[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 295x475, 902417-L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1643688 No.1643688 [Reply] [Original]

Longest book I`ve ever read, and I read the abridged version. I never see much love for non-fiction books here, so let`s discuss them.

I thought Gibbon`s book was excellent. Despite the prose and theories being slightly out of date, he`s just such a good story teller that it doesn`t matter.

The abridgement I read was by Hans-Friedrich Mueller, and most of the stuff cut was apparently detailed military campaigns, geographical surveys, family trees, etc. I don`t think I missed too much.

ITT: Non-Fiction.

>> No.1643720
File: 256 KB, 414x700, Milton Glaser Shakespeare cover_Julius Caesar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Suetonius (2nd c. AD) is my favorite non-fiction writer of Roman history; his "Twelve Caesars", on the histories of Julius Caesar up to Domitian, are absolutely fascinating.

It's broken up into key points, including everything from laws imposed to "Sexual Vices" (Claudius marries his niece! Tiberius trains kids to suck him off in the pool!). Best of all, it cites sources that no longer exist. Incredibly interesting, and at points reads like a 2nd century gossip magazine.

Pic unrelated, I just love the art.

>> No.1643745
File: 63 KB, 371x475, cosmos_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is one of my favorite books. It follows the show pretty closely, but it goes more in-depth on things, and it`s eloquently written as well.

It covers the scientific tradition that developed (and was subsequently extingueshed) in ancient Egypt and Greece, and asks some pretty good what-ifs. Stupid dark ages. Anyway, get the hardcover edition will full colour pictures if you can.