[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 12 KB, 250x361, davidfosterwallace.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1591988 No.1591988 [Reply] [Original]

Where should I start with David Foster Wallace?

I hear he's quite difficult to read. Has anyone got any experience with his stuff? Has anyone here read Infinite Jest? Is it worth an entry-level reader's time or should I 'build up' to it and carry on with my entry-level stuff?

>> No.1591993

"A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again" - series of essays. Cogent and hilarious.

>> No.1592000

Just start with Infinite Jest, and if it's too hard or anything, just drop it and try again another time.

I'm currently reading Infinite Jest, it's crazy.

>> No.1592012

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men is hilarious but there are a couple chapters that are a little difficult to get through
it was my first (and only so far) David Foster Wallace book and i really enjoyed it

>> No.1592222

If you find infinite Jest to much at the moment try some of his non-fiction it's a lot more accessible.
Was reading consider the Lobster today (collection of his journalism). His review of a Dostoevsky biography got me exited and made me want to read more Dostoevsky and more Wallace.
As I said if you can't get into the Infinite Jest try this and go back to Infinite Jest at a later date.

>> No.1592236

Nonfiction