[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 417 KB, 1369x1897, Wilhelm Richard Wagner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16374742 No.16374742 [Reply] [Original]

I remember Bryan Magee saying:

>Each of Shakespeare's characters is a unique being in a way that is ultimate to his or her existence. [...] but what comes across in his plays is a view of character as if he were an immortal soul, that is to say as if his existence were ultimately independent of the existence of this world: other people, society, the universe itself - all these could vanish and yet what is essential to the being of that character would remain. Furthermore, Shakespeare had a genius that no one else has equalled for understanding and being able to put into words how everything looks, and is understood and felt, from that one, incomparable standpoint. In his presentation of the human individual there are no generlizations: everything about everyone is specific and unique. This being so, in his creations of his characters he comes as close to being effaced as it is possible for such a great author to be. The ultiateness of each and every one of them in the fullness of his or her irreplaceable being leaves no room for an authorial presence, no space for it to occupy. The character appears not as a dummy sitting on the knee of a ventriloquist who is the real character, the one doing all the talking, but a fully created and achieved human being who needs no one else to give him a mind and a soul. One could say that Wagner's view of character is the polar opposite of this. He sees what is ultimate in character as being something universal. For this reason he chose to base most of his mature works on myths or legends, because they possessed this quality of universality. In Greek mythology, for instance, although the gofd are not only people with individual personalities but have all sorts of quirks, and many such quirks, they have always been (correctly) understood as embodying the universal truths about human beings. Wagner's characters are of this kind, although he takes them mostly from the medieval myths and legends of Northern Europe, or creates them to inhabit such a world. They are universally recognisable as individuals in the same sort of way as the well known inhabitants of Olympus are - or the much loved knights of Arthurian legend.

Though I disagree with much of the exactness of what he says, the point stays. From it we can see the tapestry of leitmotifs of the world, the myth, interacting. And kindled together toward a definitive story and end of the drama, this in itself, the whole story intersects the standing themes themselves. It is a whole combustion of a madman! Someone who set impossible standards upon himself and somehow achieved them. It makes no sense except in theory. Why didn't /lit/ tell me about Wagner sooner?

>> No.16374743

>>16374742
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5zNH6R1zsE [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed]

>11:00 is when the redemption leitmotif starts to build up
But I advise you to listen to the whole thing first, here's the first instance from the leitmotif in "Die Walkure" after Brunhilde saves the child of Sieglinde, Siegfried, "O highest of wonders! Noblest of maids!":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2tq8fFDVys [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed]

>> No.16374803
File: 128 KB, 900x572, Wagner dream.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.16374897

>>16374743
>[Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed] [Embed]

>> No.16374906

>>16374897
Is there a problem?

>> No.16374947

>>16374742
I would dispute the "uniqueness" of Shakespearean characters. Seems more like both were concerned with the portrayals of the universals, though Shakespeare took pains to veil them in the specific persons and circumstances whereas Wagner gives you the the fabric of the world, bare and unveiled. Nevertheless, based thread. Which one of Magee's works is it?

>> No.16375002

>>16374742
Wagnerfags are truly the most obnoxious of specimens.

>> No.16375031

>>16374947
>whereas Wagner gives you the the fabric of the world, bare and unveiled.

he has a very good article "Religion and Art"
very profound theology

"in the Christian religion I find an intrinsic disposition to the Highest and the Noblest, and its various manifestations in life appear to me so vapid and repugnant simply because they have missed expression of that Highest."

http://users.skynet.be/johndeere/wlpdf/wlpr0126.pdf
http://users.belgacom.net/wagnerlibrary/prose/wlpr0126.htm

>Belief devised the necessary miracle of the Saviour's birth by a Mother who, [218] not herself a goddess, became divine through her virginal conception of a son without human contact, against the laws of Nature. A thought of infinite depth, expressed in form of miracle. In the history of Christianity we certainly meet repeated instances of miraculous powers conferred by pure virginity, where a metaphysical concurs very well with a physiologic explanation, in the sense of a causa finalis with a causa efficiens; but the mystery of motherhood without natural fecundation can only be traced to the greater miracle, the birth of the God himself: for in this the Denial-of-the-world is revealed by a life pre-figuratively offered up for its redemption. (3) As the Saviour himself was recognised as sinless, nay, incapable of sin, it followed that in him the Will must have been completely broken ere ever he was born, so that he could no more suffer, but only feel for others' sufferings; and the root hereof was necessarily to be found in a birth that issued, not from the Will-to-live, but from the Will-to-redeem. But this mystery that seemed so plain to the illuminate, was exposed to the most glaring misinterpretations on the part of popular realism when demanded as an article of faith; the " immaculate conception by the Virgin Mary might be phrased indeed, but never thought, still less imagined.

