[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 311x450, 456435.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1617990 No.1617990 [Reply] [Original]

The Stand. The best book by Stephen King, and one of my favorite books of all time. Just my opinion though. What do you guys think about it?

>> No.1617996

>>1617990
horrible
o woeth me

>> No.1618002

>>1617990
took entirely too long to read for an unsatisfying end but up till about 3/4 of the way through it was awsome

>> No.1618004

All I remember reading that as a kid was tons and tons of graphic sex.

The actual plot was standard king fare, I seem to remember it didn't have much of an ending and kind of wandered aimless for well, all of the book.

But well, it was decent

>> No.1618008

>>1618002
I thought it was perfect length, I prefer really long books. I liked the ending too.

>> No.1618158
File: 84 KB, 500x746, the-dark-tower.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Best King Book/Series reporting.
Suck TheStandfags

>> No.1618413

>>1618158
I didn't like that series. it was like a stoned writer was trying to put metaphors into every single detail about the story.

>> No.1618475

>>1618413
>>1618158

SOMEONE FUCKING SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THESE COMMENTS.

I've never read a king book and I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should read his books.

>> No.1618484

>>1618475

both are patently false read the shining four seasons and his earlier short story comps

also cell and duma key if you feel like figuratively punching yourself in the balls

>> No.1618518

I liked it-- Solid Characters. Got a little cheesy for me towards the end, but the beginning and middle more than made up for it. I like that he offered the perspectives of characters of different backrounds--kept things interesting. More than anything, I think it was a decent commentary on human behavior--a "what people do when no one is looking" sort of thing.

>>1618158
Also a favorite of mine of his. Again, a little over the top in certain parts--not a big fan of Fate, Destiny, or what have you--but that didn't ruin it for me. Would love to read more about pre-Roland days--The Height of Gilead. I hear the graphic novels cover some of this, but I'm not sure if that's enough to satiate.

>> No.1618543

I thought the first 4 Dark Tower books were good, after that it started to get a bit stupid, but I still read them and sort of enjoyed them. I liked The Stand, but I read the uncut edition which is a few hundred pages longer but is meant to have a lot more story than the original.

If it'll be your first King book, I'd start with The Shining and 'Salem's Lot, as they're two of the best books he ever wrote.

>> No.1618581

Misery is so good and it doesn't have any of that fantasy crap. Why doesn't anyone ever talk about Misery. Oh my god.

>> No.1618585

>>1618475

After a while, The Dark Tower got a little ridiculous, yeah. In the seventh book there was some lame prison/school for psychics, and apprently they are forced to...sit in a room, concentrating on breaking one of the beams? Oh and all the Taheen just hang out and shoot b-ball, lol.

Mordred was a pussy; Flagg was utterly wasted. The older I get, the more I realize how awful that series is. It reads like bad fanfic in the last two books.

>> No.1618602

Not my favorite by him, BUT I had already read 40 or so of his other novels before that one and I'm not the biggest fan of post-apocalyptic novels, so I've just got my little biases. I don't care for Carrie, Roadwork, Hearts In Atlantis, The Shining, and Thinner. I hated Lisey's Story first time I read it too, but ended up loving it on the 2nd or 3rd time. And....screw it, give me a title and I'll tell you what I think of it lol.

I like most of his stuff but my absolute favorites, ones I can read again and again, are Pet Sematary, It, Needful Things, Gerald's Game, Bag of Bones, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and a handful of the short story collections (I can never remember which holds what).