[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 88 KB, 1200x676, apu famiry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15917189 No.15917189 [Reply] [Original]

What's your favorite book of the Bible?

>> No.15917208
File: 56 KB, 640x457, 8sn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Isaiah has some of the most beautiful poetry and prophecies but I don't think you can fully appreciate it until after reading the historical books

I haven't gotten to the New Testament yet but I'm excited to find out about this Jesus guy

>> No.15917224

>>15917208
i don't want to spoil anything for you, but the ending is kino.

>> No.15917237

Ecclesiastes is the only one that is sort of alright, still not worth it.

>> No.15917383

>>15917189
Idk, but lately I've really loved Samuel. You have the first half where God is telling his people that having a king will be a bad idea, but they don't listen and he eventually gives in and make Saul king. He predictably turns out to be a terrible king and starts leading the people away from God. Then David, one of the most based guys to ever live, waltzes in and causes a bunch of problems for Saul because everyone loves him so much. Culminating in him dodging the kings assassination attempts with his wily antics. Even puling off the world's first switcheroo where he stuffs his bed and fools the men Saul sends

10/10 book

>> No.15917390

Ecclesiastes is my favorite so far. Finished the Pentateuch, Job, and Ecc.
Going to read Ezekiel and Daniel before starting John because I want to read Jesus but thought those books would be good background.

>> No.15917416

>>15917383
Samuel was a hard man in hard times. Probably one of the more sympathetic characters by modern standards because of his trust in God.

Even David I don't entirely like. The Uriah incident upset me too much. I try to remember that a lot is going on in the background that the narrative doesn't tell us. We only get the dramatic highlights, but we're missing the several decades of wise rule and prosperity, aside from the few places in Kings where Solomon's glory is talked about.

While reading I have been thinking about the possibility that the Israelites were chosen because the world was truly evil and God needed a helping hand fighting back against it. So the Israelites aren't meant to be perfect, they are real men and partly a product of that evil society themselves, so their failures are just as real. That's why their ultimate success is so messy.

But I understand this is heretical to most, since it assumes God is not omnipotent.

Anyone else noticed that the Egyptians don't come off too badly? Everyone in Canaan, the neo-Assyrians, they're all dicks, but Egypt is mostly neutral when it's talked about.

>> No.15917423

>>15917189
Romans

>> No.15917444

>>15917416
Bah dude, you just follow a false religion.

>> No.15917467

>>15917383
this is incredibly Jewish

>> No.15917471

OT: Ecclesiastes
NT: John
can't really pick between the two, love 'em both
>>15917390
I recommend reading Mark, Matthew, Luke, and Acts before John
if you want to get to it quicker then just Mark and John
John is very different from the other gospels, it's worth it to read them before it

>> No.15917478

>>15917416
>anyone notice that the Egyptians don't come off too badly?
Probably because they were a very well established and rich culture. They didn't really have to be dicks to anyone. They had natural defensive borders and a ton of food/resources from the Nile. The Pharaoh also probably would have let Moses and his people go on vacation to take care of their worship if God hadn't hardened his heart to cause the Exodus.

>even David I don't entirely like
One thing I like a lot about David is that he was very far from a perfect person. He made some pretty terrible mistakes throughout his life, but he showed many instances of genuine faith in God. That's what redeemed him. His punishment was not being able to build the temple during his lifetime, much like Moses not being able to enter the promised land (though eventually being allowed to enter when he met Jesus for His transfiguration.

We're not supposed to like or look up to a lot of the people in the bible. We're supposed to learn from their mistakes and be better. The only person in the bible who was perfect was Jesus, and to a lesser extent Nehemiah since only God knows which mistakes he made throughout his life

>> No.15917479
File: 38 KB, 480x640, r3DdyUF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15917444

>> No.15917489

>>15917471
Ah I was planning on John because I was told it was a good place to start with the Gospels. I'll take a second look.

