[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 178 KB, 818x347, Wolfe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1646694 No.1646694 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I just finished this series and was wondering if there were any recommendations of things along this line. I have never enjoyed a series of books as much and I'm not quite sure where to go after this.

>> No.1646729

No? bumpin....

>> No.1646736

Well, what did you like about it? Unless you tell us what you liked about a diverse novel (not series) all I can really say is "The Castle of the Otter" (about the Book) and "The Urth of the New Sun" (its sequel.)

>> No.1646874
File: 59 KB, 240x180, genewolfe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gene Wolfe thread? Awesome.

I'm currently about halfway through Lake of the Long Sun, the 2nd part of Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun, and from what I've read so far I'm going to highly recommend it to you, OP. I actually like it better than New Sun, which is saying something. It also has some connections to New Sun (I'm told these become clearer in The Book of the Short Sun, the direct sequel to Long Sun), so that might help your enjoyment of it if you really liked New Sun.

Of course, like >>1646736 said, it depends on what you like about it. If you like Wolfe's trickery (that wonderfully unreliable narrator Severian, for instance), pretty much anything by him has similar elements, including his short fiction. Speaking of his short fiction, I highly recommend The Best of Gene Wolfe - some really great stories in there. If you like that, you can track down some of his various other short story collections.

Seriously, just read anything by the man. He's remarkably consistent in quality but there's a large amount of variation in his stories, whether in story or narrative style (compare New Sun's verbose Severian narration to Long Sun's more easily read - but still incredibly well-written - 3rd person, among other examples).

>> No.1648128
File: 20 KB, 392x358, BluewolfBump.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wolfe bump