[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 537 KB, 2633x1539, options.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15941524 No.15941524 [Reply] [Original]

I started with the Greeks a while ago and now I'm at a point in which I think it appropriate to read the historians. At the same time, although I've been enjoying the Greeks thus far, I want to diversify my palate and read authors from other time periods intermittently. After some thinking, I've decided on picking between Histories, Don Quixote, and Crime and Punishment. How much knowledge of the Bible should I have prior to reading Crime and Punishment? I'm intimidated by the size of Don Quixote somewhat, though I've been told it's page turner and I'm intrigued by what others have said about the story and its humor. I want to read Histories not only to continue with the Greeks but also because I haven't read non-fiction in a while apart from a few books of the Bible (and yes, I'm aware that Herodotus is not the most reliable of the ancient historians, but it's a start). Where do I go from here?

>> No.15941548
File: 72 KB, 391x596, How-to-Read-a-Book-by-Mortimer-J-Adler-and-Charles-Van-Doren.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh no.... did you unironically skip the Egyptians and Mesopotamians, go back and correct it while you still can

>> No.15941551

>>15941524
All good choices, continue on with all three of them. You don't need any knowledge of the Bible to enjoy Crime and Punishment, especially if you get a version with notes. Maybe read the Lazarus story in John, that's all I could suggest.

>> No.15941565

>histories
shit, don't bother

>crime and punishment
>don quixote
good books.

>How much knowledge of the Bible should I have prior to reading Crime and Punishment?
iirc, the story of Lazarus and the Anointing of Jesus (particular reference to Mary Magdalene), covered in the Gospel of Luke.

>I'm intimidated by the size of Don Quixote
You don't need to read it straight through. Have it as like a secondary read. (Read a few chapters of Don Quixote then read a complete novel, and go back and forth).

>Where do I go from here?
Read Crime & Punishment at the very least. Read a few chapters of Don Quixote, then report back. Don't plan out too far ahead what you want to read, because that list will only end up distracting you.

>> No.15941568
File: 23 KB, 324x500, synth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

>> No.15941607

>>15941565
>You don't need to read it straight through. Have it as like a secondary read. (Read a few chapters of Don Quixote then read a complete novel, and go back and forth).
This is how I read it. Great book, well worth its size.

>> No.15941642

>>15941524
>I'm aware that Herodotus is not the most reliable of the ancient historians
Were you there? Seriously though Herodotus is not as unreliable as academia of today claim. Just a few years ago they thought the great ziguret wasn't real. And then a black tablet was found confirming it.
And Herodotus even says that his sources are just second hand knowledge. The Histories are different from any other history in that a portion of each chapter is basically "sit down and let me tell you about the time x did something wild". It's good, and it makes modern historians butt hurt for some reason that he is so often right despite it just being stories passed down in some cases

You should read it at some point.

>>15941565
>don't bother
Thucydides go cry in the corner like the butt hurt low life you are

>> No.15941688

How is Histories structured?Is it broken down into small parts,can you read it bit by bit or is it something fluid?

>> No.15941753

>>15941688
You can read bit by bit. Most of the book is not related to the Greco Persian war.
Think of it as the author providing back story and going off on tangents regularly. The book starts with the story of the king of Lydia having a guard watch his wife strip. Then he hits Egypt's history, the scythians etc. You'll get a sorta tour of the ancient world before getting to the actual war like 7 books in or something

>> No.15942509
File: 52 KB, 700x700, CC4051A9-FFDB-4BC6-905D-7B8389523CAD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15941524
>I started with the Greeks
You actually fell for the meme lmao read what you want pseud

>> No.15943219

>>15942509
>didn’t start either the Greeks

Why live?

>> No.15943400

Herodotus is a great read. Lots of entertaining stories.

>> No.15944096

>>15941524
I think reading Ariosto and Tasso would be helpful for contextualizing Don Quixote.

>> No.15944286

Imagine getting filtered by Herodotus
>b-but there are no giant golddigger ants in India
yes there are
fuck you

>> No.15946287

>>15941568
Faggot