[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 159 KB, 952x629, Irishman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15983346 No.15983346 [Reply] [Original]

Whats a good book about Irish mythology

>> No.15983393

>>15983346
Bump

>> No.15983490
File: 157 KB, 1400x2100, 0FB7B564-864A-45C4-997E-F9A30188670B.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.15983784

>>15983346
>how we have to make deals with magic figures to dont starve on any winter because we're to dumb to understand agriculture
that's it

>> No.15983850

>>15983346
The Big Book of Reddit

>> No.15983857

none. irish theology is bad.
just read ossian.

>> No.15984060

>>15983346
gods and fighting men by lady gregory
the mammoth book of celtic mythology

>> No.15984154

Copied from a anons threwd about writing his own Epic Poetry

I'm using a lot of them. What I did mainly was downloading all of Gutenberg's books on irish mythology and near subject. I've read a lot and have a lot to read, but I'll give you some names:

I'm using The High Deeds of Finn and other Bardic Romances - T.W.Rolleston for my poem (following his telling of the tale)

I'm reading the Lebor Feasa Runda, which you can find on the Internet Archive. This book is almost certainly a forgery (I believe it is, but dunno, and if it is not?), so its account on druidism may be somewhat equivocated, but I believe there is a lot of truth in it and, if you want to read about the irish mythologycal cicle, it is glorious. The story told on the Lebor Feasa Runda is correct, just compare with other sources

I introduced myself in irish mythology reading a little book I can't recall the name, but anyway, it was very simple and doesn't deserve quotation on our thread. The first book of irish mythology I've read, which is great, is Cuchulain, The Hound of Ulster (The Boys Cuchulain) of Eleanor Hull. I've also read The Táin of Thomas Kinsella

I'll be frank with you, researching Irish Mythology for me, with the means I have, has been full of result but, at the same time, difficult, because I have to read a lot of books to get the full scope, since I can't seem to find a big boi who tells all of the mythology in a one shot. But I'll give you some more names:

The Ancient Irish Epic Tale Tain Bo Cuailnge - Joseph Dunn

The Cattle-raid of Cualnge - L.W.Faraday (one of the guys who worked on translating the Edda)

Celtic Fairy Tales - Joseph Jacobs

Celtic Folklore: Welsh and Manx I & II - John Rhys

The Celtic Twilight - W.B. Yeats (not so much on mythology, tho)

Celtic Religion/ in Pre-Christian times - E. Anwyl

Celtic Literature - Matthew Arnold

Fairies and Folk of Ireland - William Henry Frost

The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries - W. Y. Evans-Wentz

The Glories of Ireland - Joseph Dunn (for actual history and understandment of the Irish people

Heroic Romances of Ireland - Arthur Herbert Leahy

Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland - Jeremiah Curtin (I highly recommend that one)

Myths & Legends of the Celtic Race (idem)

The Religion of the Ancient Celts - J. A. Mac Culloch

The Poem-book of the Gael - Eleanor Hull (some poetry to entertain ye)

But those are a mvast gama of books. You are wanting to begin in it, so save this response of mine somewhere. If you want me to say something with which you can start, I'd give you:

Legendary Heroes of Ireland - Harold F. Hughes

The Táin - Thomas Kinsella

These two are MARVELLOUS, and will get you started.

>> No.15984191

>>15983857
>ossian
No one ever explained to me if he's a translator or a more original poet.

>> No.15984200

>>15984154
Interesting, thanks anon!

>> No.15984509

>>15983346
Ulysses

>> No.15984640

Just watch a load of Rubberbandits videos on YouTube