[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 59 KB, 400x400, archaeology-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1594748 No.1594748 [Reply] [Original]

Alright, I looked over the recommendations and I didn't see anything that directly applied to archaeology. I need some help /lit/. I'm looking for books that will set me on a good path to understanding archaeology theory, method, and write-up.

It's weird, I got a four year B.S. in anthro. with minors in Classics and archaeology. I was fine in undergraduate, but as soon as I hit gradschool it's like they're trying to tell me I don't know shit about archaeology. Also, I have field experience and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) experience. Maybe it's just because my school focuses too much on identity...I have no clue. I've already read both editions of Bruce Trigger's "A History of Archaeological Thought". Can anyone help me with recommendations? Thanks...

>> No.1594856

Da nanana Da na na.
Da nanana da na na NA NA NA
Da nanana NANANA
NANANA NANANA NA NAAAAAA

>> No.1594903

>>1594856
I thought this was /lit/erature and not /mu/sic

>> No.1594912

go find all the treasure listed on the copper scroll

>> No.1594925

>>1594912
wut?

>> No.1594940

Awesome!

Can't actually help you, but perhaps you can help me: are there any jobs whatsoever for archaeologists? Originally wanted to go to grad school for history, but the thought of existing solely in an academic setting is depressing to me. I was considering going to grad school for anthropology but not sure if I can even get work afterwards. Thoughts?

>> No.1594943

>>1594940
When I say any jobs whatsoever, what I really mean to say is are there any jobs for a person who won't be doing grad in an ivy league.

>> No.1594952

fuck yeah whipping women weird barbaric indians eating plates of offal retarded rastafarian aliens

Lucas does not pull any punches when it comes to solid family value entertainment

>> No.1594954

>>1594940
To be perfectly frank, I have no idea. I went to a non-Ivy League undergraduate and now I'm at a top 10 school in England (although the top 10 bit is debated). Prior to coming here I had a job doing research with GIS and database management. Job options in archaeology, as with any field, is dependent on your interests merging with what the field believes it needs. So, how much do you enjoy digital technologies and synthesis? You're on 4Chan so I'm going to guess you computers a bit. Do tell.

>> No.1594957

>>1594952
I was hoping for something a bit more academic than that...

>> No.1595003

>>1594954
Unfortunately, I don't know that much about computer technology at all- but if it could get me into a school then I will endeavor to learn it. I'm majoring in History and minoring in Anthropology and finishing it up in December which is why I ask. So you're saying I should join the army and mark up some maps?

>> No.1595006

>>1595003
Are you already in the Army? I see no reason to join...

>> No.1595010

>>1595003
>should I join the army to learn something?

lol no

>> No.1595013

>>1595006
Not in the army, sorry for the confusion. I just mention that because it sounds like this GIS is what my acquaintance (Geography major) was taught and that it's extremely useful in the army.

>> No.1595017

Mike Parker Pearson - Death and Burial

Chris Stringer - Homo Britanicus

Chris Scarre - Human Past

Renfrew and Bahn - Archaeology: Theories, Methods and Practices

Those are off the top of my head, I can dig through some of my reading lists if you're interested in one particular area

>> No.1595030

>but as soon as I hit gradschool it's like they're trying to tell me I don't know shit about archaeology

Hey OP... if you're still around, keep in mind that

(1) There's often a class that's built to rape people in first year and induce this feeling
(2) You might be feeling less confident because you're around smarter people now. Don't worry, they feel the same way.

That said, of course you should still try to do some more reading on archaeology.

>> No.1595032

>>1595017
Basically I feel like, after getting to graduate school, I've suddenly forgotten how to write adequate papers. So, if you happen to have any books detailing how to properly write a paper that would be most helpful. Even when I use journal articles as templates my professors seem to find issues with my writing. Then again, part of this might be due to my personal oddities compounded with the fact I'm American, but in the English system. What system are you in if you don't mind me asking?

