[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 106 KB, 700x622, 13009.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15815126 No.15815126 [Reply] [Original]

Where to start with deleuze? also which one of his books with guattari would you recommend?

>> No.15815709

bump

>> No.15815743

>>15815126
The Greeks. I mean, a question like this is ludicrous if you refuse to give us any background. You can't just hop in, you need to commit.

>> No.15815749

>>15815126
Not like they had that many, you can start with any of them to be quite honest. ATP is nothing like AO, which is nothing like WiP, which is nothing like Kafka, but you might want to start with that last one.
Supossing you already have some grounding on Spinoza, Nietzsche, Bergson or Hume, just start with his book/s about him/them. If you've read Whitehead and Peirce then Cinema's would be more suitable for you, but you also need to watch the movies and read the filmmakers.
Tackle LoS, D&R, ATP, AO and Proust whenever you feel confident enough, but having in mind that Deleuze's shorter writings (Compiled in: Two Regimes of Madness; and Desert Islands) are of great help through your course. You will never be read enough to tackle them like you'd like (Anti-Oedipus, for example, implies a firm grasp of Freud, Marx, Lacan, Klein, Bateson, Nietzsche, Foucault, Beckett, Proust, Kafka, Reich, Bataille, McLuhan, Artaud, Klossowski, Lawrence, semiotics and anthropology in general, the Beats, etc.) but that shouldn't stop you from having an understanding of D&G's concepts

>> No.15815811

>>15815126
The Logic of Sense->AO->ATP->Dif and Rep

>> No.15816357

>>15815743
>>15815749
I'm sorry, I should've clarified that I don't have any foundational knowledge in philosophy. I have some vague understanding of existentialism, nihilism and absurdism but beyond that I'm completely clueless. I've watched some videos on certain philosophers but I wouldn't dare to say I understand them.
As for psychology, I have absolutely no knowledge about it. Like zero. I know a few important names but that's really it.
I'm starting to get into postmodern philosophers mostly because their ideas sound very interesting to me, especially those of deleuze and baudrillard. The fact that there's so much to study before them is a bit disappointing, but to be expected. Guess I'll see what I can learn before diving into deleuze. thank you

>> No.15816372

>>15815126
I went straight into ATP and I'm enjoying it plenty. As long as you have some basic background in idealism, preferably Kant, you should be good to go.

>> No.15816391

>>15816357
Don't be discouraged. That anon said the works "imply a firm grasp of..." <long list> but that's not really true. Usually when D&G invoke a concept they explain it or contextualize it. Having already read the laundry list will deepen your understanding but is not a prerequisite.

>> No.15816798

>>15816391
ok cool. But I think I'm still gonna read up on essential philosophy as it seems to be intertwined with postmodern theory quite a lot. thanks