[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 145 KB, 430x539, aftertheface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1612849 No.1612849 [Reply] [Original]

Picture obviously not related or yes?

I want a change of point of view, /lit/. So, could you tell me about 'non-westerner' writers?

Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Arabic, African, etc.

What do you think about them?

>> No.1613016
File: 92 KB, 490x600, 1985FavouriteBookEver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1612849
/lit/ doesn't know about this or what?

shameless self bump

>> No.1613023
File: 6 KB, 240x160, TyBrax16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

so you specifically want books by people that -should- be bad at writing?

>> No.1613021

>>1613016
>>1613016
i think pretty much everyone knows Huge Orson Welles
but i dunno about the writers apart from the OLD Japanese writers, tale of genji etc

>> No.1613036

What exactly are you looking for, OP? There are a lot of non-westers writers, writing in a lot of different styles.

>> No.1613044

>>1613036
Everything, including essays.
Preferably separated by genre, though.
I am especially interested on Arabic literature, since I know nothing about it but I am starting 'One thousand and one nights' soon.

>>1613023
GTFO, nao.

>> No.1613052

>>1612849
Arundhati Roy - The God of Small Things

>> No.1613062
File: 174 KB, 1000x750, 003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Tao Lin

>> No.1613070

>>1613044
what do you mean?
translated texts wont be as good as english classics unless you can read arabic or chinese

>> No.1613081

>>1613062
I think I'm going to try Eeeee Eee Eeee, just because of the title.

>>1613070
I am studying Arabic and Chinese, but i'm still shit at both, so I prefer English or Spanish translations.

>> No.1613084

jorge luis borges

amazing writer, if your looking for fiction

>> No.1613092

>>1613044
Well I don't know a lot about Arabic lit (except for some poetry) but I can tell you some other general stuff for what you're looking for.

If you want essays/criticism:
Edward Said - Orientalism
Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak - Can the Subaltern Speak?
Frantz Fanon - The Wretched of the Earth

Novels (some of my favourites from non-westerners):
Salman Rushdie - Shame (India (debatable))
J M Coetzee - Age of Iron (South Africa)
Tayeb Salih - Season of Migration to the North (Sudan)
Kiran Desai - The Inheritance of Loss (India)

>inb4 i am a postcolonial fag. i know that already.

I have some good recs for Caribbean lit too, if you want them.

>> No.1613101

>>1613092
wat poetry u got?

>> No.1613108

I can tell you about some Japanese writers. You said separated by genre, but I'm not sure what the genre for all these people are, so by period maybe?

Tokugawa Period (1603-1868)
>Ihara Saikaku.
He has several works translated into English, but I think Five Women Who Loved Love is the best starting place for him. He wrote "erotic" stories during the 17th century, that usually end tragically but are always full of irony.
>Chikamatsu Monzaemon.
A playwright who wrote mostly for puppet theatre. There are several collections of his more major plays out there, and I know everyone hates hearing "oh but you have to see it on stage to have actually experienced it," but really. Puppet theatre is something you have to watch more than anything. The plays are still a good read too though, if you absolutely can't.
>Mastuo Basho.
Mostly a haiku poet. There are tons of translations out there of his poetry. I personally really like Makoto Ueda's, but I haven't tried them all. His travel diary (which is translated several different ways), the Narrow Road to Oku, is probably the best starting point.
>Ueda Akinari.
He has two books translated into English, though only Tales of Moonlight and Rain is easy to come across. These are stories laden with references to Chinese and Japanese folklore, so you may want to pick up a few books on that before beginning. They could still be enjoyed without the previous knowledge, but it makes it more amazing to actually get the references.

I'll do the Meiji period in a bit.

>> No.1613125
File: 72 KB, 476x422, kubotroll.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1613062
My god, that man has such a fine trollface.

>> No.1613126

>>1613101
Just that I like Rumi and Omar Khayyam. I guess they are Persian and not Arab, actually. But I don;t know what the situation was like in the 11th-13th centuries.