More of my interests are in the application of GIS. Any books you have detailing GIS studies would also be helpful. I need something more than Wheatley and Gillings' "Spatial Technology and Archaeology"

>> No.1595049

>>1595030
I agree that there's generally one class like that in the first year for people working within a two-year program, but mine is only one. To be honest, I've actually dropped out of the program recently for a variety of issues, not least of which is this. However, I am still looking to understand archaeology more thoroughly. There are some aspects which I kind of feel I might have been falling down on and would like to improve.

I've sought to rectify my issues by reading more and acquiring more knowledge. Right now I'm looking for GIS to take over the summer in the US (preferably campus-based). I might even seek to get a certificate next year in GIS. During that time I'm going to study for the GRE so I can apply to a real graduate program. Any other ideas?

>> No.1595064

>>1595032

Luckily for you I'm going a Geophys module this year, let me dig through some of the readings to see if there are any good ones in there. However, I am drunk and very drunk, so copy paste it is.

Ainsworth, S. & Thomason, B. 2003 Where on earth are we? The Global Positioning System (GPS) in archaeological field survey (Swindon: English Heritage) (Ps. 3-10) (available from www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/guidelines-and-standards)

Ainsworth, S.; Bowden, M.; McOmish, D. & Pearson, T. 2007 Understanding the Archaeology of Landscapes: a guide to good recording practice (Swindon: English Heritage) (Ps. 6-14) (available from www.english-heritage.org.uk/ publications/guidelines-and-standards)

Böniger, U. & Tronicke, J. 2010 Improving the interpretability of 3D GPR data using target-specific attributes: application to tomb detection (Journal of Archaeological Science 37: 672-679)

Bowden, M. 2002 With alidade and tape: graphical and plane table survey of archaeological earthworks (Swindon: English Heritage) (Ps 7-12)
(available from www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/guidelines-and-standards)

Crutchley, S. 2010 The Light Fantastic: using airborne lidar in archaeological survey (Swindon: English Heritage) (particularly part 1: 3-14) (available from www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/guidelines-and-standards)

>> No.1595067

>>1595049

Not really, I'm a PhD student but not in your field.

(1) If your application involves a writing sample, edit the hell out of it. Then get a professor to read it. Then edit the hell out of it again. And repeat until you run out of people you know, at which point start asking strangers or your university's writing center.

(2) Start studying for the GRE now. Those cunts want ~$200 for the test and ~$20 for every additional score report, so you don't want to mess it up and blow a bunch of money on a retake (Canadian prices).

(3) I don't think reading about archaeology will really help your writing (but like I said, I'm not an archaeologist). Writing well is hard, and standards go up in grad school. Getting specific advice from the professors who disliked your work is probably best.

>> No.1595086

It's also really weird considering I went from having a 3.525 GPA (4.0 scale) in undergrad to getting a 51, 56, 63, and 59 on my papers (the only four grades I got for the whole term). I should mention that the grading scale is 0 to 100, but anything above a 70 is considered publishable where anything below a 50 is failing. I feel like my GPA in undergrad shows that I should be getting grades ranging from 66-70 at least.

I've had several friends review my work and tell me that they think it's good. I've done everything short of asking professors to look at my work because they always come off as being unhelpful and distant. Even in my review meetings, after I've gotten my papers back, all they can tell me is, "I know you can do better than this". I know I can do better than the grades they are giving me.

I really feel that they are giving me these grades most of the time and they aren't what I've earned. I have a meeting later on this week to discuss withdrawing from the course completely or just withdrawing until next year.

While these issues have spured me to read more in an attempt to become more knowledgeable about archaeology I feel that it is also just a good idea in general to take the free time I now have to learn more about the field I wish to go into.

>> No.1595121

>>1595064
Thanks for all the information. If you have anymore I'd be much appreciative. Good to see the Crutchley work is on there as I just met him in person at Oxford during a one day practical course on LiDAR.

>>1595067
If you don't mind me asking, what are you getting a PhD in? I'm just asking because it seems relevant.

Re. 1: Yeah, that's exactly what I did for applying to get here. I also toured several other schools.

Re. 2: I've got several books on it an intend to start studying as soon as I get back to the States.