>> No.15917490

>>15917478
>One thing I like a lot about David is that he was very far from a perfect person.
>We're not supposed to like or look up to a lot of the people in the bible. We're supposed to learn from their mistakes and be better. The only person in the bible who was perfect was Jesus,
You can see what an immense point of contention this is between Judaism and Christianity, and also an eternal paradox for Christians: you have to try to approximate an impossible ideal of a person.

>> No.15917491

>>15917237
>>15917390
>>15917471
>ecclesiastes

athiests detected

>> No.15917496

Job is pretty good.

>> No.15917508

>>15917496
I did not like the happy ending, what's the point of it?

>> No.15917514

>>15917489
Mark, Matthew, and Luke all share a lot of similarities between them, textual theorists consider Mark the oldest written gospel of the 4 and think that it was used as a shared textual source by both Matthew and Luke which added their own elements, and then Luke has a sequel in Acts
John stands on its own by comparison, it has a rather different story and is more theologically dense than the other ones, which is probably why some would recommend it, but I think even disregarding the textual theory stuff if you just approach from a desire to read the NT then it would make sense to read at least one of the synoptics before John
Mark is considered the oldest, and it's the shortest, which is why it gets my vote for the other you'd read, but going with Luke+Acts would be good as well, and Matthew also has its shining moments such as the sermon on the mount. In the end, they're all worth it to read, if you'll limit yourself to only reading one of the gospels then John would be a wise choice since it is by and far the most 'Christian' of the bunch, but I sincerely recommend reading all of them and I'm just agnostic with an interest in religion and history

>> No.15917526

>>15917491
nah, I just like the book
philosophical musings of a king is great, lotta wisdom in there

>> No.15917571
File: 72 KB, 400x333, pepebear.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15917514
Thanks for the interesting overview. I'll definitely read them all eventually, and possibly one other before John as well.
I agree the Bible is very interesting from a historical perspective. I'm using a study Bible and discussing things with a family member who's a theology professor.

>> No.15917574

>>15917189
This picture is gross.

>> No.15917580

>>15917189
What a great picture

>> No.15917584

>>15917479
The guy that took this picture claimed to be christian though dumbass.

>> No.15917594

>>15917491
>athiests detected
Yes an education was detected, amerimutt.

>> No.15917615

>>15917571
sounds like you'll have a great experience with it then, a study bible and a knowledgeable person to talk with will certainly help you dive into the deeper elements of the text
have a good night friend, enjoy your reading

>> No.15917643

>>15917479
He didn't say all religion is false, retard. Just yours.

>> No.15917659
File: 1.05 MB, 1159x1345, Synaxis_of_the_Twelve_Apostles_by_Constantinople_master_(early_14th_c.,_Pushkin_museum).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Didache because it's a practical rundown on the exact and true meaning of the holy Sacraments.

>> No.15917675
File: 402 KB, 1500x1070, judges.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Judges is so based

>> No.15917677

>>15917471
Ecclesiastes and Job are at the top in terms of literary quality. The Deuteronomistic History is best for epic storytelling. In the NT, the Epistle to the Hebrews has the best writing. The Gospel of John starts off very strong and is theologically the most interesting. Matthew best presents the core ethical teachings of Jesus.

>> No.15917692

>>15917189
This picture is so nice, i like knowing apu has a family who loves him.

>> No.15917699

>>15917677
It's a shame that we don't know who wrote Hebrews. Absolutely sublime Epistle.

>> No.15917725

>>15917416
>While reading I have been thinking about the possibility that the Israelites were chosen because the world was truly evil and God needed a helping hand fighting back against it. So the Israelites aren't meant to be perfect, they are real men and partly a product of that evil society themselves, so their failures are just as real. That's why their ultimate success is so messy.

As a Jew, I can confirm that your reading is pretty close to how Jews view the thing, at least those I've talked with. Israelites are nothing if not human and thus extremely flawed. Yet it is true that their humanity is the very thing that allow their actions to matter on a cosmological scale.

