[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 79 KB, 780x1024, 523032AA-ADFD-46F7-B2DD-0631D4D5C8B6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16294374 No.16294374 [Reply] [Original]

What type of book provides the best escapism? What is the best escapism?
>flow state from non fiction
>empathizing so deeply with a realistic character you project yourself upon them
>world building so detailed you forget about the material world
>prose so vivid you see it in your minds eye
>what kind of escapism can you think of?
Does the length of the work effect how deep the escapism is? Is this why some science fiction series last 20 volumes and why Russian literature is so thick?

>should we be striving for escapism?
>is escapism only okay in moderation?
>can it truly be escapism if it isn’t complete or a totality, does moderating escapism ruin escapism?
>does archiving a state of escapism enhance your reaction to a piece? Eg. Are your emotional reactions stronger?
>does a high level of escapism and immersion make fictional characters so real you react emotionally as if they are real? Ie. Loss of a loved one?
>is the deep hollow feeling of loss and sorrow after completing a work only applicable to things that provided a certain level of escapism?

>> No.16294421

>>16294374
The modern world is built around escapism. And in the current day and age, escapism is the only real freedom we have.

I think escapism is the ultimate goal of storytelling, because ultimately people won't want to read something that doesn't put them in a better (or at least a different) mental place than they're currently in. Relaying wisdom or demonstrating novel ideas is perhaps a penultimate goal. But giving people a reason to read in the first place is more important.

>> No.16294443

>>16294421
Ah, the DFW paradox of to eliminate entertainment you would need to make the information about the topic entertaining?

>> No.16294480

>>16294374
Very nice post, I hope this sparks some discussion.

I think the most important part of a work with “escapist value” is the beauty the reader can find in it. It probably doesn’t matter what they’re trying to escape from.
As almost always in literature, book length is probably less important than what the writer has to say.
Escapism can be helpful, but striving for it isn’t reasonable, is it? Why don’t we try to solve the problems we can solve before?
I guess it’s fine as long as you don’t completely lose control over your life.

>> No.16294545

>>16294443
I don't know if I'd call it a paradox, but I think DFW's argument was more that people are just hard wired a certain way. And until we either adapt or evolve past that drive to escape/to be entertained, we will be vulnerable to obsession and manipulation which isn't healthy.

I think as long as you're exercising some kind of conscious choice over how you chose to keep yourself entertained, and recognizing the signs of when escapism turns into addiction, that's what's important.

>> No.16294604

>>16294545
Also, don’t forget that if you treat it the right way, “escapist” literature can even make you hopeful/optimistic, at least that’s what I’ve experienced. You can benefit from esc. lit. in different ways.

>> No.16294613

For me no other escapism can match formulaic genre fiction patterned on Myth. I recently reread Dune and it made me think back on what literature enthralled me in my youth. It became painfully obvious to me that every novel which most gripped me was patterned off of Campbell's work on the Hero's Journey. I believe it fills a hole left by the decline of genuine Initiatory Tradition. Is there anyone other than Evola who writes on that subject?

>> No.16294744

>>16294604
Oh absolutely. Escapism allows people to cope with an otherwise intolerable state of existence.

>> No.16294885

>>16294545
Isn’t it the plot and point of infinite jest too? A book that is mildly entertaining about pure entertainment but formatted in such a way you can never become immersed?

>> No.16295628

Bump

I know there’s only like 3 anons that actually read books, but this is applicable to all media. I’d think anons would like the chance at actual discussion.

>> No.16296304

>>16294885
Uh, sortof. Infinite Jest (one of my fav books btw) is about a lot of things. Mostly about addiction, and how to cope with the fucked up world that we live in.