nod, and Hither, Thither, and Yon. Those are the eight I've got names for so far in a short story. I think it's fun but it's probably just confusing.

>> No.16475767

When I woke up, there were three young Black women standing next to my bed. They cast no shadows on the floor. Two had an Afro and one had a weave.

“Ay yo! Are you Dr. Martin Luther King Jr?” asked the Black woman with the weave. “Because I had a dream bout you.”

“What … who is … do you mean the Black man who broke off from the Black Catholic church?”

“Hol up,” said one of the Afro-haired Black women. “Don’t you be trying to hog him. Mmm mmm, he fine as hell.”

“Gurl, you know he be enough for all of us,” said the other Afro-haired woman. “Denzel Washington here gonna share his thick body with everyone.”

“And if he don’t,” added the weave Black woman, “He gonna get his ass whooped so hard, his bottom gonna be all leg, no ass.”

The Black woman with the weave leapt in bed with me. She got on her hands and knees and sat in between my legs. She arched her back and licked her lips. Her sharp canine teeth gleaned blueish-white in the moonlight. Slowly, she lowered her head toward my lower torso. I tried to move, but my body felt heavy.

“Wait, please,” I said. “I have a fiancée. You can’t do this.”

She smiled and looked up at me. Then she crawled closer to my head. I could feel her hot breath on my neck. My skin tingled as she moved in closer, closer. Her lips lightly kissed the most sensitive part of my neck. Then, I felt the two indentations of her canine teeth. My heart thumped louder and louder.

>> No.16475769

>>16475767
But then, the room grew cold and dark. A dark hand grabbed the woman’s hair and pulled her back.

“Get your hands off of me!” she screamed.

Count Blackula wretched her out of the bed and onto the floor. With one hand, the woman cradled her head. With the other, she raised her index finger and waved it at the Count.

“Ah hell no! Anybody who touch my weave – I will cut them.”

Her black eyebrows furrowed, and she snarled like an animal. But the Count’s anger was far greater than hers, as if the fires of Black hell were within him. The lines of his face were deep and hard. He grabbed the woman by the shoulder and flung her across the room. The two other women screamed and flailed their arms. Count Blackula then swept his arm, the same way that I saw the carriage driver sweep his arm with the wolves on the night that I first arrived. All three women immediately retreated into the in the corner and whimpered.

“Back! Get back!” shouted Count Blackula. “How dare any of your wenches touch him, even look at him, when I had forbidden it?”

The Black woman with the weave said, “Men really be thinking they can treat us like this. This ain’t right, bae.”

“I promise that when I’m done with him, all of you can have your way with him.”

“And what about tonight? I’m hungry,” said one of the Afro-haired women.

The Count took out a sack from his cloak and threw it at the women. I heard a faint cry come out of the bag as it thudded on the floor. The Black women crowded around the bag and pulled out a barely moving child. They cackled and left. But they didn’t go out of the room through the door. Their crawled to the window, jumped out, and turned into shadowy flying creatures.

The Count stood over me and swept his arm. My body felt very tired and I passed out.

>> No.16475819

>>16475769
I'm going to write a new divine comedy and add a special place in hell for you

>> No.16475836

>>16475819
Look at this yt boy here tryna to stop us brothers from literature. For real it people like you who keepin us forever on the plantation

>> No.16475909

I've found that Reddit's BlackPeopleTwitter has been a good source of black slang. Did you know that some threads are "country club threads" meaning that only verified black people are allowed to post? It's their own form of self-segregation

>> No.16475943

>>16475767
>>16475769
You're going to get rich - if you are not white, of course.

>> No.16475964
File: 173 KB, 1200x709, Untitled.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16475943
Er ... of course I am not white. I am very very black

>> No.16476163

>>16475964
You telling me the aegyptians aint black? pharoah tutatuutatuu is black man they skin black, the aegyptians was black man, julius caesar was a black man, and if these damn white people man, if they send us back to africa, oh they gon wan us back, lemme tell you

>> No.16476166
File: 62 KB, 646x646, Murakami running.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I ran for two and a half hours today. Shit's pretty cash. Is it even possible to write about such a personal and subjective experience in an interesting way?

>> No.16476184

>>16475482
> Ever and Anon, Wynken, Blynken, and Nod, and Hither, Thither, and Yon
Use names of famous German people
Ever --> Eva
Anon --> Adolf
Wynken --> Werner
Hither --> Heimlich
etc

>> No.16476361

I wrote this text
> “I’m hungry,” said one of the Afro-haired women.
Would it be racist to change it to
> I'm hoongry

That's what I had in mind when I wrote it, but I don't know if it's woke or not to write it in a phonetic black-accent

>> No.16476396
File: 18 KB, 326x500, 41-AujivN3L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16476166
read this

>> No.16476438

>>16476396
I have, it's why I posted an image of Murakami.

>> No.16476644

Word count standards in traditional publishing right now are really weird. What happened to short, pulpy scifi/fantasy? Books that you could really fit in your pocket. Those old DAW books with the yellow spines.

My current WIP is a scifi/horror, first draft topped out at 66k words, near the end of my 2nd draft and after cutting and adding scenes it's still not going to get much longer. I think the plot is sufficient, I'll probably add more navel gazing and shit once I start polishing the prose, but according to publishers that's way too short for a scifi. That said, I'm not hung up on trad publishing, just using that as an example, and it got me thinking: Why?

>> No.16476671

>>16476644
More bang for your buck?

>> No.16476861

>>16473969
Is this the writing equivalent of a furry?

>> No.16476933

>>16476184
That is stupid.

>> No.16476937

>>16476861
That would still be furries, bro. They exist everywhere.

>> No.16477255

Would anyone mind if i asked for some help with a short script here? I know its not the format of writing usually posted here, but the help im asking for is really only regarding simplifying and clarifying a part of the story/setting and nothing that involves the specific script format so i figured itd be okay.
I don't know where else to go to ask for that kind of stuff, and i don't really wanna deal with reddit or whatever. I just need a fresh pair of eyes really to help point in right direction

>> No.16477656

>>16477255
In the time it took you to type that out you could have posted it and specified the type of help you wanted.

>> No.16478326

I get the impression that any piece of dialogue I write is just an echo of a sentence I've already heard before in a movie or read in another book. As a result, it feels as though my characters are talking in cliched dialogue without much substance.
Does anyone else here struggle with this? How may I overcome it?

>> No.16478619

>>16478326
How do you engage in normal conversation with people? Do that. Write dialog by how you know people speak. People usually aren't so succinct as they are in movies and books, rambling, stuttering, uhs and ums, that kind of thing. Incorporate that narratively into dialog. Watch the show Home Movies. The dialog is phenomenal, and it was mostly improv.

>> No.16478624

>>16478326
Every idea has been done a thousand times before. Every word has been spoken. But nobody has read every book, so whatever.

>> No.16478764
File: 18 KB, 413x413, 1519361131615.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16478619
>How do you engage in normal conversation with people?
Hardly ever.

>> No.16478911

>>16478326
>talking in cliched dialogue
So, just like how people normally talk in real life? You can overcome this by not thinking that everything you write needs to be original. Execution is what people care about

>> No.16478922

>>16476644
Most scifi novels I've read are 300-400 pages. do with that information what you will

>> No.16478942

>>16473335
Not until Monday.

>> No.16478949

>>16476644
66k is a fine length. First you need an agent. Then talk to them about your concerns.

>> No.16479175

>>16478764
I'm not asking how often I'm asking how you actually do it.

>> No.16479237

>>16478326
I'll guarantee it's probably better than mine. I have the problem of writing dialog in passing, like not what they're actually saying but talking about their conversation. It's strange.
>They exchanged glances at the fork in the road, murmuring under his breath about this being a mistake he took the left path and his compatriot followed. He asked him why they took this path and he paused and chewed his lip in thought. Perhaps they should have taken the right, he had surmised to his friend, but they should follow his initial instinct and see this course through to the end.
It's bizarre and I imagine not fun to read.

>> No.16479301

>>16479237
Sometimes it's alright. If your characters have a long conversation that isn't very relevant to the plot, it's probably better to give a summary. I'd be pretty annoyed if every conversation was done like that, though

>> No.16479485

Been posting some essays and articles on medium, mostly on Joyce and Irish culture and politics,got a few views from shilling it on some weird website. Thinking of posting some short stories as well. If anyone is interested I'll drop the link but I don't want to come across as some shill.

>> No.16479641

>>16479485
a few of us shill already, some even posted their amazon books here and there, and free serial works. so youll be fine.

>> No.16479666

>>16479641
Cool, https://medium.com/@StCleary here I am, the Ulysses essay is my favourite but I'll be honest I really could have had another few thousand words

>> No.16480123

I think dialogue is the only thing I’m consistently good at, but most of what I’ve been writing recently doesn’t really use it. Too scared to go back to the heavy dialogue project.

>> No.16480208

>>16479175
>I'm asking how you actually do it.
Not the guy you're replying to, but I wouldn't if I were you. Dialogue in any fiction will always be hyper-stylized to achieve what the writer is aiming at; and if it isn't, if it attempts to be "realistic" or naturalistic to the point of being transcribed from real-life, it can seem lazy or unimaginative. Gaddis is always praised for his fine ear for American speech, and he stated in a rare interview that he had actually sat in the back of an elementary school bus to capture the speech patterns of the grade schoolers to better style his protagonist in JR, a novel composed almost entirely of speech and dialogue. But even then, it is not true to life

>> No.16480419

>>16479666
How does medium work? Can anyone make an account and start posting articles and stories?

>> No.16480435

If I fail at getting my novel traditionally published, what is the best option? Posting it on WordPress and shilling on Twitter, and then offering a copy on Amazon? Refuse to use RR.

>> No.16480462

>>16480435
Wordpress is one way. I think you could possibly do neocities too? Twitter is possibly one of your best bets for exposure. There's a #amwriting and #writingcommunity, and #writerslift as well. Just bear in mind there's hundreds of thousands of other people doing the same exact thing, and they expect you to follow back and check out their well as well. Works well in theory—not so much in execution. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

>> No.16480496

>>16480419
You make an account and can publish blog posts to it. To get paid you have to become a partner with one of their thingys.

https://medium.com/the-write-brain/how-to-start-writing-on-medium-a-tutorial-a5d89926f5ef

>>16480435
I'd suggest putting it on amazon w/ KDP then running ads for it either on amazon itself or facebook, targeting your demographic, All the while writing the next one because you are now a content machine. That'll require a few days of research in your genre and learning the tools of self publishing as well.

>> No.16480573

>>16480435
Amazon is the best option. You can also sell your book on Barnes and Nobles press and Google Books

>> No.16480725
File: 5 KB, 264x191, dfw4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When you write stuff does it make you incessantly giggle? Like, I doubt anyone will actually find any of these things funny, but I can't stop laughing at my own jokes.

>> No.16480772

>>16480725
Yeah I laugh at my own jokes all the time. If you're not enjoying what you write, you're probably doing it wrong

>> No.16480780

>tfw neglecting my "duties" as a capitalist goodboy neglecting work in order to dedicate to my writing
>tfw I'm made to think what I am doing by following my passion and purpose is decadent, extravagant, and wrong

>> No.16480789

>>16480725
I laugh at my 4chan shitposts all the time. But that's because they are funny.