>> No.15917727

>>15917189
Job

>> No.15917735

>>15917416
Forgot to say here >>15917725, of course Jews think God is omnipotent, but the recognition that he used a flawed instrument (the Hebrews) is very important in Jewish theology.

>> No.15917740

>>15917725
>their humanity is the very thing that allow their actions to matter on a cosmological scale
can you expand on this a bit if possible?

>> No.15917747

>>15917508
That was likely a late edition along with the beginning where God makes a bet with the devil. The writing style is completely different from the core of the book

>> No.15917753

>>15917740
seconded, interesting point

>> No.15917756

>>15917571
Read the Gospel of Thomas along with John. These two gospels give two very different depictions of Jesus

>> No.15917770

>>15917725
I'm less concerned with the Israelites being flawed than with Yahweh being so flawed. He comes across as completely unhinged and a massive prick.

>> No.15917799

>>15917756
fuck off gnostic

>> No.15917810

>>15917799
>he doesn't believe that we were meant to share in Jesus's glory
>he doesn't believe that the kingdom of heaven is within us
I pity you

>> No.15917869

>>15917740
>>15917753
One thing that really struck me is one year at Yom Kipur, when the rabbi said "the accumulation of the sins of humanity is so great that it would probably destroy the world in only three years, and that's why God instituted the Day of Repentance, to regularly clean up the sins of men and allow Creation to continue".

So in traditional Jewish theology the action of men (and especially those of Jews) have spiritual but also physical (since the separation is partly artificial anyway) effects on the Universe itself. Our sins produce cosmic clog. You see similar ideas on discussions about the afterlife, where it is sometimes say the smallest act of kindness produce overwhelming amount of light, and the smallest sin creates aeons of suffering.

My guess would be that it has to do with men being made in God's image. All of Creation praise God, but the praise of man has greatest value, and when he fails to properly praise God, it induces a lack in Creation. By virtue of his most intimate connection with the Creator man is uniquely responsible for Creation. This mostly apply to Jews who have shitloads of commandments to follow, but gentiles also have a few fundamental laws that they must respect.

I remember a rabbi saying that all things in Creation have a hidden spiritual light, and that the role of the Jews in this world is to bring out that light, to allow everything to shine with godly light (even fruits, rocks, etc, which is why you bless food before eating it). In that sense the purpose of Judaism is to participate to the perfecting of God's Creation. Which imply that when they don't do their job right, the entire universe suffers.

There's also a almost erotic element in the connection of God and Israel (the Song of Song is the most glaring example, some say it's actually normal love poetry that was canonized because it could be interpreted as a metaphor for the love between God and his people). God wants his people close to him, and the people without God aren't really themselves.

>>15917770
Probably because our morality has changed so much since then. When God punishes a whole tribe for the sins of its leader it strikes us a monstrously unjust. But in ancient morality it made perfect sense, a tribe was a moral unity. Sometimes the dissonance is big enough that God's reactions seem not unfair but simply incomprehensible, like when he strikes Israel with a plague because David tried to keep a census of the Hebrews.

Incidentally it might an indication that the ancient anticipated some of our current problems
There's a blog with a nice take on the book of Samuel in relation to that issue, it's called sam[]zdat: https://samzdat.com/.. The Bible is only one of its topic of interest, but the whole blog is worth reading.

>> No.15917874

Genesis. Because it is a bridge to the religion that preceded Judaism.

>> No.15917906

>>15917869
>I remember a rabbi saying that all things in Creation have a hidden spiritual light, and that the role of the Jews in this world is to bring out that light,
Why you guys though? Everything earlier you said about our smallest sins doing so much harm and our smallest acts of kindness producing so much light, that makes sense to me. But why is your religion only centred around you guys?

