[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 560x248, How-to-Write-Poetry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1638815 No.1638815 [Reply] [Original]

I never understood poetry. just now I felt compelled to write something. I am here to find out if there's a chance I may not be an absolute faggot. this is it:

I make people hate me
not surprising since,
me, I do it myself.
I envision my destruction,
as sweet as strawberry pie.
and who doesnt enjoy
a delicious treat,
every once in a while?
breaking things brings
many an immediate pleasure,
breaking people though
bitter but lasting joy.
people really hate me,
how could they not?

thanks for not banning me.

>> No.1638836

It looks like you wrote this in about 2 minutes.

Also, it's prose just broken up.

You know, like
This. You broke up sentences
And thought
That
You
Were writing
Poetry.

>> No.1638843

i like the strawberry pie simile strawberry pie is one of the best pies not #1 but right up there

>> No.1638849

>>1638843

i like the
strawberry pie
simile
strawberry pie is
one of
the best
pies
not #1 but
right
up there

Hey, this poetry writing is damn easy! I should be a poet.

>> No.1638850

>>1638836
I sent this to Philip Larkin's ghost via gmail.

His reply
>lol.

>> No.1638857

>Listen up, kid, that's not how you do poetry!

>Here's how you do poetry!

If only /lit/ knew the latter

>> No.1638860

OP, if you want to get better, just read a lot of poetry and remember that poetry is about precision. Don't just throw things in there randomly, think of the phrase that best and most originally describes what you want to say.

But mostly read a shit-ton of poetry.

>>1638850

Don't you mean WCW? Larkin was actually good.

>> No.1638861

haha, I was sure I had no idea what was I doing, this makes me feel at ease. thanks anonymous.

>> No.1638863

all your poems suck.

>> No.1638869

heres a poem i wrote

Why they hating on the pimp? Faking on their strength
I'm debating against assassination attempts
Perry Mason on the bench, Satan on defense
Freedom is a myth, Sarah Palin is a witch
Six six six, Dick Cheney is a bitch
Four heart attacks, hope he die on the fifth
Five heartbeats, Eddie K was shit and uh
Nights like this, I wish
Raindrops would fall, napalm and all
Grab your bow ties and bean pies, it's the final call
The Vatican got us by the balls
One nation under God, united we all fall
They don't like me, they pussy, they going smalls
Senators playing footsie in airport stalls

>> No.1638890

>>1638860
Some of his poems were excellent... "Toads" for example.

But even though some of his run on sentences could be analyzed with acute "precision", as you put it, but I just feel it's only there to remind us that he's conscious of what he's writing and too distant from his work to include anything personal.

He was a grumpy bastard, after all. Why would he want to share something as private as his feelings to a bunch of strangers?

>> No.1638898

>>1638890
>But even though some of his run on sentences could be analyzed with acute "precision", as you put it, but I just feel it's only there to remind us that he's conscious of what he's writing and too distant from his work to include anything personal.

that is dumb. larkin uses enjambment because that's his style: he's proper and conversational. a lot of the impact of his style is derived from that tone. it may be self-consciously literary to some degree but i don't think it's a pose. i mean, it's still deeply personal. and he uses common language to achieve that.

>> No.1638915

I will probably never attempt writing again, but can you direct me to a place where I can learn how to understand (and maybe enjoy) poetry? I'm curious now.

>> No.1638955

>>1638890

I guess "impersonal" is probably a valid criticism of Larkin; I never really thought that about him, but it may be true. My original point, though, was that WCW used line breaks to make boring shit seem profound, whereas Larkin (AFAIK) didn't.