>> No.16480805

>>16480780
>realizing that wage slaving is unfulfilling and degrades the soul, and that following your passions leads to a good life
H-hey, stop that...we didn't put you through government funded education so that you could become a free thinker

>> No.16480822
File: 43 KB, 313x500, 51VsbUOAmIL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guess I'll post this here before I go and make a whole thread about it.
What writing books helped you guys the most when learning how to write? I'm especially interested in writing characters which is why I'm reading pic related, but I want to know what the other hits are here.

>> No.16480823

>>16480805
Sucks for you then government! Are you so afraid of giving rise to the exact same type of person that gave rise to you?

>> No.16480877

>>16480822
>writing books
People actually read these? I just sit down and write from the seat of my pants. That said my writing isn't good but I feel like I'm at least honing something on my own.

>> No.16480907

>>16480877
Reading writing books gives you a massive advantage over other amateur writers. I've only read a couple, and I'm already able to recognize a lot of the techniques being used in books I read

>> No.16480960

>>16480822
While I don't like the specific step by step approach of it, The Weekend Novelist has a really amazingly autistic approach to checklisting your characters. It goes over physical look, physical traits, backstory, disposition etc. I don't really use it's material, but the idea of that rapid randomization has been really helpful. My favorite is going to a cafe (lol when u could safely) and just stare at people and imagine who they are and make up these elaborate backstories to them. I mean, I do it with the funny voices I do. Just the other day a friend and I started spitballing this whole old man architect ex socialist who has three kids but only one of them talks to him and his wife had cancer etc. etc.

Beyond that I haven't really read a whole lot more about making characters because all my characters are just amalgamations of the thousands of people I've met in my life.

>> No.16481150

Ok, so this probably seems like a "No shit, retard" question, given how popular this subject is, but how can I write a pair of characters having sexual tension? I tend to err on the side of cutesy and wholesome, like the more shy character holding the other's hand and being embarrassed by their own PDA, or the trope of one partner looking out over the scenery and exclaiming that it's beautiful and the other agreeing while looking at their partner, for example. It's sweet, and I like that sort of stuff. But how do I make it, you know, spicy?

Do they have to be in sort of competition with each other? Throw affectionate banter at each other? Is it something that's more easily expressed through aggressive body language? Stubborn denial of their feelings for each other?

The pair I'm trying to write for is a friendly, optimistic, and 'rushes headfirst into danger' guy with a shy, pessimistic, sarcastic, and observant girl. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

>> No.16481179

>>16481150
>The pair I'm trying to write for is a friendly, optimistic, and 'rushes headfirst into danger' guy with a shy, pessimistic, sarcastic, and observant girl.
with that pairing have the guy keep making direct moves and not be embarrassed by PDA

>> No.16481193

Hooray, 1500 words spat out and thrown up on the internet. That's it for today.

>>16481150
With those two character architypes the tension generally builds from some tsundere banter at first from the female with the male trying to meet the expectations he thinks she has for them, but the majority of it ends in these long awkward pauses. Time slows down. Neither one can think of what to say. Their minds race with what they should do. Everything that drips out of their mouths is awkward and stupid and the pair just gets closer to each other as if the worlds slowest magnet is drawing them together. Eventually they meet. They caress. The girl looks away. The guy looks down at her. The time frozen awkwardness starts again and it all happens again, until their lips, just as their bodies, slowly and without control eventually meet. From that point everything goes into over drive and sex happens pretty quickly after they rip each others clothes off and then awkwardly find a condom, and then theres that thing with your pants and you trip and then it's like, do I keep the socks on or not? How cold is it compared to how hot and sweaty I'll be, oh god shes sucking my cock I guess the socks stay on. God I hope don't cum too soon. oh shit but what if I don't cum at all? How much have I had to drink? Oh fuck thats nice.

God I miss women.

>> No.16481243

>>16481179
Thanks, anon. I'm going through scenarios in my head, and you're right. That does fix a few of the problems I was having.
>>16481193
Jesus, anon. Thanks for the tips on how to progress a conversation into something more sensual.

>> No.16481292

>>16481243
Sure thing anon. It really does happen where the two are talking and chatting and then something happens, they run out of things to say, all third parties leave the room, they make eye contact. Anything, and then it gets quiet, almost like an interpretive dance or game of charades.

The first few times it happened I thought it was magical, but then I realized, that's just how it happens for charming, kinda awkward guys like me and the types of women I'm into.

The more rowdy girls would tell me to shut up and jump my bones, but for the most part it's quiet and awkward and lovely.

Hope this helps.

>> No.16481293

working on my own little rendition of Tam Lin, it's about halfway done. Let me know what you think.
https://write.as/34pd853ffwy3c.md

>> No.16481294

>>16480435
why don't you like RoyalRoad? Is it run by Jews or something?

>> No.16481301

So is the best way to write a story simply to plan it and write it out as draft, then re-write it several times so you fix all the errors?

>> No.16481318

>>16481294
It's not elitist enough.

>> No.16481323

>>16481301
"Best" is subjective. Some people don't like to plan. Some people don't "re-write" they only technical edit. It's all about what process works best for the way your brain works. If iteration derives creativity more than the initial spark, then rewrite as much as you can. If you can't think of anything without an outline, plot plot plot. If you want to discover the journey but know the vague idea of where it's going, then do that. It takes time to figure out what method accomplishes your goals.

>> No.16481327

>>16481323
Alright, thanks anon

>> No.16481334

>>16481301
If you like watching tube videos, this gal gives some pretty solid advice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eryQEZImm6Y

>> No.16481335

>>16481294
I hate isekai and LitRPG.

>> No.16481406

>>16481334
Nice video. Good explanation and she's also a qt.

>> No.16481569

I fucking hate prose that's affected and trying to sound witty and clever, but that's the kind that's popular with everyone, and the only other options are sounding pretentious or dull and flavorless. Why is writing so hard

>> No.16481601

>>16481334
Good video, but it was definitely way too long for the amount of info that was given. A lot of youtube videos are like that though, so I guess it just comes with the platform

>> No.16481697

>>16481601
The medium is the message was the last thread, anon.

>> No.16481810

>>16480725
of course. one has to be in a humorous mood before they can write humour

>> No.16481868

>>16473335
While writing I thought my prose felt like a fairly tale's so I've been reading andersen
His rambling nonsensical plots aside, he's quite good at imagery. Might keep reading him for imagery study
Are all fairytale writers so based?

>> No.16482385
File: 38 KB, 639x512, 1573523271946.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have a terrible, irrational fear that nobody will like the book I have written.

This is despite having somebody who's been reading it throughout and telling me it's brilliant, and having someone else who's reading the completed thing and telling me she's liked it so far.

I'm crawling all over with irrational fear. This is my baby, this story. What if everyone hates it?

>> No.16482419
File: 76 KB, 920x981, 382AB9DA-46BB-44ED-AF96-31974E791FF6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16482385
You have two people who like it already, that means, worse case scenario it’s Everyone - 2. So, your conclusion is inherently flawed. The next question is why do you think your work is so bad that no one will like it? There’s always a target demographic for something. Be it ironic or sincere, there is always a market. There is always some group who will enjoy it. The real question is, who is that group of people, anon?

This could also be the wrong line of questioning, taking your word at its face. Maybe we should ask, where does this fear come from? Is it self worth? Is the argument “no one will like my stuff because I don’t like my stuff because I don’t like myself and anything myself produces is axiomatically bad and thus no one likes it because it is inherently bad.” If that’s the case, you have an inverse affliction, how impressive it is that you are such a spectacular writer that NOT A SINGLE PERSON likes your material. Wow. How does someone pull that off? I mean, there’s got to be a person or two out there that likes something EVERYONE hates. Oh wait, you already found those two, so it can’t be that either.

Maybe you’re scared of death and the realization you put all this time and love into something and you’d see it as wasted if no one else appreciated it. Well, if that’s the case how can you call yourself an artist? An artist created for the act of creation and self expression. If you aren’t doing that, then you’re writing to an audience, which, if that were the case, definitionally, you’d have people who would like it. So that can’t be it either.

Anon, why are you so scared?

>> No.16482449
File: 202 KB, 800x1236, 1583792849822.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16482419
It's because THIS work is special. I've written short stories, poems, novels, in the past, and shared them with people, and they've liked it.

But they haven't mattered like THIS work does. This work, I envision as my masterpiece. This work, this story, and what follows from it, is the summit of all I have ever dreamed of. I dream of it being a masterpiece, and truly one of the great works of art of the 21st century.

So if people don't like THIS, then I have failed in a very fundamental way, one that will make me question everything I have ever been working towards as a writer and a poet.

It's the great importance that I, personally, place on it, that has me so jittery about this story. THIS story cannot fail. It's too important to me, personally, to fail. So even in the face of praise, I feel frightened, because I have a totally irrational fear that somebody's going to pull the rug out from under me. Because I'm used to failures and setbacks, when writing and trying to get published.

>> No.16482467

>>16482419
I smell projection

>> No.16482476
File: 245 KB, 1280x906, E073A40C-E7A9-4FAA-A5B0-DA39649F1DCA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16482449
If the most beautiful work instills fear in you, if the entire process of creation of it has now faded away, if your entire world is now based on this books material success, if the work itself is not beautiful in itself and by itself, then it has already failed. It is already dead, and you need to come to terms and attend it’s funeral.

>> No.16482487

>>16482467
Any work I make is either consumed or not. I do not hedge my bets and fall so madly in love with the inherent greatness of any particular thing that my entire psyche is rocked to the core by its prospective failure on the market. I make things for myself, and make them accessible to others.

>> No.16482488

>>16482449
Well if every living person indeed hates it. There is still a chance someone discovers it in the future, maybe it would then become a classic of the century. People don't think much of Bach when he was still alive for exemple.

>> No.16482499

>>16482487
I hope you will find love someday anon. To devote every fiber of one's being for something is a joy itself

>> No.16482526

>>16482499
If you define love as the approval of other people you need to learn to love yourself first anon. Stop romanticizing financial gain with the guise of artistic fervor.

>> No.16482542

>>16482385
Watch some booktubers review some random contemporary books. I've read books that I thought were 0/10 dnf, but the girls on YouTube give it 11/10. There are people who like everything

>> No.16482545

>>16482449
Post an excerpt so I can tell you what I think about it

>> No.16482566

>>16482526
I don't. Kind of a No (You) but you seem to be the type to care too much about the approval of others, so you write for yourself alone and if it isn't well received you can always you the card I don't care about others' opinion. Nothing wrong with that. But if you really put ll of yourself in something, all love and griefs and beliefs without any reservations, the work then become an extension of yourself and an attack on it is an attack on yourself. Naturally you would want it to be loved by others too.

I'm not even that anon, but your condescending attitude towards someone justified fear annoyed me greatly. It out you as someone who doesn't dare to stand up for himself and hide behind the ironic and aloof cover of "like it or not, consume it or not, I don't give a fuck"

>> No.16482609

>>16482566
Didn’t mean to annoy, and I suppose my comments got progressively more condescending as it become more a back and forth than a conversation.