I mean everybody feels this stuff man. We get it. We aren't just goyim who don't matter

>> No.15917908

>>15917869
>almost erotic
Reminds me of Ezekiel chapter 16 where God describes rebellious Israel as an unfaithful wife. Thanks for the response.

>> No.15917916

>>15917906
Because modern "Jews" are self-idolizing heretics.

>> No.15918024

>>15917725
>>15917735
>>15917869
This is all very interesting, can you recommend any good places to start reading about this? I am inclined to similar ideas within Christianity itself like the gnostics and pelagians. I knew bits of this about Judaism but didn't know the extent.

>>15917810
Would you also mind saying more about what you believe?

>>15917478
I agree completely. I myself wonder whether there is something special about Egypt however, but that's getting into crank stuff like Akhenaten and Hermes Trismegistus so maybe I'll leave that aside lol.

Why do you say that about Nehemiah?

>> No.15918033

>>15917692
:DDD

>> No.15918036

>>15917906
>But why is your religion only centred around you guys?
The honest answer is: history. It used to be a tribal religion with presumably a narrow scope and a god who was but one among many. Then it evolved into a monotheistic religion with the god of the tribe gradually taking the attributes of the God of all creaction (probably with some outside Persian influence or whatever).

The religious answer is: precisely because the Jews were the smallest, most insignificant people on Earth. Rabbis are fond of reminding people that the mount Sinai where the Torah was given was the smallest of the major mountains in the area.

>We aren't just goyim who don't matter
I'd say goyim matter, only to a lesser extent. Their lives are also sacred, so killing them or stealing from them is breaking the law, they are also capable of righteous behavior and enlightenment.
You can see it as aristocracy versus commoners. Aristocrats don't exist without commoners, and they have some privilege, but also heavier duties that go with their privileges. Commoners have less of both. A virtous or gifted commoner will be more admired than a mediocre aristocrat (and the bar for admiration will be lower), although being gifted isn't enough to make him an aristocrat himself (iirc the talmud mentions Aristotles several times for instance).

For instance it's much easier for a goy to fulfill God's will, since he only has to not be an idolater and not be a cunt basically. So for instance all non murderous, non adulterous Muslims are already okayed, while Jews must try their best to follow 600+ commandments. The Talmud even says a goy who study the Torah stands as high as the high priest did in the time of the Temple. So any Jewish law that you accomplish will bring you more credit than it would bring me.

It's also possible to convert (although it's hard), so spiritual status isn't entirely decided by birth. Not dissimilar to how, say, a warrior who distinguished himself in the Crusades could be enobled (though it's easier to convert than to fight a Crusade).

That said, I personally dislike the communautaristic aspect of Judaism, it feels sufficating to me. But I can't pretend the theology is not refined. Most of it goes over my head, same with Christian theology.
>>15917908
Yes, unfaithful wife, that's exactly it. Unworthy and untrustworthy, but still loved, and still loving in the end.

>> No.15918045

>>15917467

I've read some kabbalist texts that interpret Samuel's story as an allegory for the Greek Gentile's (particularly the Seleucid) relationship with the Jews. Jews view David at this time as profoundly heroic precisely because he takes advantage of the rather slow, prodding Samuel who tries in good faith to observe God's wishes in spite of the mob of his own tribe that have essentially risen up against him.

>>15917189
Acts of the Apostles. Paul ethering the Judaiziers (at least until Luther) is a reminder that there was a Christianity before ZOG.

