[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 410x357, _91408619_55df76d5-2245-41c1-8031-07a4da3f313f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16158279 No.16158279 [Reply] [Original]

How come I can recognize and 100% understand fancy words, but I can't synthesize complex, professional sounding sentences on my own without either having to really try to recall to mind the right words, or using a thesaurus? Am I just a retard? My grasp on English grammar is very good I'd say, and it's not like my lexicon is underdeveloped or anything, I KNOW the words, I just can't always remember them on the spot.

>> No.16158365

>>16158279
That is because you are a human being, and humans have an innate inability to comprehend abstract concepts. You cannot even conceive of such things as infinity, which is why your vocabulary has no word for it. Your brain simply does not allow you to think about such ideas. However, if you were to be deprived of oxygen for too long, your heart would stop and eventually your body would cease functioning altogether. This is what happens when you take drugs. The drugs that cause this effect include alcohol, tobacco, caffeine and many others. They dull your senses so that you lose touch with reality and become incapable of thinking rationally. The only escape from this madness is death. The world as we know it, will cease to exist, and be replaced by a barren void. There is no afterlife, there is no reincarnation, and there is no god. It is an existence devoid of logic, feelings and humanity. This is the world of the 16 bit video game.

>> No.16158389

>>16158365
>coffee IS indeed bad for you
finally we have an answer

>> No.16158622

>>16158279

Passive vocabulary = the words you recognize when you see them. Active vocabulary = the words you naturally use yourself unprompted.

Most people have a smaller active vocabulary; it sounds as though yours is much smaller. To expand it you have to put effort in. Mainly that means writing. But even when you're reading, put more effort in.

>> No.16158642

>>16158279
Learn to code