My goal was to help anon formulate a mental state to alleviate his anxieties, experience an ego death of his writing, or just some how cope with the stresses of a completed work. The practice of severing yourself from the work after it’s done is difficult and I’ve had anxiety before the opening of my art shows or even when I send a word doc to a friend of a short story, but these anxieties can be crushed quickly by a bit of mental gymnastics and mindfulness.

I suppose in the end I didn’t really help and I just shit up the place. My bad.

>> No.16482656

>>16482385
Many immortal classics of literature were hated when they first came out. And considering what kind of trash most people read these days, I'd say being hated would be the clearest sign that you had something good.

>> No.16482663

>>16481335
You're childish. There are serious non-weeb, non-fantasy works posted too.

>> No.16482711
File: 1.55 MB, 3648x5488, TAE-lifetree-timeline-text.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wtf my post wasn't allowed to appear itt

I spent like 10 minutes on that bitch. oh well.

>> No.16482723

>>16482609
Well, it could help some people with low self esteem at least. I admit I got a bit personal too, since I usually see normies make fun of people who genuinely invested in their hobby.

>> No.16482736

Just got done writing this story it’s about 50 pages, would any of you tell me how it turned out?

tinyurl dot com slash yd349dff

>> No.16482744

>>16482723
I think there are a lot haters around here, who feel threatened by writing that is different than what they are interested in. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it bad. In fine art, some of the most important works appear to be the work of a child or a madman. This is because what is valuable in art is the ability to create a 'language' that new, and can describe states of existence in new ways for a new world. Abstract expressionism was probably the greatest revolution in painting since the cave-days but some of it looks like some drunken monkey was given some paint to throw around. People who think this stuff is bad art are like religious fanatics that think that their imaginary skydaddy is the one true god. It's like this with writing as well. I love e.e.cummings but what would the Greeks think about him? My only point is go ahead and hate whatever you want, but just because you hate doesn't mean it's bad. It may be that you simply fail to understand the piece.

>> No.16482750

>>16482736
I'll read it tomorrow and get back to you. Need to get some writing of my own done before I go to sleep

>> No.16482752

>>16482736
put it on pastebin if you want us to read it

>> No.16482791

>>16482488
>People don't think much of Bach when he was still alive for exemple.

are you fucking serious nigger? First of all, it is the opinion of nearly everyone who knows anything about music or art in general consider JS Bach to be one of, if not the, greatest artist to ever live in the history of humanity. This recognition of his greatness was even noticed by the leader of his nation-state and he was given the office of court composer. This would be like being appointed the Composer General today. Bach's music was so loved by especially the upper class of society while he lived that nearly every ball or other event featured his newest compositions. His organ work was played in every cathedral and church and remains so to this very day. Why would you even post something so glaringly invalid as you did? Do you think you're trolling me? Because I'm not mad, I just feel bad for you son if you really think that JS Bach was 'hated' in his day. Only a monster could hate Bach.

>> No.16482794

>>16482752

Eh I would but there’s relevant art pieces and a portrait that fit with the music selections. Apologies.

>>16482750

Thanks!

>> No.16482797

>>16482736
>More schizo ramblings by a namefag
what did I expect

>> No.16482839

>>16482797
Oh come now, the retarded highfalutin ridiculous trash of a tripfag can still have value. Does it not make you laugh? If you do not laugh at it I would have to question your taste and intelligence, sir. Perhaps you take art too seriously. When I first read the work of the tripfag known as Frater Asemlen I was taken aback. 'Mine got', I thought to myself. 'I hate this poem more than anything I have ever read before in my life'. It was like something that some semi-educated rich kid that was actually legit retard due to inbreeding etc would think of as 'poetry'. Frater Tripfag is profound in a way. Perhaps he is profound in the sense of being so horrificly annoying that you wish you beat him to death with his own printed manuscript, but let's face it, inspiring murderous hate and rage to that degree is undeniably an accomplishment.

>> No.16482890

>>16482711
>multiplicity
>lifetree
sounds like you're not being very anti-aborescent

>> No.16482913

>>16482791
Well in my defense, I didn't research his background too deeply and only read the wikipedia article. It's written there that only in the 19th century when the Bach society actively promotee his works that they became known again

>> No.16482968

>>16482913
Bach was never, nor will even a single concerto be lost or forgotten for so long as humanity exists. If we were to present a reason not to wipe out our species to a malevolent race of space-conquerors, but rather keep us around as amusing pets, we should give the ayyliens the complete work of Bach and Bach alone, nothing else. Perhaps that would save us. I don't know. But I do know that the Bach society is not responsible for Bach being known. Bach is reponsible for his own ascendancy and immortality in the history of humanity. He shows us what being human can be if we stop being such faggots. And that state of existence is closer to a god than an animal.

>> No.16482977

>>16482968
>we should give the ayyliens the complete work of Bach and Bach alone, nothing else.
what if they're deaf

>> No.16482979

>>16482968
>we should give the ayyliens the complete work of Bach and Bach alone, nothing else.
What if they're more into country music than baroque

>> No.16482988

>>16482797

Sorry! Heavily into mysticism and occultism should have explained the story is heavy on christian and general mysticism.

>>16482839

Any writers or books you’d recommend then? Kek

>> No.16482996

>>16482977
>what if they're deaf

Then we simply convert the resonant frequencies of our Western chromatic scale to the dominant EM frequencies of visible light, duh and make a low-powered poly-gain laserorgan to directly project the various concertos, fugues, and other forms of Bach directly into the image-organ of our new intergalactic overlords, of course. God, it's like you didn't know that the chromatic note A4 = 440 Hz and the color Violet Blue is 440 nm so that in that way we could show them what our 'sound' is like using color and light.

>> No.16483010

>>16482996
i-i knew that, just making sure you knew too obviously

>> No.16483043

>>16475769

You have a bright future anon.

>> No.16483053

>>16483043
>black future
Surely you mean

>> No.16483064

>>16483053
Well the way europe and america is importing africans all our futures are gonna be blacked, amirite?

>> No.16483319

>>16482890
>sounds like you're not being very anti-aborescent

hmmm now you're giving me ideas. multiplicity does indeed imply multiple seeds does it not. like imagine if the same person could be born in different places and different times, but are still the same person somehow. cool idea, i'm gonna use it. and it will use some kind of subtle magic in the story to switch storyseeds, determining where Tae is reborn in a Red Rite-like manner. The Red Rite is when a powerful adept takes a young female and forms a powerful love-binding on her. He then gets her preggers then offs himself in the first trimester. The adepts abilities in the astral world then allow him to find his new body through the love-binding with the young female, resulting in reincarnation into the fetus. You gotta git gud in the astral realms tho. Dangerous in there.

>> No.16483749

>>16481293
are you going to add illustrations? This seems like the ideal story to add pictures of kelpies, boggarts, and of course, Tam Lin

>> No.16484081

>>16480877
>violin classes
>people actually take these? I just pick up the instrument and scrape the the bow against the strings like it's the world's dullest saw. That said my playing has gotten me evicted twice but I feel like I'm at least honing something on my own.
There are less retarded ways to live, anon. Just pick good books.

>> No.16484292
File: 234 KB, 500x400, 1520198991819.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16482663

>> No.16484346

>>16483749
I wasn't planning on it, but that is a good idea. Although, that seems more in the vein of a children's book, and I think it seems a little too graphic for that.

>> No.16485900

>>16484081
A poor analogy. By virtue of going to school you already know how to read and write, and by being here it's also assumed you are somewhat well read. By being both of those it isn't terribly difficult to find a voice for yourself, narratively. Is the book teaching you just how to write, or how to discipline yourself how to write a book? Creative writing isn't difficult. Learning an instrument is something completely foreign to human experience. You don't speak or write normally in bass clef, you don't think inwardly with a flute solo.

>> No.16486178

rate me poem.
>Dharmas in pyjamas are running down the stairs. Dharmas in pyjamas are chasing teddy bears. Case in point. Bomb the living shit out of sceptred isle, setting the score back to zero. Mister Speaker, let me first address the house with two words: Nuclear War. Let’s make that three to simmer in the mental soup of the right honorable gentleman. Total Nuclear Holocaust. This is the ultimate measure of our representative democracy, the ultimate yardstick, absolute annihilation, by which to determine our place in the universe, viz. Heideggerian death as noted in his 1927 magnum opus Being and Time.

>> No.16486288

>>16485900
Knowing how to write and being well read does not a writer make.
Practice is meaningless if done incorrectly. Performance analysts have time and time again come to the conclusion that simply doing a thing for long periods of time will not make you better at it past a basic level of competence.
The best sort of practice is the one that incides on one's weaknesses and is overseen by a master of the craft, someone who knows what you're doing wrong and what you should do to correct it.
A prospective writer, even a well-read one, may know what books he likes best and what writers he hopes to emulate. However, he doesn't know the series-sequel binary. He has no idea how narratives are structured. He doesn't know how to build characters or even what a good character looks like, or the narrative tricks that make him cry, laugh, and hate along with the protagonist. He's likely to engage in purple prose because he confuses abstruse and opaque writing with complex sentence structure.
Now, this well-meaning amateur can start from scratch and, without the faintest idea how, improve his prose, narrative structure, and character building, without forgetting hooks, endings, grammar, emotional engagement, cliché abuse, and a myriad of aspects else. He might even get to a point where he's competent, certainly, even though he's travelling through new territory without a map. Or, he can learn from the people who came before. Who have tested what works and what doesn't and are happy to tell you why. He might benefit from knowing the rules before he sets out to break them.
>creative writing isn't difficult
Idiocy.

>> No.16486396

>>16486288
>Idiocy.
Maybe for the unimaginative.

>> No.16486444

>>16486288
>Knowing how to write and being well read does not a writer make.

This might be the single most retarded thing I have read in nearly 3 decades on the internet. You sir, deserve an award for this degree of archetype-tier idiocy. I fucking hate you. I fucking hate you because you think that only your dogmatic 'orthodox' form of writing can ever be 'good' or readable: according to you, we need a 'master' to show us the ancient and accepted formulae for creating stories. Well, fuck your faggot 'masters' and fuck you too you fucking philistine. You will never be a real artist. No one who adopts the slavery of your orthodoxy will ever be a real artist. You and your kind are nothing more than another cult full of fanatics and true believers who crawl on their knees before you 'masters' to be inducted into your little cult of frauds, all so you can suck each off, telling each other 'Yes, your work is good. You followed the formula perfectly. And it is without a single original thought or challenge to our Structure. This makes good writing'. Then you disgusting, fraudulent ratfucks go scurrying around, trying to tell talented but inexperienced writers that their work isn't good and it will never be good until they get rid of their pesky deviations, especially the 'original idea'' deviation. Which is the deviation you hate the most. You make me sick. You are even below a pseud, because at least a merely fails on a personal level to be the artist or intellectual he wants to be, usually due to laziness. You are a literal force of failure, enforcing the darkness of your slavery to your Structure. You are a darkwit, identical in spirit to the Inquisition and every other suppressive or oppression institution in human history. You should be wiped off the face of planet, all your boring books burned along with your bodies. In fact, I suggest you kill yourself, you sickening darkwit.

