[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 279 KB, 836x848, Dschuang-Dsi-Schmetterlingstraum-Zhuangzi-Butterfly-Dream-resized.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
16053207 No.16053207 [Reply] [Original]

>Duke Ai of Lu consulted with Confucius, saying, "There's this ugly man in Wei named Horse Humpback. When men are with him, they can think of nothing else and find themselves unable to depart. When women see him, they plead with their parents, saying they would rather be this man's concubine than any other man's wife - this has happened at least a dozen times already! And yet he's never been heard to initiate anything of his own with them, instead just chiming in with whatever they're already doing. He has no position of power with which to protect their lives and no stash of wealth with which to fill their stomachs, and on top of that he's ugly enough to startle all the world. He chimes in with them instead of presenting anything new of his own, his understanding is limited to his immediate surroundings, and yet the men and women converge around him. I figured he must have something special, so I called him to my court to take a look at him. He was indeed ugly enough to astonish all the world. It took a few weeks before I could see him as actually human. But after a few months, I started to trust him. My state had no prime minister, so I offered the post to him. Looking trapped and put upon, he was vague and evasive when he finally responded, seeming to reject the idea. I was embarrassed, but in the end I prevailed upon him to accept control of the state. But before long he had left me and vanished. I was terribly depressed, as if a loved one had died, unable to take any pleasure in my power. What kind of man is this?"
Well, /lit/?

>> No.16053249

Zhuangzi is based desu but it's really repetitive, all the vignettes have the same message over and over and over and over and over again

>> No.16053271

>>16053207
It's 4chan? Extremely ugly, but you can't quit.

>> No.16053313

>>16053207
>It took a few weeks before I could see him as actually human.