>> No.1613133

>>1613126
I love Rumi :D and Hafiz. Not read any Khayyam though, I can only find the Edward Fitzgerald versions of his stuff.

>> No.1613160

>>1613108
Meiji Period (1868-1912)
>Shimei Futabatei.
Wrote the first novel in modern Japanese language, Ukigumo. The best (only?) edition you can get has more introduction than actual novel, as it's a rather short novel that had more impact in the sense of being revolutionary than having an innovative story.
>Koda Rohan
I think the only translated works by him out are Pagoda, Skull, and Samurai (in one volume). In these three stories he hearkens back to earlier days in his style and content.
>Mori Ogai
Most famous for The Wild Geese but a lot of his body of work is historical short fiction. There are several collections out there (such as The Historical Fiction of Mori Ogai). There are also several other short stories by him scattered through anthologies.
>Higuchi Ichiyo
Female writer in the Meiji period, most well known for her diary entries and the several short stories she wrote before dying early of tuberculosis. There's an amazing critical biography/short story collection out there for her called In the Shade of Spring Leaves.
>Toson Shimazaki
There are a few works by him that have been translated - The Family, the Broken Commandment, and Before the Dawn (and also a biography just came out!). He was also well known in Japan for his poetry, though I can't find any translated. He got involved in an affair with his niece, which he used as a basis for one of his (untranslated) novels.
>Katai Tayama
The two works by him that have been translated are The Quilt and Other Stories and Country Teacher (the later is by far the cheaper one to get ahold of). He wrote in the I-novel, realistic style, drawing from his own experiences.
>Natsume Soseki
Basically the most well-respected Japanese writer. His most famous work is Kokoro, though he's also written Botchan and essays such as Heredity of Taste. There's a variety of his work translated into English out there.

>> No.1613202

>>1613160

Taisho Period (1912-1926)
>Ryunosuke Akutagawa.
Famous short story writer. His best-known stories are those that draw from mythology and older stories, but he also wrote many autobiographical stories dealing with his mental illness.
>Izumi Kyoka.
A superstitious writer of short stories too, there are two collections of his works out in English. Most of his works deal with the supernatural, and he also had a fixation on older women/mother figures.
>Junichiro Tanizaki.
Famous writer in Japan. Most of his works are very sexualized and deal with the relationship between the Japan and the Western world.
>Eiji Yoshikawa.
Famous historical novelist, most known for his novel Musashi. A lot of his novels are re-workings of past epics.

Are you even reading this, OP? ;_;

>> No.1613213

>>1613092
>the wretched of the earth
>house nigger is inherently gay. freud dixit

>> No.1613374

>>1613202
Yeah, thanks. I'm saving this.

It's awesome, but /lit/ actually delivers!

>> No.1613380

>>1613374
Did you see any you were particularly interested in?

>> No.1613401

>>1613380
Probably i'll take the Taisho era and then backwards in time. Not that I prefer that era, it's simply going from most familiar to least.

>> No.1613406

>>1613202
Not him, but I appreciate your effort.

>> No.1613407

>>1613401
>>1613380
Going for more recent (and popular, and controversial) authors. What does /lit/ thinks about Haruki Murakami?

>> No.1614666

>>1613213
weak comment is weak.

explain yourself or go back to /b/

>> No.1614709

I'll second Edward Said's Orientalism.

Also, I see Frantz Fanon has appeared in my vision again. I really need to get a hold of a book of his and read it.

Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart, a pretty interesting story about an African Tribe meeting Europeans. Fictional.

>> No.1614733

>>1614709
Frantz Fanon is dooooooope and if you've already read Said there's no reason not to dive into Fanon

>> No.1614765

>>1614733
Alright, the second I decide to return all of my library books and pay the fine, I'm getting Fanon.

>> No.1615506

Roberto Bolano - 2666
Isabel Allende - The House of the Spirits

>> No.1616192

bump