[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 136 KB, 605x883, addiction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16343437 No.16343437[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How do I stay aware of innovations that happen in the social media domain, i.e. OnlyFans, without myself using social media?

I want to be aware of the changing trends but not want to be subject to them. Are there any news sites that specialize in this kind of news?

>> No.16343446

>>16343437
Download Feedly

>> No.16343452

>>16343437
Yes, 4channel.org

>> No.16343474

>>16343437
Follow MemeAnalysis. Pretty based.
https://youtu.be/KFaoOpgrhYI

>> No.16343504

is "facebook bad" the new NPC theme

>> No.16343518

>>16343504
OP's picrel might seem boomerish but if you don't think that "Facebook bad" is a very valid point then you're a brainlet

>> No.16343531

>>16343518
Yes but the only people who post this shit are themselves heavy Facebook (or reddit) users. I don't understand what the fuck is so hard about deleting your account and doing something else (like how I did 5 years ago) instead of whining about how bad Facebook is, on Facebook.

>> No.16343539

>>16343518
Yep just took the pic from google real quick. But I agree at this point you don't see that Facebook is more bad than good, you're an idiot.

>> No.16343551

>>16343531
Stop projecting and read the actual post. Nothing in this post is whining in any sort of way.

>> No.16343572

>>16343504
I've never had Facebook and back in 2008/9 when everyone was jumping on its dick, I was called a shizo conspiracy theorist for telling people it will be used to spy on you and imprison you.
And now here we are, after Cambridge Analytica and other such incidents and people commonly being arrested/sentenced for social media posts.
No, the NPC just goes with the flow. Maybe in part there could be a superficial anti-facebook sentiment but they'll definitely use some platform owned by them.

>> No.16343600

>>16343531
I'm not talking about the OP post. I'm talking about the actual anti-Facebook rants all the internet from people who just can't give it up.

>>16343572
Cambridge Analytica wasn't actually that big a deal. All companies do what they did.

>> No.16343656

>>16343600
>Cambridge Analytica wasn't actually that big a deal. All companies do what they did.
See this is part of the problem. These things become normal, rationalised, but when you mention that risk prior to the normalisation, you are called a schizo.
CA is just the tip of the iceberg, but a concrete example of what I was literally accused of being crazy for saying would happen.

>> No.16343662

>>16343656
If you sign up to a website and give them your fucking private information, whose fault is it? Nobody forced you to register to Facebook, and they're certainly not installing wiretaps in your home.

>> No.16343677

>>16343662
You clearly don't understand, possibly too young to even remember a time that wasn't like this.
Read what I said anyway, do you think I signed up? And people didn't listen. You sound like you want to rationalise your social media usage rather than understand my point about the nature of the NPC.

>> No.16343686

>innovations

>> No.16343690

>>16343437
Scarce does a job of it.

>> No.16343706

>>16343677
I made a Facebook account in 2007, added a few friends from school, didn't see any point in it and logged out. I haven't used Facebook ever since.

You can keep calling me an NPC but you're not addressing my point. Facebook doesn't force you to do anything.

>> No.16343748

>>16343706
>don't make a facebook, they (or other organisations) will use it to spy on you
>"no they won't, you're a schizo"
>CA comes to light
>"yeah, well that's not a big deal everyone does that, no one forced you to make a facebook anyway!"

You see the rationalisation you're making? It goes from "that would never happen", to "it's not that bad" and finally the coup de grace of "you deserve it".

It's like you've internalised the shill playbook. And I sadly don't even think you're a shill.

>> No.16343769

>>16343748
I think we're operating under different information here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but CA (or Facebook) didn't collect data about non-Facebook users, nor did they obtain data about Facebook users in a way that was breaking any laws at the time. In other words, they operated within their legal rights and only gathered data about users who voluntarily used Facebook services.

