[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 243 KB, 328x499, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15935103 No.15935103 [Reply] [Original]

>be me
>want to start with the greeks
>be casually talking with an uncle
>show him my reading list
>gets told I'm crazy for wanting to read Herodotus' Histories
>he also mocks me for reading Crime and Punishment instead of The Idiot (I took this as an insult desu)
>recommends me pic related
Let's get straight to the point, /lit/. He told me Spengler wrote about math in this book (I'm from STEM) but do I need any background in history, or literature (Faust?), to tackle this? I'm aware he talked about Caesarism and shit and the only think I know about Roman history is that Caesar BTFO the Republic.

>> No.15935120

>>15935103
Yeah you should at least have an understanding of Faust and Roman history before reading any of the Conservative Revolutionaries.

>> No.15935991

>>15935103
>do I need any background in history, or literature (Faust?)
No, not really.
I would say you only need a background understanding of Nietzsche.
If you don't understand Spengler's references to various architectural structures or artworks (like those of Rembrandt, for example), you can always just google them and learn as you're going through.
Also the part about mathematics is boring as fuck, and it is more about the metaphysical importance of numbers for the ancient Greeks, as opposed to some kind of mathematical formulas that you would find in Wittgenstein.

>> No.15937325

>>15935103
Read Guenon(pbuh). Calculus is evil and wrong