[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 213x350, conan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16161893 No.16161893 [Reply] [Original]

Just inherited my dads huge Conan collection, are they worth a read? or at the very least, the first one? (there are a dozen here if not more)

>> No.16161913

>>16161893
No, Conan is not worth reading. That's why it's so popular nearly 100 years later, because it's not worth reading.

>> No.16161918

Truly underrated film.

>> No.16162872
File: 1.24 MB, 1125x2194, 52784973-209A-4AFD-942A-22FF4E17B549.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ATTENTION TO THE ANON WHO SHILLS THE “DEL RAY BOOKS”

Brrooo I tried to get to you on the other thread where the guy was like “aargh the The Complete Chronicles Of Conan: Centenary Edition (Hardback) fckin suuucks something something Conan finds a pawg... etc.”
Anyway I was gonna respond to you being like (imagine I replied to one of your posts in the last thread as follows: [this is if I even find you here, though I have a feeling you might, I know you love your Conan threads you little bastard])
Brooo I’ve been meaning to get to you, and btw you’re very based, but I just need to know... it’s been a few many days since hog posted on the sffg regarding the Conan collections and you were saying how, aside from your obvi fav: the del ray collections, (pic related) allot of the collections including your most despised The Complete Chronicles Of Conan: Centenary Edition (Hardback) are edited to shit.
Anyway brother what I’m trying to get at is brother,,, I’ve already (and unlike the last Conan poster who posted the The Complete Chronicles Of Conan: Centenary Edition [Hardback] Picture, I’m not a faggot and didn’t kill a thread post it) bought it you see :(... I had it even when I asked you all those sffg threads back... this is bad because I don’t (and I completely believe you, remember how I said how based I know you are for your vault of knowledge on these subjects) want to buy a whole new collection. Soooo as I was saying, and tho I’ve seen you mention it off-handedly, I need to know for sure... is thee :The Complete Chronicles Of Conan: Centenary Edition (Hardback) that gayley edited so where I can’t read it? Believe me I know all that’s you’ve said, I’m just asking if it’s cool to read. That’s it. Is it cool if I just fucking read it. You’re the deciding factor, if you tell me straight up, “nah this shits gay I’m litterally telling you not to read it and buy the del ray” I’ll fucking do it bro. But if you’re like whatever bro it’s chill.... brooo. Lmk

>> No.16162882
File: 119 KB, 929x1175, 1597687840842.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

he Riddle of Steel is central to the plot of John Milius's 1982 movie, Conan the Barbarian.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me." ~Conan the Barbarian
In the beginning, we see Conan's father explain the Cimmerian lore concerning the ancient Giant Kings of earth stealing the forging secrets from the god Crom. Conan's father tells him that he must learn by himself the riddle of steel. Giving him a hint, he tells him that you cannot trust anything in this world, except for one thing; and, showing him the sword of steel he just forged, he says: "This you can trust." What he does exactly mean by "this" is not clear. (That sword? All swords? All weapons? Only weapons of steel? Only things he made himself?) Conan's task is very complex: first, he must find a riddle, that is, a question; and then he must find the answer to that question. In many ways, this resembles the buddhist test of a koan.

Right after that, Conan's father and the people in Conan's village are all killed by an overwhelming force led by Thulsa Doom. Years later, Conan tracks down and confronts Doom and his raiders. Doom tells him that he has abandoned the pursuit of steel, because flesh is stronger. To prove his point, he beckons one of his cult followers on a cliff to come to him. Enthralled by her faith, she steps off the cliff and falls to her death. This, the ability to lead loyal followers who are willing to die for you, is real strength for Doom, and he reproaches Conan for not recognizing where his own strength is.

Conan is nailed to a dead tree in the desert for several days until rescued. As he heals, he reflects upon the riddle of steel. No longer does the barbarian limit himself to direct brute assault. Using covert methods and battlefield tactics, Conan and his friends inflict great damage to their enemy. His father's sword is broken in battle, but Conan doesn't discard it. Then, in his final confrontation with Doom, as he is subjugated by Doom's mind control, Conan looks at the damaged sword and somehow frees himself and kills his enemy with one thrust of the still sharp sword. It is implied that, in that instant, he figured the riddle and the true answer to the riddle. Which these are, however, we are never told

Fans have come up with several explanations over the years. One is the Nietzschean idea that will is indomitable and stronger than both steel and flesh. Another one is the very Howardian explanation that overcoming adversity makes you stronger just like steel becomes stronger under the hammer and in the fire. (That is: when Conan's father said "This you can trust" he meant "You can only trust the strength and abilities you gain through hardship and struggle.")

>> No.16162894

>>16161918
How in what way is this underrated, it’s one of the most popular films of all time FAGGOT aaaaaAASRGHHH

>> No.16162911

>>16162872
Bump

>> No.16162916

>>16162882
FUCK OFF TRANNY

>> No.16162925

>>16161893
yeah you should read some of them they are pretty good if you like pulp.

>> No.16164926

>>16161893
>Your dad read homo-erotic fiction.
Yea he was probably a closet homo.

>> No.16166449

>>16161918
It was shit and all sneaking trash. Why conan goes from based gladiator to beta thief is never explained.

>> No.16166529

>>16161893
Ugh, at least go read the deracialized version, Sweaty.

>> No.16166612
File: 41 KB, 316x475, 464685[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read Gor instead

>> No.16166677

>>16161918
No the Destroyer is underrated
>great sets
>nice one off story just like Conan stories normally are
>good score
>good cast
It just isn't as bad as people say