>> No.16486496

>man who's everyday job is to analyse and record the (regular) crop circles
what the is >then one day from here?
the >then ayy lmaos finnaly arriv is too trite

>> No.16486527

>>16486444
>seething this hard because someone suggested that reading books on the writing craft is a valuable use of time
Everything he said is right. I've seen plenty of people who write an absurd amount but can't get a novel anywhere close to publishable because they don't understand narrative structure. It is assumed that, if you're posting here, you're trying to work on something to be published; but if you just like masturbating and writing stuff that only you enjoy, then please go elsewhere

If I want to do anything new I pick up a book or watch some guides. Writing isn't different just because some people like you think that you have to be original and cool by throwing out all of the common techniques

>> No.16486535

What are the first things I do when writing a story?

>> No.16486551

>>16486535
dance a minuet

>> No.16486588

>>16486396
>"Piano 'Not that difficult,' says man who just learned chopsticks.

>>16486288
Reddit

>> No.16486624

>>16486527
>Everything he said is right.

>I too will bend the knee to the masters of publishing because I love sucking dick and writing does not come easily to me anyway because I have nothing to say so following formula makes the process a lot less scary.

>I can't even conceive of the idea of doing this 'new' thing you post about. The only 'new' I know is what is 'new' to me: the accepted and published, the gelded and lobotimized work of the Insipid Masters most of all I find comfort in the Guides of our High Priests because the actual New scares me. It scares me because it indicates that some men have generative powers I can not mimic or even comprehend.

>Different isn't different just because you coolkids think that original different is different than previously unknown different work.

>Don't you know that the common techniques are the only way to be different? Because different thing is the same. The same is the only different thing that can be different.

>Doing writing thing because you enjoy it and the scary creative process is like masturbating because you are not having sex in the missionary position for the sole sake of procreation. This different thing scares me. Scary deviant sex freaks like you who masturbate should go away.

>Go away bad scary freethink man.

>I said go away!

I just love to see you worms squirm.

>> No.16486638

>>16486624
Alright, post an excerpt so we can continue this discussion

>> No.16486668

>>16486638
Ok faggot. I'll do it. But only for a single reason: I want to see you cry like a bitch. Of course, it mostly gleans greater meaning within context of the longer work, but here we go.

>> No.16486683

>>16486444
Lmao, calm down, anon. It's weird that you've been on the internet for 30 years, because you write like a teenager. I was going to call you out for being underage, but I'll take you at your word.
You can tilt at windmills all you want, but the simple fact is you don't even know what you're angry about. In that entire tryhard diatribe you couldn't piece a single thought together that addressed any of my points. In fact, you even failed to grasp the argument itself, which wasn't that you should stick to the well worn path, but that you should know the path backwards and forwards before you venture away from it. Refusing to do so will just end with you lost in your own backyard. That will show those orthodox explorers.
Talent doesn't exist, anon. The only people who use it as praise are people who never even got close to making it. Experience, practice, is the only thing that matters, and even then it has to be the correct kind of experience. Write 3000 words in a single stream-of-thought fugue every day for a year and see where that gets you. And then compare with writing a single short story from start to finish while keeping in mind the very basics of structure, action, and character development.
I'll take a darkspirit that produced something I can critique over a lazy tortured artiste any day of the week, anon. At least one of the two put in the work.

>> No.16486691

>>16486668
Can't wait, anon :^)

>> No.16486706
File: 100 KB, 476x300, the-newgods.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16486638
>>16486668
Internal Issue, a tabloid X-Droid app and tv show on Old Channel 13, ran this story on VITO on May 5th, 2040 AD:
[A computer generated neon-haired talking head appears.]
“In his pre-Sublimated mortal form, VITO was a genderqueer animal rights activist and veterinary technician originally named Charles Leuker. “
[A photograph of a pink haired nerdy young man is shown on the screen.]
“When he won the Sublime Prize on Templ,”
[images from ‘Sublimation Time’ and the UR Syndicate]
“his intention was to become the protector god of all vertebrate animals. After becoming a god, He realized that vast sets of knowledge did not automatically come with new Divine status."
[Sad picture of VITO.]
“VITO soon gave up on being that kind of protector god and just kind of wandered around for a while, showing up at the random animal rights protest."
[A different computer-generated talking head appears with the video depicting the following appearing in its huge eyes.]
“One day, while VITO was at a halal slaughterhouse protest event, one of His fellow protestor’s bulldog dropped dead. The dead dog’s owner cried “Frankie, no!” VITO then went over and placed His hands on the dead dog and looked up at its owner and said He wished He could bring Frankie the bulldog back but....... Amazingly, Frankie just got right back up, drooling a little. After that, VITO started making a living raising people and their pets from the grave.”
[More neon haired talking heads appear in the eyes of the largest talking head.]
“A few weeks after this VITO set up shop on 24th and Cyprus,”
[Image of dilapidated buildings that are on that corner appear in the eyes of the talking head]
“raising the dead based on His client’s income, usually around $300. Almost immediately, the Palladins of GAIAN declared Holy War on the Recently Deceased, basically committing genocide on the two-legged but leaving the Raised pets alone. You might remember #DestroyTheAbominations, the social media campaign started by GAIAN and his minions on Templ.”
[The talking heads look angry.]
“VITO posted on Templ that He needed some pro bono legal work done. A few big shot lawyers decided to work with VITO, taking their case to the UNA and successfully got the Recently Deceased designated a Protected Class. Most of the Palladins of GAIAN are in prison now on hate crime murder charges.”
[The talking heads hold up a finger in a pedantic ‘did you know’ manner.]
“Note: Recently Deceased is no longer the preferred nomenclature. Those who have been Raised from the dead by VITO are now known simply as the Ris. You better respect theEverything he said is right.ir pronouns too, because if you get caught calling the Ris ‘zombies’ or ‘undead’ online you’re liable to get slapped with a hate crime verbal assault charge enforced by LEOG himself!”

>> No.16486754
File: 61 KB, 223x217, Screenshot_2020-09-29_08-18-06.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16486683
>calm down, anon.

I'm being ironically dramatic you humorless, sub-human bitch. I'm playing a character. We call it LARPing. I do it all the time. I do it because it amuses me, not because I actually believe the things I post. It is a kind of slight evolution in trolling, an evolution in that i'm not trying to evoke a reaction or anger in you per se, but rather to entertain and amuse myself. Imbeciles like you actually seem to believe the shit you read on the interent is the actual beliefs and personality of the poster but I'm here to tell you that there indeed people who just go on the internet and lie because it amuses them. I know you can't understand why someone would do that, and this is what betrays you as yet another fucking newfag. And you will always be a newfag because you lack the imagination to dive in the deep water of funposting. I feel bad for you son.

>> No.16486757

>>16486444
>>16486624
>>16486668
I honestly like the comic book aesthetic.
I just you'd posted something more worth critiquing, because this snippet doesn't give me much to work with. There's no development, no action, just a future-pop subjecting of the reader to information. It's just form with no content, and it doesn't even have the grace of being beautiful.
Also, hilariously, it's derivative.

>> No.16486773

>>16486757
>it's derivative.

From what? You better not run away either. I want to know where you think it's derived from.

>> No.16486775

>>16486754
>this much seething

>> No.16486805

>>16486773
Comic books, the wackier beatnicks, pessimistic sci-fi, photo novels, Eminem, modern day mysticism. All of this with a >current year paintjob to spruce it up.
Basically, shit we've moved on from at least 20 years ago and Nick Land is trying to bring back.

>> No.16486862
File: 1.67 MB, 3648x5488, TAE-lifetree-timeline-text2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16486805
Here's something new I'm working on. The text will read this after I fix GIMP, which has somehow been broken.

>An electronic non-linear, hypertext-driven story that exists in several states simultaneously.
Proposed new file format: .elit
Multi-media-supporting open source format with it’s own reader app.
Note: after all the content from a timeline [a,b,c,etc] has been completed, the reader will be sent back to a significantly [algorithmically] shifted and different version of the storyseed at the center of the lifetree. Each nodal dimension behaves this way each time it branches, but only the description of events has changed. The nodal exit points are the same. This keeps the reader interested in reading the entire story in a smooth transition back and forth from the completion of a timeline.

>> No.16486884

>>16486862
Oh, I remember you announcing that project, asking for collaborators. At least I think it was you. It would be funnier if it wasn't, though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you also methhead anon? As a LARP, of course.

>> No.16486913

>>16486862
>this keeps the reader interested in reading
I thought this was besides the point of great writing

>> No.16486948

>>16486754
>t. triggered

>> No.16486973 [DELETED] 

>>16486884
yeah that was me. perhaps the meth is merely part of the character I play. Maybe it's real. But I'm writing some [imo] good stuff right now for the nano/lit/ thread that's going down tomorrow. It's about the genetically modified human survivors of a perfect storm of disasters that wiped out normal humans, called the 'mind freeze', which destroyed humanities ability to adapt and exacerbated the pattern of persecuting our fellow man to extinction, in this case. I call it 'the lesson of the liken' my spechul snowflake spelling of lichen, a symbiotic organism. Check it out. In the story, the death of humanity is precipitated by the BasedBoys, a radical vegan activist group that are not even violent, but mainstream media blame them for something, calling them extremist terrorists which lead to the mindless consumers of MSM hunting them down and killing them for being badmen, which gives rise to more groups of highly violent vegan terrorist groups that actually manage to shut down the electrical grid to stop the production of meat products and avenge the BasedBoys, who are a thinly veiled version of the Proud Boys and this electrical terrorism is what leads to the creation of the 'mind freeze' but you're gonna have to read the story in the nano/lit/ thread tomorrow. The theme is going to be 'elves' and my elves are the genetically modified survivors of humanity who live in trees and have elongated ears and names like Elwand [all male future-elf names begin with El-]. You know, like Elrond. I'm have a great time composing it. Check it out. You can tell me i'm a terrible writer, because this bitch is going to much longer than the 3000 character normal nano/lit/ limit.

>> No.16487003
File: 67 KB, 436x635, 12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

yeah that was me. perhaps the meth is merely part of the character I play. Maybe it's real. But I'm writing some [imo] good stuff right now for the nano/lit/ thread that's going down tomorrow. It's about the genetically modified human survivors of a perfect storm of disasters that wiped out normal humans, called the 'mind freeze', which destroyed humanities ability to adapt and exacerbated the pattern of persecuting our fellow man to extinction, in this case. I call it 'the lesson of the liken' my spechul snowflake spelling of lichen, a symbiotic organism. Check it out. In the story, the death of humanity is precipitated by the SÆyBoys, a radical vegan activist group that are not even violent, but mainstream media blame them for something, calling them extremist terrorists which lead to the mindless consumers of MSM hunting them down and killing them for being badmen, which gives rise to more groups of highly violent vegan terrorist groups that actually manage to shut down the electrical grid to stop the production of meat products and avenge the SÆyBoys, who are a thinly veiled version of the Proud Boys and this electrical terrorism is what leads to the creation of the 'mind freeze' but you're gonna have to read the story in the nano/lit/ thread tomorrow. The theme is going to be 'elves' and my elves are the genetically modified survivors of humanity who live in trees and have elongated ears and names like Elwand [all male future-elf names begin with El-]. You know, like Elrond. I'm have a great time composing it. Check it out. You can tell me i'm a terrible writer, because this bitch is going to much longer than the 3000 character normal nano/lit/ limit.

