[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 567 KB, 1518x2326, Lermontov.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15817827 No.15817827 [Reply] [Original]

DAMN...

>> No.15817921

That was fucking amazing.
I didn't care much for the first part, all that introduction where the supposed "autor" founds and get access to the diary of Pechorin, but when the diary starts jesus christ, it's just a hell of a ride. What a great and memorable character. He's the great nihilist all these guys were talking during modernity, definitely what Nietzsche had in mind when he proclamed the death of god, and the main inspiration for all Dostoievski's (great) nihilist characters.

It even felt as if Lermontov archivied with this book what Turgueniev tried to archive with Fathers and Sons, Pechorin is definitely a way superior success than Bazarov, and although the messages of both those books are kind of similar, I think Lermontov has a certain charisma depicting the modern nihilist decadency that Turgeniev just doesn't have. Pechorin writings just feels way more personal, like on a more intimate level, and we get too see all the darkness and desperation, while Bazarov feels just disgusting at times.

>> No.15817960

>>15817921
Ah, I forgot to add: I didn't care much for the introduction part at first, but once you finish the book you just feel that part just had to be there, it's a very well rounded work in that sense.

>> No.15818481

>>15817827
>>15817921
>>15817960
thanks
you have convinced me to finally read it

>> No.15818540
File: 91 KB, 453x700, lermontov.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15817827
This is one of my favorite books of all time. Nabokov's notes on it are hilarious.

>> No.15819049

Should be more widely recognized as a classic of Russian lit. Lermontov was doing a Hemingway projection 100 years before, Pechorin is pretty much vicariously "him". Would have been interesting had he not died so young to see where he would stand amongst Russian authors now.

>> No.15819082

>>15817921
I like the first bit better than the diary tbqh. The descriptions of the Caucasus mountains are unequaled

>> No.15819303

>>15819049
It is widely recognized as a classic. I think among average people it just gets overshadowed by the monumental works Tolstoy and Dostoevsky put out later on - War and Peace has a gravitas all its own just by dint of being so enormous both in size and scope.

>>15817921
Pechorin really does feel like the consummate 19th century decadent. I agree that Bazarov never felt as real or as engaging as Pechorin. Those outer elements in the Caucasus are definitely necessary - they give Pechorin his graceful entrance and exit from the story that provides the frame for his life before. (Heart of Darkness has the best defense of framing devices in literature that I've read.)

>> No.15819546

>>15819303
I still think the works of Pushkin (who he was constantly compared to), Gogol, Chekhov, Turganev and other Golden Age writers overshadows him a bit as well. I haven't read his poetry though.

>> No.15819718

>>15817921
I don't think it's a fair comparison. Pechorin above all is a fatalist (also The Fatalist is the best chapter of the book), he is totally resigned when it comes to life. I would think that he would disagree being labelled a nihilist, he simply wouldn't care enough about such things to even take note of them. If anything he is an early existentialist, a man devoid of meaning and in turn resigned, yet this is a much too simple summarization of him. He is beyond simple labels. These events are nothing to him but ways to relieve himself of boredom, he would gladly die on the battlefield without a moment of remorse. He does have a romantic flair about him though, say what you will be he is an attractive figure.

Bazarov in the other hand is simply an over-educated child who has no experience with life. Turgueniev himself clearly despises him and sees in him the poor youth of his day with their "great ideas" which are in fact laughably simplistic and immature. Arkady may not be as intelligent and gifted as Bazarov but he is capable of being a grownup and throws these childish nihilistic ideas away with time, yet Bazarov is unable to grow up.

Pechorin is absolutely my favourite character in literature, I met my fiance because of Lermontov. This is a very dear book to me.

>> No.15819784

>>15819546
Well no Russian author can ever escape Pushkin's shadow, he's simply a national icon even beyond the intense love Russian's have for his literary works. Gogol likewise was a foundational author for Russian literature and particularly St. Petersburg's identity as a city. Chekhov is the undisputed Russian master of the short story and play - and also one of the last great authors before the revolution. Lermentov would likely have outstripped other authors, especially Turgenev, if he had lived longer and had at least one more significant work. Unfortunately he died young with only one significant prose contribution. I also haven't read his poetry, but Russian poetry translates extremely poorly to English so it's no surprise that hasn't grabbed much attention abroad. However, he's still extremely well regarded in Russia and in American academic curricula, so I don't feel like his reputation is hurting.

>> No.15819826

>>15819718
>I met my fiance because of Lermontov
That's very sweet desu, I knew a 10/10 girl who also loved Lermontov, wish I'd married her

>> No.15820043

>>15818540
They really are funny, I saved a few where he roasts Balzac and calls out various elements of the book itself

>> No.15821569

>>15817921
man

thanks for the hype

i'll definitely read it

>> No.15821740

>>15819546
>Pushkin
Is relevant. I don't live in the Russiasphere, and how much room in world literature is there for duelling-obsessed semi-autobiographical low/mid-rank gentlemen of the Russian imperial periphery. If someone's got an interest in that, they'll go street for Eugene Oneigin. Obviously. It's one of those cases where the disciple damages the master, not because he's better, but - perversely - because his influence is greater.

>>15819718
>Turgueniev himself clearly despises him
This is maybe a weakness in the book. I much prefer the adventures in the wilderness/at the shore because as a social critic he's lacking the deeper sympathy and humanity of later writers.

>> No.15821801

>>15817827
This is my favorite book of all time.
I find the superfluous man trope to be extremely relatable in the modern age.

>> No.15822160

>>15819784
Of course, it's just another "what if" case really, I think Russian society expected Lemontov to inherit Pushkin's mantle in literature but he had to go and die like a fool. I wonder if he was trying to relive Pechorins life in reality as some absurd wish fulfilment but I guess we will never know. I can read Russian pretty well, my excuse is that I'm just a lazy bastard who rarely goes of their way to read poetry when it's not forced on me. Saying that, I'll see if I can find some of Lemontovs collected works to read now.
>>15821740
Pushkin is more or less the Godfather of Russian literature, like the other anon said. His place at the top is indisputable especially with how much he influenced other Golden Age writers. Perhaps his prose does not have the same appeal to a modern audience but anyone who is studying Russian literature with any intent cannot avoid him.

>> No.15822203

Am I a pleb for thinking W&P>>all other golden age Russian novels?

>> No.15822216

>>15822203
i agree

>> No.15822223

>>15822203
Even above Anna K? I've read major works from p much every big Russian but Anna K is my definite favorite. I've yet to read WnP though

>> No.15822248

i've read all of dostoyevsky, all of tolstoy and dead souls. where should i go next in russian golden age?

>> No.15822297

>>15822248
Chekov
Bulgakov

>> No.15822303

>>15822248
Turgenev and Goncharov or Chekhov and Bunin for short ones