[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 176 KB, 750x600, 750px-Gustave_Doré_-_Dante_Alighieri_-_Inferno_-_Plate_65_(Canto_XXXI_-_The_Titans).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1575385 No.1575385 [Reply] [Original]

So /lit/, I have to write an essay over whether hell is comprised of fire or ice in persuasive writing while quoting "Fire & Ice" by Robert Frost and Dante's Inferno, and Paradise Lost if I want to. Thoughts/useful quotes from those texts are appreciated.

>> No.1575411

thats a gay topic. that highschool or something?

>> No.1575414

That definitely sounds like a high school essay to the point that I wouldn't even know how to approach it. I guess all I would say is remember that it's more about how you make your point than about the point itself, the language you use and the way you deploy your evidence. Don't get too caught up in the argument, just dazzle 'em with the quotes.

>> No.1575430

>I have to write an essay over whether hell is comprised of fire or ice in persuasive writing

Are you shitting me?

>> No.1575436

>>1575414
/thread

Shitty English teachers suck.

>> No.1575485

I was given the option of going with a narrative, here's the intro:I awoke to pure white surrounding me, the cold dulling all of my five senses. I struggled to stand as the ice crunched under my bare knees and uncovered feet, forcing me to wonder what became of my under appreciated jeans. I looked down as I blinked the frost out of my eyes, and began wiping the blood off of my hands and onto the pure snow. The sudden realization of my location caused tremors worse than those that the cold had brought upon me. In deep contrast to all of the flame and whip filled representations of the afterlife for the damned, Hell took me to the very core of human fear. Isolation and vulnerability.

>> No.1575584

>>1575485
It reads like you're trying to sound like someone else, and not really succeeding. Try cutting the purple prose down a notch or two.

>> No.1575595

Oh christ.

I used to substitute-teach. I wound up teaching a lot of freshman English classes, sometimes for a week or two at a time, and every so often I'd have to give an assignment like this. I would apologize and tell them not to ask me for help. Then I'd add that teacher's name to a list I was keeping of jobs never to take again.

Eventually I had to quit when I just wasn't getting enough work. Most of it was a round of teacher layoffs (they basically say "fuck you" to their subs and let recently-laid-off teachers get their first pick of any absences to fill) but there was a significant percentage of jobs I wouldn't take because of previous bad experiences.