[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 8 KB, 374x281, godot.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1614205 No.1614205 [Reply] [Original]

Hai guise!
So whats the deal with Waiting for Godot? is it really all about the post-cartesian world in which we live where sustainability is not a priority and we are all waiting for resources to run out? (natural resources = Godot)

>> No.1614209

Nah.

>> No.1614213
File: 76 KB, 640x426, didi+gogo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

that's the lamest interpretation of WFG that I've ever heard. Don't ever repeat it.

It's about waiting. Waiting for it, for him, for her, for all, for yourself.

>> No.1614214

as opposed to pre-cartesian?

>> No.1614225

>>1614213

Waiting for God(ot).

Also, that's a great production.

>> No.1614234

>post-cartesian world
Ahahaha no, maybe in another two thousand years when fat white assholes realise that the yellow people have had things to say for thousands of years, the simplest of which dwarf the most complex systems it has taken ignorant western dogmatic pigs the entire history of western thought to produce

>> No.1614237

its waiting to die right? thats kinda the whole 20th century thing- "all man's irrationality boils down to a fear of death?" right?

>> No.1614241

>>1614225
I'd hesitate from giving it the God interpretation, one which Beckett himself dismissed ("If by Godot I had meant God I would have said God, and not Godot"). I think it's deeper than that. To me it is a dismissal of any futuristic, arbitrary lean in general. It's the more tragicomedic extension of the sort of reckless abandon cummings advocated in works like "since feeling is first."

>> No.1614242
File: 9 KB, 340x336, descartes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What's the problem! The body is just like a well oiled machine! Input equals output! Take it apart, put it back together! Isolate a broken piece, replace it!

This Waiting for Godot play seems to be telling me to think post-me and see the human body as part of an ecological system that makes up a whole! FUCK THAT!

>> No.1614243

its just a fucking play

where a bunch of vague things happen

>> No.1614249

>>1614234
if philosophy is productive
and eastern philosophy is better than western philosophy

then why is
the west
the best
?

>> No.1614253
File: 33 KB, 286x475, Zen-and-the-Art-of-Motorcycle-Maintenance1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1614234

LawL thanks for the great metaphysics yellow people! But I Kant understand your symbols.

>> No.1614262

>>1614241
Beckett may have derived the word from the Irish language. I found this very interesting: "Having been born and raised in Ireland, Beckett would have been fully familiar with the Irish language. In Irish Gaelic, "go deo" means both "forever", and "a very long time". Perhaps M. Beckett was engaging in sly humour when he chose that name knowing few in a French or English speaking audience would grasp his play on words."

So the play could be translated as "Waiting For Forever". Hm. It doesn't seem like the play was merely written as reference to that the Irish translation of the the word, but it can be considered.

>> No.1614264

>>1614253

oh. no.
(are there any "eastern" critiques of becket?)

>> No.1614269

And what is post-cartesian? Cartesian plane?

The first thing that came to mind was post-scarcity but it doesn't fit in the context of your op.

>> No.1614270

>>1614262
bro that's really interesting, thanks.
I guess hanging out with Joyce has its side effects.

>> No.1614285

Lucky's monolouge. I didn't understand...

I mean, I've heard of stream-of-consciousness and I've seen its usage in Ann Porter's The Jilting of Grandmother Weatherall(I admit, it was a very watered down stream-of-consciousness), but I'm ashamed to say that Lucky's stream has stumped me.

How does one take apart stream-of-consciousness and understand it?

>> No.1614290

>>1614241

Yeah, it's not my favorite interpretation, but it kind of works regardless of Beckett's own dismissal.

The only thing I can say in support of it is that Didi and Gogo are supposed to meet Godot on Saturday, which is the Jewish day of worship. However, Didi is unsure of that day, which could be read as referencing the discrepancy between Jewish sabbath and Christian sabbath.

And then, of course, Gogo remarks on the absurdity of labeling the days at all (But is it Saturday? Is it rather not Sunday, or Monday, or Friday! Or Thursday!).

>> No.1614294
File: 6 KB, 239x211, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1614285

You can't step in the same steam-of-consciousness twice!

>> No.1614303

"When Roger Blin asked him who or what Godot stood for, Beckett replied that it suggested itself to him by the slang word for boot in French, godillot, godasse because feet play such a prominent role in the play. This is the explanation he has given most often."