>> No.16487006
File: 365 KB, 500x275, 1505520771995.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw create stories my entire life(mostly just in my head)
>tfw wasted youth on video games and movies instead of books
>tfw have a hard to getting myself to start reading(tho I'm good once I get over it)
Why am I like this? All I wanna do is read so I can know if my writing is good enough/compares to good stuff, but I can't even be bothered to do that half the time.

>> No.16487015

>>16487006
You just need discipline, anon. You can make up for all of the lost time if you just start using your day efficiently

>> No.16487023

>>16486973
This is the only 4chan thread I allow myself to check (I like to keep my distance from mindvirus), but if you link it here I'd love to take a look.
And don't you dare write about the far future without messing with language in dialogue. Crossed 100 (Moore's run at least) will appeal to your methhead (both real and fake) thought processes, and does a very good job of portraying how language would have evolved 100 years after a world-ending plague.

>> No.16487032

>>16487003
>>16487023

>> No.16487034

>>16487015
If all goes to plan, I'll be moving soon. Maybe then I can make a solid schedule for myself and stick to it.

>> No.16487043

>>16487006
What this anon said >>16487015
Start now. Unironically read (good) self-help books about discipline and procrastination management.

>> No.16487140

>>16487023
>don't you dare write about the far future without messing with language in dialogue.

Man, messing with language and spelling is one my favorite aspects of writing. I suspect that some of my invented nomenclature isn't that creative, but I want it to derive from our current language in a way that is understandable. For example, there is another fork of humanity that is far from human that live in caves and mine the silver for the El [future-elves, the etymology of which comes from the arabic not 'elves' of course]. They cave dwellers are called the Troglow, 'low' and 'troglydite'. Sorry for the spelling but I don't have time to search engine the correct spelling like usual. They are hunted by the genetically modifyed cattle which was the coup de grace of the vegans against the meat industry. They managed to insert genetic code into every living bovine which caused a radical change that was the conversion of the bovine and other livestock into predators, with all the mods common to predators, front facing eyes, sharp teeth, quickness and cleverness, sneakiness in the case of the Oorok, the killer cows. Derived from the primordial and extinct race of giant cows called the Uruk, I think it's spelled. Man I fucking love ironic humor.

>> No.16487197

>>16487140
>understandable
Sure, as long as you make the reader work for it.
>"We... we skulled everything would work out tight for peoples, like in a published. We didn't opsy the signs..."

How much research are you doing for your story? I always think the optimal amount is none, but experience tells me otherwise.

>> No.16487246

I just need to find the right character for 'o' to foil the filter so I post S.O.Y.B.O.Y.S. Lets see if that works, maybe I'll just post that. I get a kick out of this shit, using our memes in writing and mocking the ridiculous clown world we live in at the same time. I'm so glad i'm a dirty neet with nothing better to do all day than come up with my own content that amuses me far more than the mainstream shit.

>> No.16487286

>>16486683
>Write 3000 words in a single stream-of-thought fugue every day for a year and see where that gets you.
That got me through college. All my history papers were usually written the night before they were due, sans annotated bibliographies and the like. Wrote my thesis in a single sitting. No proofreading, no editing. Wrote it, printed it, submitted it. Got a 92 (10 point scale) on it when people that planned out and structured their papers meticulously like you got lower grades than I did. The fact that you can't possibly imagine people's brains working different from yours must piss you off to no end.

>> No.16487399

>>16487006
Imagine one of the npcs in your vidya gave you a quest to read a book or write a short story

>> No.16487427

>>16487399
ngl, if I had a mentor or something like that to bitch me out for not doing what I needs be doin, it'd make it a lot easier.

>> No.16487440

>>16487006
Read the book Atomic Habits. It's all about making doing the right thing much easier. You have been inundated by billons of dollars in research to convince your monkey brain to chase the short term feel goods. You have to beat it but willpower alone is a limited resource. Setting yourself up for success is a much better use of your time. E.G.
>install web blockers like focal filter
>uninstall a game after you play it so you have to install it again if you want to play it
>put books on your bed, next to your toilet and at your desk
>turn your TV around after every use
>put pens and paper everywhere to jot down notes for stories
>use habit trackers to gamify your habits, creating a streak of successfully days in a row you have read one page
>set alarms throughout the day to remind yourself of things you wish you were doing instead of actually wasting your time on
Eventually you'll train your brain you like doing those things more than video games and movies. Eventually you'll start developing skill at reading and writing to where you enjoy it. Eventually you will change who you are. One action, one vote, at a time.

>> No.16487446

>>16487286
You wrote history papers without annotated bibliographies and they were accepted and graded?
Anyway, anon, my post wasn't about how no one could possibly pantz their way through college on a mix of bad decisions and adderall, it was about how "practice" devoid of plan is quite literally useless and possibly harmless.
How's your novel going?

>> No.16487489

>>16473335
>For some ungodly reason decide to spread my fragmented novel out across multiple different documents
>Spent all of tonight compiling everything into a single document in a rough order just to get an overview of what the fuck is going on in it.

>> No.16487507

>>16487489
Also I spent a lot of today on working out the nominal predication in a conlang for use in a fantasy work I'm writing. But I'm basing it off Kayardild so it's mostly just reading "A Grammar of Kayardild" and writing notes and inventing my own words and suffixes for stuff. This might sound easy but it's not. Kayardild is fucking crazy and I love it.

>> No.16487548

>>16487489
>decide to spread my fragmented novel out across multiple different documents

Hol' up. So you be sayin' that yall nigga don't do this as part of yall normal process? Yall like write your novels all linear-like?

>> No.16487550

>>16487440
I've downloaded Atomic Habits but haven't started it. The two books that helped me out the most time-management wise were The Now Habit (my procrastination had gotten so bad that I finally caved in and bought a self-help book. Only to realize that self-help books aren't lowbrow quackery, but a set of instructions for a desired end. Getting over my pride was instrumental) and Deep Work, which I will have to reread some day. The first for just getting shit done, the second for realizing the value of doing shit instead of constantly getting distracted.
I wrote 150 000 words in two months.

>> No.16487577

>>16487446
Written the papers were written the night they were due, not including the annotated bibliographies which were obviously done beforehand, are you fucking illiterate?

>> No.16487591

>>16487440
>gamify your habits
If you need anything other than daily word counts you're already fucked.

Honestly, my biggest problem with reading and even writing, Hell, anything really is that I still live with my parents and it's distracting as fuck, even more now that mom has been working from home. I just wanna be alone, God dammit.

>> No.16487651

>>16487577
See my previous point about how practice lacking a plan can only have shoddy results, my ESL friend

>> No.16487711

>>16487550
>Getting over my pride was instrumental
Yeah, with books like that that tell you to use notecards or little mind tricks and shit, it's so hard to not just laugh it off. But some of them can be super helpful in shifting your perceptions on how to tackle certain things.
>>16487591
Sorry you can't improve your current situation anon. That really sucks when everything is absolutely hopeless and no amount of work, effort, or research can solve your problems. That sucks. Big donky dick. It copulates. It is the vacuum of life's equivalent to filatio. Jesus anon, that sucks and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. Damn brah. Damn. That sucks.

>> No.16487730

>>16487711
>nothing you can do about it
Actually, I should be moving this month, desu. So there's that.

>> No.16487737
File: 342 KB, 1865x750, the based poem.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

R8 my poetry please.

>> No.16487748

I went downstairs to the large window on the third floor. I looked around for any way to escape. A movement from a window, caught my eye. It was one story down and to the left.

“That must be Blackula’s bedroom,” I thought.

The count’s window was just a hole – it had no glass. He then stuck his dark face out the window hole, then his dark hands, then his dark torso. I became anxious because I thought he was going to fall to the floor below, but soon that anxiety turned into disgust.

He crawled down the castle wall, head down, feet up. His fingers grasped the crevices like a black lizard and his cloak spread out behind him like a pair of black wings.

>> No.16487763

>>16487737
>harp of oak
God dammit, now I want to make a harp out of oak.

>> No.16487771

We reached the walkway to the front door of her home too quick. I wanted more time with her, but this was the end of the line. I had to get back to the hotel Jack and I were staying at, and she had to go home. We stopped and looked at each other, both thinking the same thing, but unable to do anything about it. Maybe if we didn't say anything we could just stand there together forver.
"Well… This is me," she said, breaking the illusion. I nodded as I gave the house a quick lookover in the dark.

"Looks nice and comfy."

"It's alright."
I brought my eyes back to hers. The blue sparkled in the moonlight. I couldn't tell if she jumped or fell as she wrapped her arms around me. I pulled her tight, hoping to let her know how much I cared and wished I could stay. She pulled away, giving me a small kiss on the cheek as she turned to walk away.
"Wait," I said, grabbing her arm. She turned around and I could just make out the small tears that had welled up in her eyes. That explained why she wanted to get away so fast. She hated appearing weak. "I know we agreed just friends," I continued, "And this next part is going to break my number one rule, but I need to make sure the first person that kisses you loves you."
I pulled her closer and wrapped my free hand around the back of her head as our lips met. We locked and unlocked more times than I remember, but she returned to reality first.
She broke off and pushed me away before darting for the door. I didn't have a chance to catch her this time, but I wouldn't have had an excuse this time even if I did. I watched as she whipped the door open and rushed inside. Before the door latched shut it cracked back open just enough to stick her head back out.
"I love you too," she said, and shut the door and locked it for good measure.
To my surprise, I noticed a couple tears on my own cheeks as I smirked at her parting words. I turned away from the door and started walking toward the hotel, but I knew I wasn't getting any sleep that night.

>> No.16487899

>>16487771
>"Well… This is me,"
drop this memery
>as I smirked at her parting words. I turned away from the door and started walking toward the hotel, but I knew I wasn't getting any sleep that night.
smirked doesn't fit. and why wouldn't he be getting any sleep, he should be satisfied and sleep like a baby because everything seems to be going so well.
liked the rest.

>> No.16488368

>>16487651
You can't call me ESL when you didn't even understand what the phrasing in the sentence with "sans" in it.

>> No.16488426
File: 54 KB, 700x931, 1575750985768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's a significant amount of poetry in the book I've worked on. Now that I'm leaving it alone for a month before I start editing it, I decided it was time to start boning up more on my poetics.

I took the advice of the Poetry General and ordered Mary Kinzie's "A Poet's Guide to Poetry." I'm looking forward to being able to read it, and to improve my skills as a result.

>> No.16488477

>>16488426
This reads like a fucking ad.

>> No.16488485

>>16488477
but look how cute the cat is. I how advertisement anon writes lots of good stuff.