Re. 3: Yeah, I've really noticed that it's gotten well harder. Thanks for the advice about going to the professor that seemed to enjoy my work the least, but even when I do that here they tend to tell me really vague things like "Your paper isn't organized how I would organize it" or "You could use more archaeological examples and theory". Yet, I cite over 10 inscriptions and three theorists in my paper of roughly 5,000 words. Sometimes I just feel like they have issues with me being American...I don't know.

>> No.1595125

>>1595064
>>1595017
Do you mind me asking if you are an undergraduate or graduate student?

>> No.1595159

>>1595121

I'm in philosophy.

It sounds like your professors aren't that good at giving advice, and there might be differences in style between British and American archaeology. I'm just guessing, though.

If they are being vague, you just need to press them (you might have done this, but just in case):

>Your paper isn't organized how I would organize it

So then ask, how should I have organized it? Then write that down. Then ask, how does this organization make my paper better? Then write that down. etc.

>You could use more archaeological examples and theory

"I was trying to prove that X and I gave evidence Y, which, according to my argument Z, was sufficient to prove that X. Why do I need more examples?"

I assume that archaeological examples are evidence, might be totally off though. You see what I mean though, hopefully.

>> No.1595166

Chamberlain, A.T.; Sellars, W.; Proctor, C & Coard, R. 2000 Cave detection in Limestone using Ground Penetrating Radar (Journal of Archaeological Science 27: 957-964)
(available from ScienceDirect through the library ejournal collection)

Chapman, H. & van de Noort, R. 2001 High-resolution wetland prospection using GPS and GIS: landscape studies at Sutton Common (South Yorkshire) and Meare village east (Somerset) (Journal of Archaeological Science 28: 365-375)

Chapman, H.; Adcock, J. & Gater, J. 2009 An approach to mapping buried prehistoric palaeosols of the Atlantic seaboard in Northwest Europe using GPR, geoarchaeology and GIS and the implications for heritage management (Journal of Archaeological Science 36: 2308-2313)

David, A.; Linford, N. & Linford, P. 2008 Geophysical survey in archaeological field evaluation (Swindon: English Heritage) (Part 4: Ps. 19-40)
(available from www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/guidelines-and-standards)

Doolittle, J. A. & Bellantoni, N. F. 2010 The search for graves with ground-penetrating radar in Connecticut (Journal of Archaeological Science 37: 941-949)

English Heritage n.d. The presentation of historic building survey in CAD (Swindon: English Heritage) (particularly ps. 2-3 & 11-12)

Entwistle, J.; McCaffrey, K. & Abrahams, P. 2009 Three-dimensional (3D) visualisation: the application of terrestrial laser scanning in the investigation of historical Scottish farming townships (Journal of Archaeological Science 36: 860-866)

>> No.1595173

Forte, E. & Pipan, M. 2008 Integrated seismic tomography and ground-penetrating radar (GPR) for the high-resolution study of burial mounds (tumuli) (Journal of Archaeological Science 35: 2614-2623)

Gallo, D.; Ciminale, M.; Becker, H. & Masini, N. 2009 Remote sensing techniques for reconstructing a vast Neolithic settlement in Southern Italy (Journal of Archaeological Science 36: 43-50)

Hey, G. & Lacey, M. 2001 Evaluation of archaeological decision-making processes and sampling strategies (Oxford: Oxford Archaeology Unit) (particularly part 3: 14-33) (available from www.planarch.org/downloads/library/eval_of_arch_decision-making .pdf)

Johnson, G. 1998 Archaeology and forestry in Ireland (particularly chapter 1: Identifying and protecting archaeological sites) (Kilkenny: The Heritage Council)
(www.heritagecouncil.ie/publications/archforest/newcontent.html)

King, J. (ed.) 2006 Understanding historic buildings: a guide to good recording practice (Swindon: English Heritage)

Lerma, J.J.; Navarro, S.; Cabrelles, M. & Villaverde, V. 2010 Terrestrial laser scanning and close range photogrammetry for 3D archaeological documentation: the Upper Palaeolithic cave of Parpallo as a case study (Journal of Archaeological Science 37: 499-507)