>> No.16343798

>>16343769
>The Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data breach was a data leak in early 2018 whereby millions of Facebook users' personal data was harvested without consent by Cambridge Analytica, predominantly to be used for political advertising.[1] It is the largest known leak in Facebook history.[2]

I'm not talking about non-facebook users, the whole point was I warned people not to sign up to it because of things like this, not just CA specifically! That is just one example that happened to come to light.

You are not getting the concept. I know people choose to use facebook, but my entire fucking point, was that when I warned people of the potential consequences, it was dismissed as nonsense, but after those consequences (including people being arrested/imprisoned), it has been rationalised by people like you who don't seem to understand that this hasn't always been the case.

In fact, in less than 20 years, the complete shift from never using your real information on the internet to the majority always using their real information has skewed people's perception of what kind of information is normal to be shared even more.

>> No.16343802

>>16343706
>Facebook doesn't force you to do anything.
not the anon youre arguing with but I agree with him. Cigarettes dont force you to smoke them either but if you start they will hook you into a destructive habit.
Social media is not only bad for the individuals who use it but also for the societies in which they flourish - it encourages conformism and mob mentality and creates mindless hordes of NPCs.
Ive never had facebook or twitter and I recall work collegues who back then laughed at me for being an antisocial luddite. One of those same people said to me last week 'youre so lucky you never got started on twitter - I feel like Im wasting all my time on it but I cant seem to stop.'

>> No.16343822

>>16343802
I can get on board with what you're saying. All we can do publicise the problems of social media and encourage others to avoid it. Just like junk food and sitting down all day. That's all there is to it.

>>16343798
Aside from the "I told you so" stuff, yeah okay, maybe people were fooled into thinking their data was safe. But this is a minor point in the problems of social media use. The problem isn't CA using your data, it's people being addicted to a useless activity. That's what I'm talking about here.

>> No.16343828

>>16343822

A big fuck you, you obtuse turd. Wasted my breath on someone who wanted to split hairs.

>> No.16343961

>>16343828
You're very angry lad. I think imageboards might not be so good either for your mental health.

>> No.16344284

>>16343437
RSS feeds

>> No.16344377

>you have the button bro just delete your account bro
This is a very naive thought. The voice in your head is not all of yourself

>> No.16344387

>>16343504
Facebook's cultural power has waned substantially from its heyday in the late oughts. It still has the best technology and infrastructure bar none and the greatest capital. It still has the advantage of overwhelming network effects but these claims that it influences elections and is gamed by Russian spies to win elections vastly overestimate the impact of these influences. It's a red herring, commonly deployed by the liberal media in order to pin the blame on external interlopers to explain why it isn't currently in power.
Facebook's main issue is that the platform itself is no longer seen as cool. It's seen by the younger generation as boomer central, where grandmas post pictures of casseroles and uncles pictures of lawnmowers. Facebook sagely purchased Instagram in 2012, but instagram is just a digital lookbook where people show off how trendy they are and how active their social life is. It is not an effective vehicle for political manipulation.
I think we have seen a reaction against flat, open social networks and a move towards more old fashioned community forums and closed networks. Discord channels, private groups, and other bounded, obscured, or aliased networks appeal to people who do not want to be judged by their actions on social networks, tracked and depersonalized by it. Or the shift is toward more limited media platforms, like Tiktok or Twitter, where you don't dox yourself with every single fact about you but use it for a single, targeted purpose.

>> No.16344419

>>16343961
You realise how annoying it is to be ostracised by your real life friends and family for shit that was "crazy" ten years ago, the same things that are now being downplayed by the same people as normal?
And then you echo that same sentiment until I finally explain the distinction, and you just brush it aside like it wasn't your point when you replied to me.

It's hard not to be angry when the whole world is going down the exact same path you have been adamantly against for decades.

>> No.16344448
File: 8 KB, 225x225, 1577255172824.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16344387
>grandmas post pictures of casseroles and uncles pictures of lawnmowers
Sounds good. Might rejoin.