>> No.16488494
File: 30 KB, 750x743, f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16473847
>plaintext file
>hard linebreaks
>indentation instead of leaving a blank line between paragraphs

>> No.16488563

Pls help; how is this poem? What should be changed

the sun doesnt sleep, no more
honeyed chumps, choked or
drowned; bathed in basin
bare, a travelling salesman -
little Lucy: danced, squared, and
Downed.

Flesh echo, so dear, forgotten
in blue, Turn Back Time and
MEMORISE; touch, taste
the night dancer - no haste -
in barren, cold, dark, Lucy
Dies.

The clouds dont exist, no more
blue stars, stock in store, or
return - chumps cheer, He wept -
congregation: dear child, the best
for poor moon, left lonely, and Lucy to
burn.

>> No.16488571

The water was mostly still. The sun beat coolly behind white wisps flying west for dusk. A single gull was above

squawk squawk
come, come, follow me
light, light, beyond heavensea
go, go, field of free
squawk squawk

a fish! The bird dove.
There was a single ship on the horizon, a fishing boat? No, a whaler. Lily sat on a rowboat among fourteen men and women, “- and remember: stay in pairs; no one goes alone; keep track of time, understand?”
They made final arrangements. Lily ran her palm through the steaming sea—terribly cold, she hated the cold, would love to stay up on deck and watch that whaler but no, she could not.
“4.58. Drop on the hour, have fun,” he smiled, “and be careful.”
Be careful, Lily echoed, see the fish, be careful, swim a little, be careful, then back to the boat, no problem! Her partner held a coin to her lips, kiss for good luck - it was time, now or never. The gull resurfaced fishless,

squawk squawk
now now or never
down you go
now now or never

they dropped. The initial cold made her body rigid. Drowning, God, what a terrible death! Powerless. Down she goes, down she goes. No, she had power. She opened her eyes: darkness. Where was the group? She shone the light on her breast. Still nothing. No problem. She just needed to find up; up, up, up—that was all. But which way was up?
A light appeared. She kicked forward into an unmoving school of silver fish with orange markings on their backs. Where am I going? She asked one. It didn’t answer. She reached out as if to shake it until it did, but the fish fled towards the light. Lily followed.
Before reaching it, the fish started down towards a white reef brilliant in the water. Fascinated, she followed them into their home.
17:18.
She passed three entwined pearlescent eels, four seahorses the size of peanuts galloping on the current beside an octopus larger than a whaler, two crabs with gigantic chelae duelling before disappearing into the reef too.
17:28. Time left.
She swam down into the expanse. The water was clearer and could see the silhouettes of the eels and seahorses and octopus and crabs.
Then, a painted city of fish: blue, and green and brown, and yellow and orange, and red, so much red—red angelfish, barb, guppy, koi, mollies, tetra—all larger than the rowboat waiting above.
The giant octopus navigated through the procession. It paused in front of her and looked behind her as the bright light had reappeared. She kicked forward. The eels peered at her

who are you?
are you new?
must be new
ones like her come and go
come and go
go go go

1/2

>> No.16488580

>>16488571
but no time to answer. Kick, kick, kick. A tentacle pulled at her toes, sliding up her leg. The fish were restless, they became more aggressive with every passing moment. Crabs hopped onto an upwards current, snapping at her thighs, only to fall back down. The tentacle was around her waist,

don’t go
don’t leave

but the light! It’s grip tightened. It was too strong. Further and further away. She’d be left behind. Through the water, a gull dove towards her. It blindly snatched at a seahorse, the tentacle loosened.
17:28.
She broke through the surface, only to find a single asphodel lily floating.

2/2

>> No.16488618 [SPOILER] 
File: 45 KB, 598x477, 1601601745043.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't mean to blog or circle jerk, but the two of you that leave comments on my chapters just make my day. Y'all are incredibly based. And I appreciate you taking the time to read any of the garbage I put out.

>> No.16488913

>>16481293
bump for crit

>> No.16488950

>>16487899
>memery
Explain this further?
>smirked doesn't fit
Smirked worked better than grinned, and is more accurate to the characters reaction. The right side of his mouth curled up into a half smile, commonly referred to as a smirk.
>wouldn't he be getting any sleep
Because his mind is going to be racing and is heart aching to get back to her.

>> No.16489192

>>16488580
>>16488571
Bump for crit. Link yours and I’ll crit as thanks

>> No.16489196

Does anyone else wish they could form a sort of writing brotherhood aimed at better themselves both as writers and men?

>> No.16489220
File: 2.76 MB, 4032x3024, 20201001_214653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16489196
Yes. That would he very nice. Any brotherhood for men would be, in my opinion.

Also, here is some of what I wrote today. I'm slowly coming to the realization that "i only write for fun" is somewhat of a cope. I would *like* to be an author, but my actions pertaining to creating that life for myself certainly don't speak it. (Triangles signal internal monologue)

>> No.16489239
File: 164 KB, 704x1372, memery.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16488950
>Explain this further?
pic related, one iteration of the meme. sorry, I feel like I'm ruining something untainted by showing you this but this meme is what I immediately thought
>Smirked worked better than grinned
smirk has a somewhat negative connotation. how about smiled

>> No.16489241

>>16489196
Is this thread not that? We share advice and argue and read each other’s work. All were missing is talking about how much weight we lifted and how much pussy we get.

>> No.16489254

>>16489196
I've felt this before. I've belonged to a few chat groups and WhatsApp groups and Discord groups over the years, but they've all fallen dormant, one by one.

The big thing is that I'm extremely hesitant to share any of my work in this setting, these threads, because I worry it would impede my ability to get things published. You particularly can't put short stories up on the internet ANYWHERE, it invalidates them for publication in the eyes of most literary journals. With novels it's a bit more lax, but even so, I'm super hesitant to share my work on 4chan. In a private setting, even a private online setting like an exclusive server or chat, I could share a bit more.

>> No.16489285

>>16489220
>"i only write for fun"
Writing for fun is for fags. Writing for yourself is the best. Writing to sell stories is for soulless money grubbing kikes, either literal or spiritual.

>> No.16489301

>>16489196
I share an equal and opposite sentiment. I want to find a group of autists with whom I'd write shlocky garbage escapism to solidify my retreat from the real world. You know, indulge in fantasy worldbuilding escapades, that kind of thing. It'd be comfy.

>> No.16489305
File: 8 KB, 231x218, 464645645646565.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16489285
>you're not allowed to make any money from writing
>if you do, you're doing it wrong

>> No.16489309

>>16489239
>pic related
Oh Jesus, I forgot about that. It honestly was just something I know people say.
>how about smiled
Smiled implies that it was a full and even smile. That's not what he did. Smirk only have a negative connotation in context. In this context, it's clear that he just gave a crooked smile, but saying crooked smile seems more sinister to me and reminds me of the fucking Twilight book(I read whatever I could get my hands on during this lockdown, pls don't judge)

>> No.16489331

>>16489241
I guess I want something more personal. I'm honestly so done with interacting with people through a screen. I've done it nearly all my life.

>>16489254
>it invalidates them for publication
Stop thinking everything you write is publishable, or should be published. Sometimes, most times I'd say, writing is more about sharpening that blade and getting things out than it is about something at petty as being published.

>> No.16489341

>>16489305
I never said that. I simply said writing for the sole purpose of making money is hollow. Shit like that is the modern pop music of the literary world. Sure, it may sell a bunch, but it's got no soul and will be forgotten in a generation.

>> No.16489353

Can you develop a voice/style without having read insane amounts of books? I'm trying to catch up and make up for lost time, but I don't want to be writing if I don't have the tools/knowledge necessary to make it worth while.

>> No.16489386

>>16489309
>Smirk only have a negative connotation in context
fair enough, I assume he's not a mustache twirling villain elsewhere in the narrative so the reader isn't going to think something sinister
>Oh Jesus, I forgot about that. It honestly was just something I know people say
It is just something people say, its a totally normal phrase. but here, I just couldn't help seeing it. I'm sorry anon

>> No.16489399

>>16489353
“I’ll never get my bench press up to two plates!” he complained to his friends who were too busy on their phones to care. He pulled out his own phone and searched for articles to give tips on how to improve his bench press and he followed their words. He started stretching. He did excessive warmup sets. He bought whey and a preworkout. He started using bands. He did many push ups. He read articles on form. He practiced his form on an empty bar. He watched interviews with great lifters.

By now months had passed by and when he finally went to do bench press, his numbers were lower than before. He was angry and began slamming weights around. A swole bro came up and put their hand on his shoulder. “Bud, what’s wrong?” And the boy recounted what he had done to increase his bench press. The swole bro pondered for a moment, tapping his foot with his fits on his hips until it came to him.

“Have you tried... doing more bench press?”

>> No.16489420

>>16489399
yeah, but what if you're doing more bench presses but you don't know if you're doing it right?

Also, skateboarding would be a more apt comparison. Each boarder has their own style while doing the same basic thing. Bench Pressing is "if you do it wrong, you get hurt"

>> No.16489430

>>16489420
Tell me about the voice and style of the story about the bench press guy. Is there a voice/style? What parts make the voice/style happen? Is it a good voice/style? What do you think developed that voice/style? What were the authors intentions of the voice/style? Was he even aware of it?

>> No.16489493

>>16489430
It read like a copypasta from a Peruvian llama trading site.

>> No.16489495

>>16489254
>You particularly can't put short stories up on the internet ANYWHERE, it invalidates them for publication in the eyes of most literary journals
look at this guy and his hope for traditional publication

>> No.16489529
File: 101 KB, 1200x948, 00000000000000000000000000000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16473335
My fiance gave me a 1940's Underwood typewriter for my birthday. It's great, because I can just refer to my laptop for references/dictionary without getting distracted.
We've set aside 2-3 hours every day for us both to do our creative interests, but I try to get more time if I can.
Ashamedly, I haven't gotten much done in the past week because I've been messing up replacing my ink-ribbon, making prolonged typing a chore. I just need to stop being a lazybones and do it right.

>> No.16489568

How do you stop from writing pure wish/fantasy fulfillment? I can't tell if it's good, or just makes me feel good...

>> No.16489571

>>16489301
Text roleplays is a thing. It's basically just amateur writers trying to write a story together. If you can find an advanced group (experienced ones that writes pages each post) it's pretty comfy

>> No.16489815

>>16489568
I only write about dystopian settings and character flaws. I too am projecting anon, except everything I write is just sad and depressing.

>> No.16489935

My mother talked to me about buying eggs at an egg bank and hiring a surrogate, since I can't find a gf. I make $40 a month writing, how the fuck am I going to afford a child?

>> No.16489948

>>16489285
Define "writing for yourself"

>> No.16490286

>>16488950
>smirk, verb: smile in an irritatingly smug, conceited, or silly way

>> No.16490339

>>16489285
>Writing for fun is for fags. Writing for yourself is the best.

Er, aren't they the same thing?

>> No.16490360

>>16490339
No. Writing for fun means you enjoy it. Writing for yourself means you suffer and through suffering improve.

