[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 72 KB, 500x375, 1297396164685.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1610002 No.1610002 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/
I have a university interview coming up shortly for a "Creative and Professional Writing" course (I know it'll be mostly bullshit, it's more for having a degree rather than actually learning anything poignant).

They have requested 2 short pieces of example work from me but have not said anything past this meaning I can choose whatever I want to do, I was wondering /lit/, what do you think would be the best genres of writing I could present to them to best show my ability and how deep I am because they love that shit, this could be anything from reviews to short stories.

>> No.1610007

Genre merely means you confine yourself to some timeperiod and/or place. Write a non-genre piece.

If you hit, to some degree, all three of the persuade, inform, entertain trinity you should be doing okay.

>> No.1610013

dont quote faggy underageb& stuff like anything modern, just lie about how many classics you have read

>> No.1610026

>>1610002
she probably spent an hour preparing for that photo, only to convey that just doesnt care

fucking hipsters man

>> No.1610040

Shit guys my bad, the "Creative and Professional Writing" interview isn't coming up for a while and they specified what they wanted

I actually meant a "Journalism and Creative Writing" joint honours course interview, so they could want anything from an Interview, book/film/music review or a piece of imaginative writing.

I'll have to do an imaginitive piece but what should i write for the Journalistic side

>> No.1610043

>>1610040
A journalistic piece.

>> No.1610055
File: 72 KB, 542x562, 1297798462353.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1610043
Very witty
Pic related

>> No.1610062

>>1610040
On the journalistic side write about a drug filled day of reporting on a subject.

>> No.1610065

>>1610055
This is the level of wit a homework thread deserves.

How about you write about how pedos are really just misunderstood.

>> No.1610066

>>1610062
That's pretty meta, I like it

>> No.1610078

For the journalistic piece you should write the same article from the perspective of a red top (tabloid) journalist and a newspaper like the Daily Mail.

Don't really wanna do your kinda homework for you but an interesting thing to explore would be their use of the words 'tragic' and 'tragedy'

The red tops use it seriously, e.g. Tragedy as 11 killed. The more serious newspapers use it ironically. 'tragedy as gnome stolen from Chelsea Flower Show' etc

>> No.1610080

For the journalistic piece you should write the same article from the perspective of a red top (tabloid) journalist and a newspaper like the Daily Mail.

Don't really wanna do your kinda homework for you but an interesting thing to explore would be their use of the words 'tragic' and 'tragedy'

The red tops use it seriously, e.g. Tragedy as 11 killed. The more serious newspapers use it ironically. 'tragedy as gnome stolen from Chelsea Flower Show' etc

>> No.1610084

>>1610078
This is actually a pretty good idea, it shows analytical skills as well as creative skills

>> No.1610085

>>1610002

Write about anything you're passionate about, just write it well. If you try to confine yourself to what you think they want, but something you have no interest in, you'll stifle your own individual abilities and creativity.

They will be judging you on your style, not your content. Universities look for visionaries, not drones.

However, if you lack even the most basic imagination and ingenuity to formulate your own ideas, perhaps it isn't the best course for you.

>> No.1610092

>Journalism
>Journalistic side

Here's a hint from an expert:

>"Literary newspapers, since they print the daily smatterings of commonplace people, are especially a cunning means for robbing from the aesthetic public the time which should be devoted to the genuine productions of art for the furtherance of culture."

>"A great number of bad authors eke out their existence entirely by the foolishness of the public, which only will read what has just been printed. I refer to journalists, who have been appropriately so-called. In other words, it would be “day labourer.”

>"Journalists are like dogs, when ever anything moves they begin to bark"

-Arthur Schopenhauer

>> No.1610096

>>1610085
Well originally I was going to do a review of my current favourite album but i wasn't sure how much they would like reading my pretencious review of my hipster album

>> No.1610105

>>1610092
>expert

you're a student, fuck off.
Journalism is important.

>> No.1610109

>>1610105
Journalism is important. It allows us to know world events. I think what he's getting at is the general journo. You know, the faggot who writes up populist garbage in order to sell papers.

>> No.1610110
File: 13 KB, 281x318, gadaffi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1610109
>the faggot who writes up populist garbage in order to sell papers.
all of them?

>> No.1610116

>>1610096

If you have a genuine knowledge of scene and you can write it in an objective and unpretentious way that doesn't just come across as mindless hero worship, you should give it a shot.

Study other full album reviews though before you write it so you can get an idea of structure and necessary content to avoid pointless rambling.

>> No.1610119

>>1610110
What if I make my own newspaper where I only write 2deep4u articles no one but myself would understand and then sell it with a honesty-box pricing model where people pay what they want but all the money made gets donated to save the dolphins anyway