>> No.15918054

>>15918024
>why do you say that about Nehemiah?
Unlike nearly every other person in the bible, Nehemiah isn't shown to make any mistakes. He was a very good guy who accomplished a tremendous task in his restoration of the wall. He was human though, so he wasn't perfect. Any mistake he made during his life was just omitted from the text, likely due to not having any relevance or revelation for the reader

As for Egypt, I honestly wish I knew more about that topic. My knowledge of Egyptian history is unfortunately very limited. I could make a lot of guesses, but it wouldn't be very educated

>> No.15918079

>>15918036
>I'd say goyim matter, only to a lesser extent.
This is why Jews will always be hated

You are telling me my soul matters less than yours

>> No.15918125
File: 13 KB, 314x363, 450e555df8d97e7985baa13c4189433b.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

idk, im on first Chronicles and i'm trying to read the whole thing through
So far i really liked 2nd Kings because of Elijah and Elisha's wizard-like powers through God. I did think it was kinda strange how they were seemingly able to just call upon the will of God whenever to perform miracles and it just seemed totally different from how someone like Moses did it, where God had to like actually tell him when and how he can perform miracles and stuff like that. Maybe someone here can explain that, if you know what im talking about.

>> No.15918130

>>15917874
what's the religion that preceded Judaism?

>> No.15918133

>>15917675
Yeah, that one was pretty good. Samson is pretty badass

>> No.15918147

>>15918130

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Canaanite_religion

>> No.15918162

>>15918024
>This is all very interesting, can you recommend any good places to start reading about this?
Unfortunately I got all of that from face-to-face conversations, the only advice I have is studying the Talmud but it's huge. Maimonides might make a good entry point, he's a big name in both Jewish and Islamic philosophy and acknowledged as an important figure by Western philosophers as well.

There was a thread made by an orthodox Jew a few weeks ago with lots of good recs:
>>/lit/thread/S15630625

>>15918024
>>15918054
Fwiw the talmudic tradition says that at the time of the enslavement of the Hebrews, Egypt was a superpower quite comparable to the US today. Obviously an exaggeration and the captivity in Egypt might not even have happened, but it's true that Egypt was a big nation recognized for its level of achievement.

>>15918079
It's not so much about soul than about actions and duties. Ultimately all human souls come from God, the question is how much you're expected to do.
Also, quick remainder that everything you do that fulfills the Jewish laws is counted as a greater honor to you that it would be to me.

>> No.15918165

>>15918079
The Jew is being tribal, I do not hate him for it. I hate him for not allowing me to be tribal as well without risking being un-personed.

>> No.15918175

>>15918162
>It's not so much about soul than about actions and duties. Ultimately all human souls come from God, the question is how much you're expected to do.
>Also, quick remainder that everything you do that fulfills the Jewish laws is counted as a greater honor to you that it would be to me.
it's coming right back around at you pretty soon

>> No.15918187

>>15918165
i love the jews and always have

my whole heart in the past while has been going out to you guys about the deep wrong that is coming to you

>> No.15918192

As a kid I really liked the books of Samuel and kings because it was very narrative driven and such. But now, being older, there is nothing that can beat the gospels.

>> No.15918197
File: 32 KB, 333x500, 51HAzIEPmJL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15918147
did you ever see this book? i was thinking of checking it out, looks interesting. apparently there's some cult in the middle east that still worships Baal and stuff like that. i think that kind of stuff is interesting, like ancient worship of pagan gods from bible times and stuff like that

>> No.15918204

>>15918165
I don't abide by the tribal mentality of my people, I just explain itt what I have understood of it. As I said above I dislike the mentality.

>without risking being un-personed
Nobody is going to unperson you here.

>>15918175
What is "it"?

>> No.15918218

>>15918197
>apparently there's some cult in the middle east that still worships Baal and stuff like that
Is it an ancient tradition or just people LARPing as pseudo-satanit?

Old belief sometimes survive longer than is thought. I once met an historian that told me about that time Inquisitors in the 19th century discovered a shamanic cult in the South of France.

>> No.15918225

>>15918197
>cult in the middle east that still worships Baal
Yeah, that's just Islam

>> No.15918233

Would you just stop hating me for not being Jewish? for fuck's sake's that is all i ask of you

>> No.15918274

>>15918233
But I love you anon. All that hatred you imagine is in your own heart. You've got to learn to love yourself.