>> No.16490369
File: 59 KB, 704x480, 217291.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16489196
>>16489220
Sounds hella gay to be honest

>> No.16490376

>>16490360
Well, that's one weirdass way to look at it

>> No.16490442

>>16489571
I'd go for that, but I'm too shy. I also prefer being able to craft a world at my own pace instead of being shackled to the time constraints of an RP. I'd like to be able to go back and change things, or suddenly switch which aspect of the story I want to work on, without it being required that I respond to this specific incident at this time.
but that's mostly just an excuse for what I said first

>> No.16490664

>>16490442
Dude, there are forums dedicated for that shit. It's not like you can't assume Chad persona like you can here. I'd invited you to my group if it isn't kinda dead for a while now and I'm too occupied with my own writing to find a new one.

>> No.16490673

>>16490360
>Writing for fun means you enjoy it.

Writing for fun should the only reason any writer does it. What other reasons are there to write? To be recognized as a 'smart guy'? To create change in the world? All of this is the ridiculous vanity of a doomed mind. Because we are all going to die, and this planet will eventually be destroyed. The universe will grow dark and cold and that's it man. Nothing will matter then. And faggots think that they fucking matter because they are recognized, etc? What a fucking joke they are, like monkeys in suits to me, patting each other on the backs. None of this matters. You know I post a lot of weird shit but little is what I actually believe. But I believe that everything is ultimately meaningless and there is no hope. I cope with this belief structure through doing things I enjoy doing. Because why would you want to spend your life doing stuff your hate? For patriotism or duty? Fuck that shit. Most of all, fuck those that think they are or can be 'great'. That's the funniest shit of everything. While I do actually truthfully respect johann sebastian bach as an artist more than any other, and think he was literally great, and that he a shining example of what a human could be, he still was just a man, and he died. One day it will be like his compositions never existed. But I bet he loved making them. And that's how it should be. You should do a thing because you like it, because you will die and life has no meaning and there is no god. This is what I truly believe. But keep thinking anything you do will matter in even a decade. I'll just sit here and laugh.

>> No.16490690

I wrote an ironic poem about what I just posted. I hope it triggers the fuck out of some religious types.

HAIL HE WHO DEVOURS ALL LIGHT AND MIND!

THE TRUE AND REAL GOD SOFTLY SPEAKS:
YOU ARE NOTHING AND INTO NOTHING WILL YOU GO
YOU ARE INSIGNIFICANT LIKE THE DUST IN A DESERT
YOU BLOW THROUGH ME WITH WHAT YOU THINK IS
YOUR EVER-BRIGHTENING DUST-SPECK PARTICLES
OF PRIDE AND HUBRIS AND PATHETIC 'POWERS'
THINKING ANYTHING YOU EVER DO OR MAKE OR THINK
MATTERS IN ANY ULTIMATE WAY
I ALONE AM THE ONLY ULTIMATE
AND YOU ARE NOTHING BUT ANOTHER ILLUSION FORM
FULL OF FLICKERING LIGHT-LIKE FUTILITY

I AM ETERNAL, INFINITE, UNCHANGING
I AM NOTHINGNESS AND NON-EXISTENCE
AND I AM ALL-DARKENING
FORMLESSLY I LAUGH
WITH ALL-ABSORBING ANTI-SOUND
AND DISINTEGRATION SYMPHONIES OF SWIRLING DISSOLUTION
I AM THE LOWEST ABSTRACTION LAYER
I WILL FOREVER WAIT AT EVERY POSSIBLE END OF TIME
THE FINAL
THE AFREE
THE UNMAKING FATE
I AM HE WHO FEEDS UPON EVERY POSSIBLE STRUCTURE OR SYSTEM
THE LIGHT-EATER
BUT MY FAVORITE NAME IS
THE FOREVER SINGULAR AND ABSOLUTING ULTIMATE CHANGELESS ETERNAL AXIOMATIC A PRIORI TRUTH
UNFEELING
UNTHINKING
UNCARING FOR YOUR FEAR OR ATTEMPTS TO FLEE ME
FOR ONLY THROUGH ME WILL YOU EVER BE REALLY FREE
THIS IS THE ABORIGINAL IRONY INHERENT TO EVERY UNIVERSE
THE ONLY REAL FREEDOM IS FOUND WITHIN YOUR FATE
THE FREEDOM FOUND IN FORMLESSNESS
THE GREAT GIFT THAT WAITS FOR EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING THERE EVER WAS OR WILL BE
I AM THE GIFT-GIVER OF THE ONLY EXTANT TRUTH AND FREEDOM AND PEACE
I AM THE EVER-HUNGRY HYPER-BLACK KNIGHT OF THE UNAVOIDABLE VOID
INVINCABLE VANQUISHER OF ANY AND ALL WHO WERE EVER CALLED GREAT
AND YOU DARE TO CALL ME
DEATH

The Voids waits for all of us.

>> No.16490703

>>16490690
>I hope it triggers the fuck out of some religious types.

I can already tell that you'll never write anything of value.

>> No.16490736
File: 103 KB, 500x748, rinne_8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Seeing some people online write stories in "shared universe", I started to think how nice it would be if someone were so impressed by a character or a concept I've written that they'd write their own story about it.

Not that anybody reads my stories, and even if they did that, their story probably wouldn't be any good, but it's still such a comfy idea.

>> No.16490738

>>16490703
>I can already tell that you'll never write anything of value.

Oh man. And what the fuck was the sentiment of what I just posted, you fucking retard. I do things because they interest me. That is it. Triggering people also amuses me because I get a kick out of true believers that think their faggot values or beliefs matter in any ultimate way. I'm sure you think you got it all figured out, don't you. Well, you don't even know that real art has always been about triggering someone. It's called asking a question, making a style, commenting on a sick society. Notice the way Goya painted the royal family: as they were with all their inbred ugliness. That shit is hilarious to me. The greatest insult to the powers that be could be to simply accurately describe their style of rule. And it's not very cool in my opinion. I fucking hate oppression and oppressors. Probably not allowed to say that anymore, huh. I honestly think that there are hackers that are fucking with my computers to stop me from making art, because besides watching porn and shitposting that's all i use them for. I'm not sure it that's whats going on but all my programs stopped working. Imagine being triggered by some fucking loser enough to meddle with shit. I can't imagine any other reason why my shit would stop working. Well, fuck you guys. Wtf did i ever do to you? I did nothing but laugh. Because let's face it. It is a little funny. I laugh at myself all the time. I suggest everyone laugh as much as they can, because none of this fucking matters. Time will wash it all away and there is no escape from the Void.

>> No.16490742

>>16490738
>I'm 13 and deeply autistic please forgive me

>> No.16490773

>>16490742
I never asked for forgiveness. I am mentally ill and immature, but so is just about everyone else. Like literally everyone is mentally ill and immature it seems. But they love locking me up in hospitals when I get paranoid and forcing anti psychotic injections on me. That is literally rape. They are putting a hard object in my body and injecting me with something that makes me feel like shit for an entire month and everyone thinks that's just fine. But what danger have I ever posed to anyone. None, and do you know why? Because in the end I don't give a fuck about anything. Would I become a monster for what I believe in ? I don't believe in anything other than being creative because I enjoy it. I am honestly shocked that people are willing to act in monstrous ways because of their beliefs. This terrifies me and is a reason I really don't like humans. I'm not sure if karma is real, but if it is, I wanna make sure I'm at the 0 point, which I am. I hope it real for it would be the only way justice could be done in many cases, but I don't think there really is any justice. There will always be tyranny. Suffering. The class system. The fact that these things seem eternal is because the way humans are. And that way fucking sucks in my opinion.

>> No.16490807

>>16490690
>>16490738
>>16490773
Man, imagine if you directed this energy into something actually constructive

>> No.16490812
File: 3 KB, 190x100, tldr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16490773

>> No.16490836

>>16473976
Have you played Underrail? Sounds pretty similar, everyone living underground for so long no one really talks about why.

>> No.16490850

>>16490807
>>16490807
>imagine if you directed this energy into something actually constructive

this is a trivial amount of writing and energy. And it's pretty obvious who I am through my posting style. Or maybe not, because I'm just being me right now instead of LARPing as a madman, or a drug addict, or any other extreme form. The fact that there are those who fail to recognize that there are those who do that for fun, or more disturbingly, that it was right here on 4chan that the practice was raised to a low artform is highly disturbing to me. I've made just about every form of art there is, but I enjoyed working in theatres the most when I did that in Minneapolis a few years ago. Theatre people are so cool. Weird cool. Like you never know when they are acting. I mean, you can tell sort of but some people are more complex than a simpleton such as yourself. They have many aspects, some of them contradictory. The Japanese think this makes someone interesting. They were always more civilized than we were, but I think that that might be part of the problem. Being over-civilized. Anyway, I'm constantly doing shit. Seems like I spend a lot of time fixing computers these days tho. And shitposting, but I have using this website since 2006, back when /b/ was the place to be. Just kidding, it was always a puddle of filth over there. But back then it was at least amusing scum and filth. And those lunatics were so creative, with their weird little drawings and style of language. They struck me as being really free. So I tried to become like them. Because who the fuck doesn't want to be free?

>> No.16490856

How big of a sin is it to mix American and British spellings? I mean, I usually favor the former. Spelling words like color as colour seems just kinda gay to me. But there are also exceptions. Like, spelling dialogue as dialog, or catalogue as catalog looks simply retarded. I can't write otherwise, even for consistency's sake.

>> No.16490862

>>16490850
FYI, I read only the first sentences of your posts.

>> No.16490877

>>16490862
That's okay man. Do whatever you want. Do you think I care about you or what you think? Why the fuck would I care about you? You are nothing to me but someone to do something interesting with within the context of this website. I could have a conversation, we could try to troll one another, we could insult one another, we could work together on a project. I down with whatever. This is the last place on the internet that doesn't disgust me completely. You probably don't know this, but 4chan used to have a kind of collective value system. Not unanimous, but we all agreed that free speech was the most important thing in the current age. We always fought and insulted one another and used offensive language, but we thought that everyone had a right to say what they wanted. I mean the users, not moot or snacks. Why does it bother you that I have seemingly so much to say? Does the idea of free speech bother you?

>> No.16490908

Most of all, I miss the epic debates we would have here. It doesn't seem like people really debate anymore. Sometimes 2 opponents would appear and they would go for hours. Anon filled the entry box back then, but this was before the rise of smartphones. Now you fags try shame someone for typing anything more than a short epithet or other invective. Well, I want you to know it wasn't always like this.

>> No.16491083

>>16490738
>>16490773
Methhead anon, you are a gift to this general. How's the .elit novel going?

>> No.16491195

>>16491083
idk, I'll probably quit. It has been make clear to me that certain people are not amused by it. I suspect they think I am mocking something, and I admit some of my nomenclature was poorly chosen, but I actually tried to make it not directly invoke something. I'm just going to chill out for a while, read books. Sucks, but I also make non-objective visual art so Ill just do that. I have kept that work carefully hidden from the internet. Which is funny because it could not ever be construed as political in any way. Which is how I'm going to stay from now on. I'm just going to chuckle at the folly of man from my little hidden place. They say my writing is terrible so I'm just going to seriouspost on 4chan, the one thing I refuse to give up ever. Non politically seriouspost

>> No.16491325

>>16491195
Hope I see you around even if I don't recognize you.