>> No.1614315

>>1614225

I stand by waiting for death reading
*terror management theory*

all human action is taken to ignore or avoid the inevitability that all people die- all anxiety (waiting) stems from that

>> No.1614327

>>1614315
What's so scary about death? Do you have any scientific proofs for me to fear this inevitable death?

>> No.1614329

>>1614315

I actually like this reading.

I'm curious though, how do you read the failed suicides (hangings)?

>> No.1614333

this is interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpunxsezBw0

>> No.1614366

>>1614270
Don't thank me yet. I should have posted this too but was unable to find it at that moment:

"When Roger Blin asked him who or what Godot stood for, Beckett replied that it suggested itself to him by the slang word for boot in French, godillot, godasse because feet play such a prominent role in the play. This is the explanation he has given most often."

Waiting For Estragon to put his boot on? When I read it I saw the boots as that sort of personal demon that everybody has to conquer but is too scared or too weak to do it.

VLADIMIR:
(letting go the leg). Where are your boots?
ESTRAGON:
I must have thrown them away.
VLADIMIR:
When?
ESTRAGON:
I don't know.
VLADIMIR:
Why?
ESTRAGON:
(exasperated). I don't know why I don't know!
VLADIMIR:
No, I mean why did you throw them away?
ESTRAGON:
(exasperated). Because they were hurting me!
VLADIMIR:
(triumphantly, pointing to the boots). There they are! (Estragon looks at the boots.) At the very spot where you left them yesterday!
Estragon goes towards the boots, inspects them closely.
ESTRAGON:
They're not mine.
VLADIMIR:
(stupefied). Not yours!
ESTRAGON:
Mine were black. These are brown.
VLADIMIR:
You're sure yours were black?
ESTRAGON:
Well they were a kind of gray.
VLADIMIR:
And these are brown. Show me.

Right here I'm thinking Estragon is trying to stay far, far away from his from his own personal problems(embodied in his quest to put his boots on). He even is even going so far as to say that those boots(his problems) aren't his.

>> No.1614369

>>1614333
This is relevant to my interests! Thanks!

>> No.1614370

>>1614366
And not too far after these lines, when Vladimir is asking Estragon if he is going to put the boot on the latter replies, "You'll help me?". He wants to face his "struggles" not by himself, but with a close friend; for him it's better that way.

This not-wanting-to-overcome-without-the-help-of-another-thing also brings to mind a statement Beckett made, saying that the play is about symbiosis(it seems to be made in frustration though so I'm not too certain of its reliability):

Beckett tired quickly of "the endless misunderstanding". As far back as 1955, he remarked, "Why people have to complicate a thing so simple I can't make out." He was not forthcoming with anything more than cryptic clues, however: "Peter Woodthrope [who played Estragon] remembered asking him one day in a taxi what the play was really about: 'It's all symbiosis, Peter; it's symbiosis,' answered Beckett."

And just to give you a fair warning, these quotes I'm giving are from Wiki. I trust them, as I can't possibly imagine anyone who would go to the trouble of editing a Wiki article so they can feign Beckett's "solution" to the play.

>> No.1614376
File: 67 KB, 488x348, Hofferquote.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"...the majority of people cannot endure the barrenness and futility of their lives unless they have some ardent dedication, or some passionate pursuit in which they can lose themselves."

-- Eric Hoffer, The True Believer

>> No.1614377

I prefer Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

>> No.1614379

>>1614294
Yeah, I figured.

How the hell does somebody go apart of taking the meaning out of Lucky's monologue though?

>> No.1614382

>>1614329

Had to think about that one.

My best rationalization is that its a dramatic choice.
Beckett positioning his characters into almost realizing the source of their anxiety.

By you know, being dead.

>> No.1614403

>>1614329
Laziness. Realization that they're not as brave as they thought

>> No.1614450

>>1614377
My teacher talked about this play. He says he's also considered reading it for his AP Lit class. If I may ask, how is it anon?

>> No.1614489

>>1614234
Hey D&E, did you read the Tao Te Ching like I told you, or what?

>> No.1614496

>>1614489
He read the sparks notes and the Tao of Pooh.