[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1023 KB, 1638x2442, meh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15905852 No.15905852 [Reply] [Original]

Well, I've just finished part 4 and think I got all I could from it. Her husband forgives, Levin gets to live a good and faithful life and she learns nothing from the experience. I guess it's all about the power of forgiveness and how to live a fullfiling life in God.
Tolstoy is indeed a great writer, the imagery he can convey is brilliant, but I got fed up from the all of the characters. Maybe that was the point, to paint a portrait of the decaying Russian aristocracy, I don't know. There was some discussion regarding the social changes that were happening over Russia at the time, and those were nice - specially the ones about farming.
It's impossible not to compare Tolstoy and Dostoyevski, and I get the feeling that Tolstoy writes on the vertical and Dosto on the horizontal. While one can write people from all social classes and different backgrounds, the other goes deep into the consciousness of a limited cast.
What did you get from the book?

>> No.15905865

I have no comment on your post.

I just want to say the Penguin Deluxe version of AK has a terrible cover.
If you're going to make a 'deluxe' version, at least give us some good artwork.

>> No.15906334

>>15905852
go on anon, she reaps what she sows at the end don't worry