[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 414 KB, 498x498, 1596313925903.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16113464 No.16113464 [Reply] [Original]

This is a creative thread with the intention of giving the space for anyone who wants to share what they are currently reading, their thoughts, opinions and feeling related to those books. Hopefully this will also encourage and motivate other anons who are wasting their time to read more.

Share with us:
>What was the last book you read?
>What are you currently reading?
>What are you planning on reading later?

>> No.16113496

>>16113464
>>What was the last book you read?
Ancient Egypt by Laurna Oakes.
>>What are you currently reading?
Molecular Cell Biology by Lodish, 8th Ed.
>>What are you planning on reading later?
Ecology: Concepts and Applications, by Molles. Fifth edition.

>> No.16113537

>>16113464
-100 years of solitude
-The name of the rose
-The Illiad

>> No.16113552

>last thing you read?
Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Stugatsky
>what are you reading?
The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
>Planning on reading later?
I dunno, that’s usually why I come to /lit/. Atm I’m looking for something that covers moral degeneration in a person (i.e. slipping into addiction, going through a bad identity crisis and the like) for cope material

>> No.16113560

>>16113552
>Atm I’m looking for something that covers moral degeneration in a person
Have you read Crime and Punishment?

>> No.16113574

>>16113560
Not yet. I’ll have to check it out, thanks!

>> No.16113645
File: 191 KB, 391x640, 1A8E5B4E-C395-4E64-8154-E87CB005B38F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16113464
>last
Norwegian Wood, had the book for ages and finally got around to reading it. Enjoyable, fairly comfy story. I understand why Murakami isn’t among this board’s favorites, but he’s produced some decent novels.

>current
pic related, haven’t read any essential Kafka yet (except for Metamorphosis). Loving it so far, his writing style and the drawn-out presentation of K.’s thoughts is endlessly amazing. I guess I’m also lucky to be able to read it in its original language.

>next
Faulkner’s Collected Stories, found a copy in my dad’s shelf. I’ve heard good things about some of the stories in the book.

>> No.16113659
File: 264 KB, 800x1280, Screenshot_20200812-153136_ReadEra.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm currently reading these four.

Salinger's shorts are a wonder to read but I admit some of them filtered me in a way because although I enjoyed reading them, I couldn't grasp their meaning immediately and had to resort to reviews of them. It's pretty neat overall.

Ficciones is a blast. The reviews of the non-existent works are kinda off for me, but they're enjoyable.

Maslow's work (I'm halfway through) is quite enlightening about ourselves. Being self-aware of our own basic needs might be valuable in our lives and our constant pursuit of them.

Lima Barreto is great, one of the most overlooked authors of Brazilian lit. The story is funny (boring sometimes) and comfy, with Barreto's prose carrying the reader to some extremely mundane events and dialogue with wit and pertinent critiques of late XIX century Brazil.

>>16113537
Based

>> No.16113713

a book on presocratics
Comedies by Aristophanes
Tragedies by Euripides

Started with the greeks about two months ago. I am almost certain I'll get filtered by Plato later on, but for now I'm having a great time.

>> No.16113736
File: 1.09 MB, 4014x1328, 20200718_162302.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16113464

>> No.16113740

Brave New World since somehow I never read it.

The Aeneid since I already read The Iliad and The Odyssey earlier in the year.

I haven't really decided yet. I usually decide on what I'll read next right after I finish whatever I'm currently reading.

>> No.16113763

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

>>16113659

Faulkner's Selected Short Stories

>> No.16114070

>>16113464
I'm a scifag
-Tiamat's Wrath
-A Deepness in the Sky
-Peace Talks

>> No.16114099

>>16113464
started reading the agony of power by baudrillard and anti-education by nietzsche

>> No.16114129

Stephen Florida. Really fun book to be honest. Main character is schizoish and obsessed with sports which I could relate to
The Myth of Sisyphus
Have to finish Norwegian Wood

>> No.16114154

I started the brothers karamazov a few days ago. I'm where the brothers and dad are visiting the elder, and the dads being a dick. Dmitri isn't there, and the elder just went outside to talk to the peasant women, with the young girl flirting with Alexey. I'm reading the bible alongside it. I'm liking it so far.

>> No.16114232

I am currently reading this art book about alex grey

>> No.16114325

I'm not reading, I'm writing a suicide note.

>> No.16114339
File: 74 KB, 749x562, 82520fcf-0da3-4062-be48-c35d441dee63.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>last
I'll name two because I spent a long time with the former and a short time with the latter.
Life on a Little Known Planet: A Biologist's View of Insects and Their World by Howard Ensign Evans. Took me a long time to finish because it was a bit technical for me, but I learned a lot. I'd love to post an excerpt about an entomologist who raised botfly maggots in his arm if anyone would care to read it.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and Through the Looking-Glass) by Lewis Carroll. I've seen so many adaptations and works based on Alice, but had never read it—I enjoyed it so much I finished both stories in a day in a half. I should read more Victorian children's literature, and more literary nonsense.

>current
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. I just started an hour ago and got sidetracked by the foreword—the Belle Époque is one of my favorite time periods.

>next
I'm not sure yet; depending on how much I like Phantom, I might jump into the Hunchback of Notre Dame, but I also have a copy of Le Morte D'Arthur on my desk that I've been looking forward to. But I also might want to read early Arthurian legend first... Maybe I'll read The Monk and stick with the gothic literature.