>> No.15918314

>>15918197

News to me. I will check it out if there is a free ebook available.

>> No.15918315

>>15918314
could be just a bunch of LARPers, idk

>> No.15918329

>>15917659
based, gonna read it soon

>> No.15918795

What bible translation would you guys recommend? I'm about to buy a Nelson KJV bible.

>> No.15918910
File: 1.79 MB, 2048x1536, Israel_28199_Bible_paintings_in_Castra_center_Haifa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15917189
Bereshit, Shmû’ēl, Yĕsha‘ăyāhû, Tehillim, Mishlei, Iyyôbh, Shīr Hashīrīm, Rūth, Qōheleth, Estēr, Euangélion katà Loukân, Euangélion katà Iōánnēn, Apokalypsis

>> No.15918925

>>15918795
KJV with good annotations. NJV is also fine if you're a brainlet. There are a few others that are really good, but it comes down to personal preference. KJV isn't the most accurate translation available, but it's good if you also want to read the bible for literary purposes

>> No.15919055
File: 162 KB, 702x875, bereshitalter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15918795
Robert Alter.

>> No.15919060

>>15917467
so is most of the Bible

>> No.15919068

>>15917491
it is stylistically one of the most elaborate and complex books of the collection

>> No.15919431

>>15918795
KJV for aesthetics
Oxford RSV or REB study bibles for academic reading

>> No.15919543

Now that this thread has been up for a while, I want to ask you all what your favorite commentaries are.
I really enjoy John Calvin's, despite not agreeing with him entirely theologically. I find that he's got a sensible and interesting approach to scripture for the most part, and I can see how trying to apply that rationality to the entirety of the Bible would lead him to his doctrines.
An excerpt from his commentary on John:
>"And the light shineth in darkness."
>It might be objected, that the passages of Scripture in which men are called blind are so numerous and that the blindness for which they are condemned is but too well known. For in all their reasoning faculties they miserably fail. How comes it that there are so many labyrinths of errors in the world, but because men, by their own guidance, are led only to vanity and lies? But if no light appears in men, that testimony of the divinity of Christ, which the Evangelist lately mentioned, is destroyed; for that is the third step, as I have said, that in the life of men there is something more excellent than motion and breathing. The Evangelist anticipates this question, and first of all lays down this caution, that the light which was originally bestowed on men must not be estimated by their present condition; because in this corrupted and degenerate nature light has been turned into darkness. And yet he affirms that the light of understanding is not wholly extinguished; for, amidst the thick darkness of the human mind, some remaining sparks of the brightness still shine.

>> No.15919709

job because it made me become an atheist

>> No.15919848

>>15917508
His old wife says "curse god and die" during his suffering, so a new wife is the perfect happy ending.

>> No.15919865

>>15917747
That's the foreshadowing of eternal happiness of the saved.

>> No.15919940

>>15918036
Thank you for the insightful post anon

>> No.15919953

>>15919055
best translation of the hebrew bible for sure

>> No.15919980
File: 3.82 MB, 1200x2396, 1577037423314.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15917189
Easily Mark

>> No.15920245

>>15919865
But it betrays the meaning of the God's speech. God doesn't make these grandiose promises to Job of eternal life or a renewal of all his possessions. These are not the reasons for us to do good acts, we do good acts because it is our duty. It does not matter if good or evil occurs after our deeds, it is not our place to understand all this or have God answer for them. By saying there is an eternal reward cheapens this message and reinforces the thought that good acts = rewards. A good person does not need this incentive

>> No.15920609

>>15917416
Bro just read Chronicles and pretend Solomon and David never did anything wrong

>> No.15921556

>>15919709
if the Book of Job made you an atheist then you understood nothing of it

>> No.15921959

>>15918233
nobody hates you lil Jew, we are all friends here.

