[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 209 KB, 786x1113, Jacques_Ellul,_1990_(cropped).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16064672 No.16064672 [Reply] [Original]

>believed in universal salvation for all independent of action
>believed that the bible did away with morality entirely
>believed that Christ was an anarchist
>disliked commies yes, but also disliked fascists and nationalists
>despised catholicism
I've seen a lot of right-wingers and tradcaths talk about this guy, but it seems like none of them read any of his books. Ellul is basically a modern day Luther as far as I can tell, but even more radical. Why do nazis and tradfags talk about him? He was opposed to everything they stand for.

>> No.16064681

>>16064672
Because he inspired le based Ted

>> No.16064767

>>16064681
Ted is also against fascism and religious institutions though

>> No.16064818

>>16064767
I think some right-wingers like Ted because of his critique of the modern liberals in his manifesto, but obviously simply critiquing them doesn't mean one is rightwing. I read the beginning of Ted's manifesto as a left-wing critique of neoliberalism. I don't consider Ted a serious thinker or really worthy of much consideration. And it's really difficult to see to what extent Ellul influenced him since him and Ellul disagree agree on way more stuff than they have in common. I think Ellul is a much more serious thinker. Ted K was just someone driven mad and murderous by neoliberalism.

>> No.16064840

>>16064672
>>believed that the bible did away with morality entirely
I agree, if you are saved by faith in jesus christ, then morality is irrelivant.

>> No.16064855

>>16064672
>believed that the bible did away with morality entirely
How?

>> No.16064862

>>16064672
>>believed in universal salvation for all independent of action
>>believed that the bible did away with morality entirely
>>believed that Christ was an anarchist
>>disliked commies yes, but also disliked fascists and nationalists
>>despised catholicism
What sort of a retard believes this?

>> No.16064890

>>16064818
That and project mkultra Dr. Murray harvard psychology department, modernization theory, talcott parsons, cybernetics and general semantics, an whitehead's ends of education, this sounds suspiciously like a program for what would be known today as general artificial intelligence. Who is to say harvard isnt hp lovecrafts miskatonic university, all the epsteins and dershowitzes and pinkers and summers

>> No.16064904

>>16064855
From what I understand, he thought that the exhortation to "not judge" meant that morality is abolished among humans. And he mentions something like trying to understand why people act the way they do instead of judging them. Almost reminds me of some Marxist strains of thought that state that people commit crimes and such because of their environment and lack of material resources, and not because of something in them.

>> No.16064922

Elluls theology was retarded. His books on propaganda and technique were great.

>> No.16064939

>>16064922
This is the position I'm coming to as well. It's hard for me to take him seriously as a theologian but I do think some of his socio-political commentary is spot on.

>> No.16066618

His stuff about technique isn't even that great. Sure, he's right about a lot of things, but like the vast majority of luddites he blames bad technology on wiping your own ass.