>> No.16114357

>>16113464
Demons
Against His-story, Against Leviathan
The Odyssey

>> No.16114391

Pessimism: Philosophy, Ethic, Spirit. Pretty decent.
That Sloterdijk book I kept seeing on here. It's great so far. Also Robert Aickman short stories.
Austerlitz, Book of the New Sun, Twilight of the Idols

>> No.16114453
File: 253 KB, 860x656, 372-3728050_apu-apustaja-thumbs-up-hd-png-download.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16113464
The Moon is Down. Brothers Karamazov if we don't count short stories
Crime and Punishment
Not sure. Either Notes from Underground, Brave New World, or maybe continue Musashi since I haven't read any in a while and stopped right at the start of book 3.

Gonna bike down to a coffee shop later and get to readin. Stay comfy frens

>>16114154
Glad to hear. It's a great book

>> No.16114488

>>16114453
Have you already read Demons and The Idiot?

>> No.16114541

>>16113560
by foucault?

>> No.16114589
File: 40 KB, 320x500, 51-S42chzOL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16113464
>last read
The Norman Conquest. Popular account but a good introduction and contained an extensive scholarly bibliography that I will eventually get to.

>current
The Public Burning. Genuinely some of the most inventive and well-written fiction I've ever read. Scathingly satirical but also leaps beyond that to become genuinely moving at times. Coover's got serious linguistic pyrotechnics.

>next
Don't know yet. Maybe the Federalist Papers. I'm a generalist.

>> No.16114598

>>16114488
I have not, Brothers was my first Dosto.
I was later told it's better to read his other works before BK, but it's too late now and I still enjoyed it anyways.
Hoping to get through all of his main works before the end of the year

>> No.16114615

Rhinoceros & Other Plays by Eugene Ionesco
A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway
Not sure.

>> No.16114679
File: 173 KB, 600x519, popup[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lucky Jim
J R
Europe Central

I want to knock out a few beastly American postmodern tomes before classes start and I have far less free time

>>16114589
I was turned off trying out The Public Burning because people keep relating it to Trump. Would that be a distraction, or is that way off base?
>>16114339
>Life on a Little Known Planet: A Biologist's View of Insects and Their World by Howard Ensign Evans.
that sounds super interesting anon. if you're interested in stuff like Lewis Carroll and have a taste for technical subjects, you might be interested in Ratner's Star by Don Delillo
>>16114099
Agony of Power is good, but Why Hasn't Everything Already Disappeared? and The Intelligence of Evil are prime final-stage Baudrillard
>>16113552
A Rebours by J.K. Huysmans is a classic moral decadence novel

>> No.16114767

>>16114679
>I was turned off trying out The Public Burning because people keep relating it to Trump. Would that be a distraction, or is that way off base?

Everyone wants to see their contemporary politics in political satire. The truth is Coover has a bone to pick with everyone, government, media, citizen, society. I actually find it a lot more fitting to substitute Nixon for Kamala Harris and Eisenhower for Biden. You can't go wrong reading it, trust me

>> No.16114782

>>16113464
Hentai doujins

>> No.16114900

I want to read Faust next but don't know what translation to get. Any suggestions?

>> No.16114937

Harassment Architecture, Confessions of a Mask, History of Neoliberalism
Keyne's General Theory and Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath.

Keynes is taking me a long ass time but I'm part of a discussion group for it which is helping. Steinbeck is great.
No idea. Have an assload of books to look at. Probably either Collapse of Complex Societies by Joseph Tainter or something by Hyman Minsky.

Fiction-wise, I want to read the Sandman and Transmetropolitan comic series.

>> No.16114951

>>16113464
The Remains of the Day, by Kazuo Ishiguro
American Pastoral, by Philip Roth
Either Midnight’s Children, by Salman Rushdie, or Under the Net, by Iris Murdoch. I’ll read both of them of course, it’s just a matter of which package arrives sooner. After I’m done with them I’ll probably read this Coetzee book I have on Dostoyevsky, and from there whatever I find in my local library that looks good pretty much.

>> No.16115293 [DELETED] 

bump

>> No.16115324

>>16113464
The entire Rabbit series by Updike
Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard
I'm open for suggestions. I bought The Island of Sakhalin by Chekhov and I'm reading it pretty slowly. I'd like some magical realism but as far as I know, I've read all of the good authors in that genre.

>> No.16115356
File: 218 KB, 855x1360, 71yL+WVaoqL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16113464
No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai (didn't like it).
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami as well as picrel.
Uh probably The Idea of the Holy by Rudolf Otto.

>> No.16115366
File: 221 KB, 768x865, 05e60e9cf7d6ff9b5d1ae140a6018419.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>16114679
Oh thanks, Anon! The book's from 1968, so it's interesting both in its subject matter and historical perspective. It's a fascinating read, the author really sheds a lot of light on the quiet field of entomology. I did get a little freaked out when he dedicated the last chapters of the book to talking about how we're rapidly descending into a suburban hellscape that will leave clueless suburbanites in charge of most of the country and how this will be but one symptom of a civilizational death spiral...

But, uh, the bugs were neat. I picked up lots of interesting concepts for a setting I'm working on in which insects adopt a religion and build a civilization similar to 16th century Europe.

Ratner's Star sounds interesting! I'll read about it a bit and might pick it up, thanks for the suggestion!