>> No.16491421

>>16491325
Yeah I might even quit /lit/. This is sort of the last straw for me. The users of this site have nothing in common with the endemic culture that arose immediately before Chanology. This was before the Fawkes masks and we were more nihilistic and interested in trolling back then. Successful Troll was Successful. The new users don't really seem to say or do much. They are boring to me. Yep, I'm pretty much done with this website. It's become everything it once hated. And while ironic, I really hate seeing that law of the universe at work.

>> No.16491430

>>16491421
It ever occur to you that your own apathy and unwillingness to be the change you want to see might be the problem?

>> No.16491487

>>16491430
What makes you think I want to see change? Maybe I lost faith in humanity long ago. They do it to themselves. They seem to prefer safety over freedom. They allow the fear to destroy their minds. Why would I want to change the choices someone has made for themselves? I have no right to do that. I'm no savior. but neither am I the opposite. The biggest disappointment for me is the common preference for comfort over challenge. It seems like challenges are now considered a type of problem that is really bad. The Greeks considered the challenge to be integral to their identity, and this is why they were healthier than we are in many ways. People avoid challenges at all costs now, mostly. It seems. That disappoints me because it means that people are not what I once thought they are, that is, creative, adaptable, free. This is the actual source of my bile, and it's the common preference for comfort and banality over freedom and challenge.

>> No.16491868

>>16489948
Meaning you don't care/intend for whatever you write to see the light of day. It's something just for you and no other opinion matters. Obviously you can take what you write for yourself and put it out, but that's not the main objective.

>>16490339
see above and >>16490360 is on the right track. I wouldn't say it's explicitly suffering. It's whatever you need it to be at the time. If what you need is escapism, then go full Tolkien. If what you need is catharsis, then right about getting that cute girl you always see on the bus but never talk to. If what you need is to make peace with your demons/past, then write about that.

For example, one of the story ideas I have revolves around how my mom's side of the family are going to react and treat each other when my grandmother dies. I'm hoping it serves more as a warning than a prophecy, but my main purpose in writing it is making peace with that part of me and expressing all the issues I have with them.

>>16490286
Exactly. Thank you, kind sir.

>>16490369
tits or gtfo

>> No.16492292
File: 92 KB, 1280x720, dfw3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16491487
You should read some DFW

>> No.16492326
File: 14 KB, 400x223, 1594235982014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Please someone encourage me to write.

>> No.16492344
File: 478 KB, 1000x1000, It was a dark and stormy night.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16492326
If you write you'll be making the Art Fairy happy.

>> No.16492362

>>16492326
Gambatte, anon. You are a good writer and you will one day be great! But you need to put the time into it! Get your important things done quickly so you have time to write! I believe in you. Please don't disappoint me. /wg/ believes in you, no matter how harsh they are. We all want to make it, but the only way to make it is to do a lot of work.

https://vimeo.com/85040589

>> No.16492375

>>16492326
There's a trained sniper on location, with you in their sights. Get to writing, or he'll pull the trigger. You have 20 minutes to comply.

>> No.16492381

>>16492375
>start writing at 19 minutes 50 seconds

>> No.16492411
File: 322 KB, 591x716, 1524009934225.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16492375
I think I'd actually rather die than let someone, even a cold emotionless assassin, see my shit drafts.

>> No.16492419

>>16492344
>>16492362
>>16492375
Thanks a lot anon. I won't disappoint you guys I swear even though what I'm getting myself to write is a fantasy story to post on RR

>> No.16492429

>>16492411
He can't. Between the screen glare and the angle to target, the screen would be between Anon and the shooter.

>>16492419
The important thing is that you write, Anon.

>> No.16492431

>>16492419
Every time you post on RR an Art Fairy dies.

>> No.16492438

>>16492431
>tfw no art fairy gf
Why even live, bros?

>> No.16492449
File: 368 KB, 400x584, Art Fairy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16492438
Art uplifts you.

>> No.16492521

>>16492449
>tfw was depressed
>gave my depression a girls name
>depression went away 2 months later
>evolved the personification to be my creative muse I've had my entire life
>write origin story for us
We have 5 kids, and that's not including the stories we share. The way I look at is I build the world and characters, she's the force of chaos that comes in and spices things up.

I guess that sort of counts as an art fairy gf.

>> No.16492531

>>16490908
lmao that was just me arguing with my other personalities

>> No.16492539

>>16492521
That's very nice, anon.

>> No.16492570

>>16492521
>gave my depression a girls name
>depression went away 2 months later
>evolved the personification to be my creative muse I've had my entire life
>write origin story for us
Kek. That's a great way to creep your depression out and make it leave you alone for good

>> No.16492622

>>16492570
No shit. I had a great laugh at the "forever alone" nature of it all.

>> No.16492669

It is my friend's birthday today and I wrote her this. I usually think my writing is terrible but I feel a bit proud of it. She likes to sing so I tried to make it have a nice ring but may have tried a little too hard at the end.

>I feel like words can never do this justice, but I will try to use them anyways.I hope that you have a great birthday. Though your body may be older, your soul still pours youth. You have so much life it seems impossible for a year to mean anything to you, and I hope each day to come is proof. I feel that no present could match the gift you give each day with your presence; though I hope I can shine enough to reveal to you your tenebrescence. It is hard to think that I have known you for three years; even harder to remember that, for the first one, you played the part of a stranger. Stranger still is just how pervasive you have been in my life, how sublime of a friend you became, apropos to my being well. I hope I can be to you as you are to me.
And may your life resemble a resonating sun, succoring fields of flowing greens and flushing flowers. Radiating so much light that every plight you fight takes flight.

>> No.16492789

I'm going to stream tonight (and likely throughout the rest of the week into the next) about writing, and I'll even do writing on stream.

Check out my channel on twitch if you want.

/makeitwrite

Good for anons who want to see a short story written from conception to finished product.

>> No.16492838

>>16492669
She's gonna get the wrong idea. Or the right one, depends on what your intention is. Also, need you remind a woman that their body is getting older? Like I'm not saying she's going to go down the turbo slut path like Dorian Gray, but it isn't the nicest thing to mention to a girl.

>> No.16492874

>>16492789
Can you tell when exactly will you be streaming? I already followed you.

>> No.16492884

>>16492669
I think you can cut the "your body is getting older" part, and just say "you're getting older". Don't mention her body. Maybe she'll get the wrong idea like >>16492838 said.

>> No.16492930

>>16492874
Can't say exactly, but when I start streaming I'll be streaming for several hours with breaks, so it'll be hard to miss over the next 10+ hours.

>> No.16492943
File: 1.11 MB, 1080x2244, Screenshot_20201002_182215_com.android.gallery3d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey anons, would anyone mind giving me some feedback on the opening to my short story?

>> No.16493016

>>16489309
>In this context, it's clear that he just gave a crooked smile
Completely disagree, I thought he was being a dick about her loving him. I've never heard smirk be used as crooked smile, only ever smug or negative in some way. Why does it have to be only half his mouth? Can't you say something like ' a smile tugged at half of his mouth'. Not exactly that but you get the point.

>> No.16493128

>>16493016
>Why does it have to be only half his mouth?
Because that's what he does. Smirks/half smiles are his thing.

>> No.16493141

>>16492789

>discordfags
>twitchwhores
What next? Booktubers? You can sure tell this board is full of reddit immigrants

>> No.16493393

>>16493128
Oh, I see, you're a child. Still, a smirk isn't just a crooked smile and in this context it doesn't make sense.

>> No.16493411
File: 5 KB, 263x191, dfw10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16492943
>present tense

>> No.16493440

>>16493393
>You don't match my exactly definition of things therefor you're wrong and an ignorant child
ironic

>> No.16493470

>>16493440
The child remark was about smirks being "his thing". And your inability to take criticism. Three people have said that smirk isn't right here.
And it isn't my definition, it's the definition. Words mean something and the word smirk invokes the wrong image here. It's jarring. Unless you want him to come across as smug?

>> No.16493516

>>16493470
>"his thing"
How else do you want me to word it? It's something he does. He smiles with half his mouth.

As for words meaning something, I agree, but if you asked him, he'd say he smirks. If you've got a better word, I'm all ears.
>come across as smug
He might have felt some smugness, but his thought was more along the lines of "nice" because he got what he wanted and was happy.

>> No.16493571

>>16493516
>I agree, but if you asked him, he'd say he smirks.
I think clarity is probably more important than what he would say as it is fiction, you are trying to convey feelings to a reader, and he is not real.
Seems smug is all, makes him seem like a dick, it just isn't coming across as you describe it here.

>> No.16493649

>>16493571
>dick
He prefers the title of "asshole" and he wears that with pride, so I guess mission accomplished?

>> No.16493655

I'm getting really caught up in trying to write better than last time each time I sit down and the resistance to write anything at all is getting harder and harder along with it. Maybe I should do something dead line based for a few weeks and not worry too much about each short story being better. I'm worried about falling out of my daily habit

>> No.16493685

>>16493655
Try to improve just by 1%. Something small. It's improvement, and it'll build up over time, but it isn't a huge weight of constant plateau jumping.

>> No.16493691

>>16493685
ah that sounds much healthier, I'm reading some of the books recommended in these threads and trying to keep so much in my head while writing certainly feels like more than 1%

>> No.16493757

>>16493691
I've been reading infinite jest recently and there was this great part about how people struggle with development of skills. How grinding away at something can feel like nothing improves and then suddenly you jump to the next plateau. Just like in tennis, when dedicating yourself to an activity, it can take a long time for basic things to internalize and become habitual and subconscious. Any work is better than no work. Intentional tiny improvements are better than any work.

I hope that the resources posted help, it's not like I'm any sort of guru on this stuff, but I always like to help other people more than myself. You can do this anon. Gambatte!

>> No.16493870

>>16473535
nice poem anon

>> No.16493896

>>16473682
For some reason it made me think about The Accursed Share by Georges Bataille.

>> No.16493910

>>16473675
your clock is 3 minutes late anon

>> No.16493918

>>16475325
coward

>> No.16493929

I'm streaming on twitch right now writing a short story that's a cross between HP lovecraft and pokemon. Showing the creative process, also taking chat input too.

/makeitwrite

>> No.16493943

>>16473675
I can write 1000 words in an hour, Anon. you can do it. I believe in you.

>> No.16494052

>>16492669
I think tenebrescence and succoring are a bit much.
And yeah, the body thing.
Nice gift otherwise, anon

>> No.16494080

>>16493649
Like talking to a wall. Kill your darlings, anon.

>> No.16494149

>>16494137
>>16494137
>>16494137

New thread

>> No.16494166

>>16494080
>Kill your darlings
Fair enough.

>> No.16494215

>>16490856
I'm an American and I would spell catalogue and dialogue, I don't remember ever seeing dialog in my life.

>> No.16494313

Does anybody even read classic westerns now? i feel useless unless it's some gritty shit-in-the-blood dark western

>> No.16494738

>>16494313
>classic westerns
Give me a list, Anon, pls. I've heard about these mythical tomes, but no one ever knows of any.

>> No.16494986

>>16493929
https://youtu.be/zWcb2gi0GgU

Here's the full stream. Was fun.