>> No.15922288

>>15921959
reading comprehension

>> No.15922558
File: 122 KB, 540x427, 1582845763911.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15917491
>Ecclesiastes
>atheists
the whole point is that Solomon doesn't call relationships with others and with God meaningless, and he highlights that everything is meaningless with God. Creation is purposeless without its Creator, brainlet.

>> No.15922572

>>15922558
*without God

>> No.15922710

Proverbs
Wisdom
James
I've noticed that I keep referring back to these 3 books in my quest to find purpose in life.

>> No.15923551

>>15919543
So was Calvin an Augustinian?

>> No.15923821

>>15917491
>Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecclesiasteses 12:13
There's some good stuff in there anon. Don't write it off just because those that don't believe read it as well

>> No.15923953
File: 6 KB, 200x200, download (19).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>nice thread
>want to convey appreciation
>realize it's bible thread
>can unironically say "god bless you all"

god bless you all

>> No.15923994

When I was a child I thought the Old testament was so much more interesting, it really appeals to the childish mind
everyone who named an old testament book is a child
Graduate to the New (kino) Testament children

>> No.15924167
File: 229 KB, 769x611, 1595287639746.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Revelations

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

>> No.15924764

>>15923953
right back at ya lad

>> No.15925039

>>15917675
The story of the woman cut in parts is just majestic.

>> No.15925122

>>15917189
Genesis but the part about joseph

>> No.15925133

>>15917189
The one where Paul refutes your image.

>> No.15925675

>>15923953
God bless you too anon

>> No.15925707
File: 49 KB, 789x750, 1593109090433.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Im still slogging through Numbers

>> No.15925720

>>15925707
I thought Numbers was even harder to get through than Leviticus.

>> No.15925776
File: 71 KB, 357x415, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gospel of John
>23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many believed in his name when they saw the signs that he was doing. 24 But Jesus on his part did not entrust himself to them, because he knew all people 25 and needed no one to bear witness about man, for he himself knew what was in man.
John 2

>> No.15925933

>>15917189
bible is indeed toilet paper.

>> No.15925943

>>15925707
It's a slog, but the ending is good

>> No.15927180

>>15921556
i understood it i just dont agree with the way the author twisted it to praise god in the end. Replacing jobs dead kids and wife with new ones does not erase the dead kids and wife god and satan can go fuck themselves

>> No.15927367

As a gentile reading the whole bible all the way through, idk how I feel about jews. I kinda feel like gentiles got cucked

>> No.15927790

>>15927367
>I kinda feel like gentiles got cucked
we did

>> No.15928037

>>15917189
The Gospels, of course

>> No.15928294

Matthew and John are my favorite books.

>> No.15928478

>>15917869
>In that sense the purpose of Judaism is to participate to the perfecting of God's Creation
Through promoting race-mixing, mass-immigration, sodomy and globalism!

>> No.15928484

>>15917189
Luke.

>> No.15928560
File: 8 KB, 102x109, tentadunno.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15928478
da JOOZ!!!!!

>> No.15928610

>>15928478
those are all things that 'Christians' do too, amazing what you can attribute to people that don't actually believe in the religion they publicly identify as

>> No.15928852

>>15928610
>he believes that Judaism is the problem and not the Jews
Y I K E S

>> No.15928928

>>15928852
I don't even know what you're getting at, the problem is hypocrites that claim to be part of a group and then behave in opposition to the publicly stated beliefs of said group

>> No.15929574

It's hard to say which is my specific favorite. For me, the fun part is seeing how all the prophecies that were made by the prophets, and all the promises made by God in the OT, are fulfilled in the NT, by Jesus being the Messiah.

>> No.15929946

>>15918795
Orthodox Study Bible

>> No.15930609

>>15917189
Old Testament: Deuteronomy / Job / Isaiah / Jeremiah
New Testament: Matthew / John / 1 Corinthians / Philemon / Hebrews

Its impossible for me to choose only one actually.

>> No.15931410

any of the gospels

>> No.15932405

bump