Linford, N. & Martin, L. 2007 Shelford Manor, Shelford, Nottinghamshire: report on geophysical survey October/November 2007 (Swindon: English Heritage) (available at services.english-heritage.org.uk/ResearchReportsPdfs/031_2008WEB.pdf)

Strutt, K. & Johnson, P. 2005 Leffinge Area, West Flanders: geophysical survey report February 2005 (Report No. SREP 5/2005 Archaeological Prospection Services of Southampton) (Southampton: University of Southampton) (available at www. planarch.org/downloads/library/vioe_geophysics_report_leffinge0423.6.05.pdf)

>> No.1595179

>>1595125

Undergrad in final year

>> No.1595212

>>1595159
Philosophy, good! Considering how much archaeology, among...well humanity, relies on philosophy it's good to know that you're reading this. Seriously, after just reading two theory books I'm pretty damn excited.

There are indeed some differences between British and American archaeology. I was hoping to bridge those differences, but it appears it might be a bit too much for me.

Thanks for the confirmation that I should press for answers though. That's really comforting to know that's what I should be doing. Sometimes I felt like I was using hand-grenades to kill bunnies though.

Indeed, from my understanding that's how archaeology, not to mention any logical argument, is suppose to work. But, this paper was on identity so the details, or logical fashion, of the paper might have gotten a bit muddled. Then again, when I read it and other people read it they all agreed that it sounded like most other identity focused papers. I'll keep this in mind though for future reference.

This is going to sound really dumb, but you wouldn't happen to have any recommendations books, websites, etc. that are good at helping people become better writers and possibly get to the graduate school level. After writing so much in undergraduate I feel a bit ashamed that my grades are so low now.

>> No.1595221

>>1595179
>>1595173
>>1595166
Thank you for all of that. Really, very helpful!

>>1594903
Ah, going onto graduate school next year?

>> No.1595233

GIS? I'LL INTERPOLATE THE FUCK RIGHT OUT OF YOUR POINT DATA AND YOU'LL BE KNEE DEEP IN SURFACES.

>> No.1595243

>>1595212

Last post because I'm heading out. Good luck, though.

>books/websites

Not really, I'm very sorry :(. I have to say that all my improvement has come from working closely with professors- getting beaten down and then learning, by getting specific advice from them, on how to do better. Of course, this is hard to pull off with your current profs if you don't have very good relationships with them. Maybe get in touch with your undergrad profs- show them your current work, but demand that they evaluate it with higher standards, the same standards they hold their own work up to.

If I have any general advice, it is just about having zero tolerance for error: every word, every sentence. Everything absolutely clear, everything indisputable. If the reader can ever hesitate and be confused for any reason, you've made an error.

Final remark: When you apply to programs in the future, they usually say "give us ALL of your past transcripts". Which will, I guess, include what's happening to you right now. Your future transcripts will look better if you tough it out here and improve and get good letters or rec rather than if you have a bunch of bad grades and then withdrawals and no degree.

Also, despite your low percentages, keep in mind those wacky British grading systems. 2.1 and suchlike. Might not look as bad as you think it does.

>> No.1595249
File: 38 KB, 396x648, the fountainhead.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1595291

>>1595233
Please, do go on.

>>1595243
For what it's worth. Thanks! Also...I should mention, again I guess, that I've essentially dropped out of the program. I just have to decide if that's total withdrawal or just until next year. I guess what you're also saying is that I should come back next year regardless. Some of the professors (two it appears) have said that they will write me good recommendations since I finished two of my modules (2/4). So, I guess you're saying a degree with bad grades is still a degree.

>> No.1595377

the copper scroll, part of the dead sea scrolls, contains a list of locations of mad money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_scroll

i mean, what else would anyone possible do with a degree in anthropology with an archeo minor. drop classics, add middle east studies and go hunting

>> No.1595533

anymore thoughts?

>> No.1596445

bump for longevity