>> No.16375139

>>16375031
Hey again anon, was wondering which work do you think was the most intellectually unique or original in the frame of Wagner's beliefs, Religion and Art, or Hero-dom and Christendom?

>> No.16375171

>>16375139
Not him, though I'd argue Religion and Art is really groundbreaking, if anything just for its prefiguring of the Jungian conception of religion.

>> No.16375176
File: 20 KB, 400x400, sad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>HEINRICH, YOU ARE REDEEMED

>> No.16375204

>>16375176
Is Lohengrin your favourite Wagner drama?

>> No.16375208

>>16375171
Agreed on that, it's also one of the most enlightening works on art I've ever read.

>> No.16375219
File: 36 KB, 640x479, 1592613150269.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Listen to Tristan Und Isolde
>Its one of the most beautiful, grand and evocative pieces of music I've ever heard
>Read the plot on wikipedia
>The whole thing is a shitty love triangle that makes no sense, also it involves love potions
Still in absolute awe that he managed to drag 4 hours worth of opera out of this.

>> No.16375253

>>16375219
>reading poetry for the plot
Nobody, absolutely nobody, judges a tragedy by reading its plot from wikipedia. We could just the same way trivialize Hamlet and Faust. At least turn on the fucking subtitle if you are an anglo barbarian.

>> No.16375255

>>16374947
I completely agree with you on this, he goes on to say Wagner's works are the works of a single mind everywhere in them, while in Shakespeare the mind of the creator is invisible to the characters and the world-- an interesting point nonetheless, where he brings up Nietzsche's quote, that Wagner was fundamentally an actor.

>> No.16375287
File: 425 KB, 768x994, Knight, Death and Devil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16375219
Just read the English libretto with it anon, it will be even more amazing, I listened to parts of act 2 reading the libretto and I can say I had developed desires to die heroically devoted to my eros, and could see why it was Mishima's favourite work of Wagner's. But that said, taking such a view of it, is unhealthy for the mind while watching. The work has a long history of death and debauchery, and for good reason too, there is the sense that at any moment there can be a releasement from the building up, into a debauchery--; and many have not toddered this divinest of humanly lines heroically, but given in. Likened to the perfect balance of the greatest extremes possible here, Wagner has it, and taking Schoenberg as a musical variant of the mental weakling, he forgets the heroic and the structure of it, devoid's it of its true meaning and turns it into purely a fest of sex, it is the end as he sees it, and without a balancing or higher morality, given in, and ends his life in the rising degeneracy's of Hollywood. I am not to make a moral judgement of the work Tristan itself, but it undoubtedly focuses on such "immoral" things to the furthest possibility.

It reminds me of that quote by Nietzsche posted a little while ago from The Birth of Tragedy:
>In vain we look for a single vigorously developed root, for a spot of fertile and healthy soil: everywhere there is dust and sand; everything has become rigid and languishes. One who is disconsolate and lonely could not choose a better symbol than the knight with death and devil, as Dürer has drawn him for us, the armored knight with the iron, hard look, who knows how to pursue his terrible path, undeterred by his gruesome companions, and yet without hope, alone with his horse and dog. Our Schopenhauer was such a Dürer knight; he lacked all hope, but he desired truth. He has no peers.

>> No.16375607

>>16375204
that's from tannhauser

>> No.16375618

>>16375607
Is Tannhauser your favourite Opera of Wagner's?

>> No.16375722

>>16375618
no, parsifal is, but tannhauser has a special place in my heart

>> No.16375729
File: 40 KB, 535x577, 7123452463.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16375176